Sockeye on the way

Lots of fishers off Malcolm Pt today (Malcolm Island) including commercial boats (8 in total commercial)...

Picked up one oddball in the snot yesterday off secretary.One day early. May search them out tomorrow if the wind dies down a little

Hopefully I can quarterback the power play tomorrow and get a hatty but need some good help from the forum.

“99”
This is not the Montreal Forum and we don't need a quarterback we got Lulay. It is still early in the season.

Nicely said, Lulay is injured again just got news from my connection in BC .... no trophy fish for the lions this year.

I will post tomorrow.

Out

“99”

Nicely said, Lulay is injured again just got news from my connection in BC .... no trophy fish for the lions this year.

I will post tomorrow.

Out

“99”
The early sockeye are harder to catch but they are here, the thick of the run is coming daily and will continue until late September. The great one deserves a clear answer!

3EC9A009-2B9F-43D3-A0F8-3CA200F5E198.jpeg
I wouldn't attempt to put flashers in line like that unless they are the free spinning ones. That thing would just make a big huge circular motion that could tangle your stuff. The konezone doesn't have a wide pattern.
I guess this is the Konezone you mention. I didn’t know what it was called but I used it right off the ball on one side in Port Alberni in 2015 I think. I used a dummy on the other side. Fished four rods, caught lots and it wasn’t that hard from what I remember. Now I just went and bought that single to run maybe with a dummy but now think I’ll just go buy another single and run it with one of the smalls to have three rotating flashes on each side. Two big and one small. Might be better being a bit shorter, less worry of it reaching the prop when up and stopped. The singles are only $15
I’ll add a dummy above those and might just start with one rod each side and see how it goes! Does anyone add a dummy between rods in a stack?

View attachment 39339
I guess this is the Konezone you mention. I didn’t know what it was called but I used it right off the ball on one side in Port Alberni in 2015 I think. I used a dummy on the other side. Fished four rods, caught lots and it wasn’t that hard from what I remember. Now I just went and bought that single to run maybe with a dummy but now think I’ll just go buy another single and run it with one of the smalls to have three rotating flashes on each side. Two big and one small. Might be better being a bit shorter, less worry of it reaching the prop when up and stopped. The singles are only $15
I’ll add a dummy above those and might just start with one rod each side and see how it goes! Does anyone add a dummy between rods in a stack?
Looks promising...

In 2014 I ran dummy-rod-dummy-rod-dummy, but in hindsight it would have been easier to just run dummy-dummy-dummy-rod-rod. That was my first season ever fishing with downriggers and to be honest I bumbled my way through it. I'm surprised I did as well as I did. Lots to do with help from this forum. I have some pretty wild stuff planned for this year for sure. They're not going to know what hit them lol.

Looks promising...

In 2014 I ran dummy-rod-dummy-rod-dummy, but in hindsight it would have been easier to just run dummy-dummy-dummy-rod-rod. That was my first season ever fishing with downriggers and to be honest I bumbled my way through it. I'm surprised I did as well as I did. Lots to do with help from this forum. I have some pretty wild stuff planned for this year for sure. They're not going to know what hit them lol.

Ya me too. I’m going to experiment. Would be good to build a big volumous (?) field of flash I bet. Like a school. Maybe I should put the kones between the rods as the middle of the school.
I like your idea of perma-dummies!
Might do that too!

I was thinking for the early part of the season I was going to run a kozone then above it a anchovie with no flasher then above that a rod with sockeye.

I guess It will depend on Jumpers If I good full sockeye. Friday Morning looks good but I have to take my son to an appointment. Probably try Monday. North Arm to Sand Heads

Ya me too. I’m going to experiment. Would be good to build a big volumous (?) field of flash I bet. Like a school. Maybe I should put the kones between the rods as the middle of the school.
I like your idea of perma-dummies!
Might do that too!
Just remember that when you reset you'll have to deal with the KZ. Nice to leave it down if you can.
I was thinking for the early part of the season I was going to run a kozone then above it a anchovie with no flasher then above that a rod with sockeye.

I guess It will depend on Jumpers If I good full sockeye. Friday Morning looks good but I have to take my son to an appointment. Probably try Monday. North Arm to Sand Heads
As soon as I get the boat back I'm going. Probably going to start out deep at the North Arm at the tide line then head South.

Just remember that when you reset you'll have to deal with the KZ. Nice to leave it down if you can.

As soon as I get the boat back I'm going. Probably going to start out deep at the North Arm at the tide line then head South.

Ya I’d have to deal with a dummy if it was there too tho. But I don’t think I’m even going to stack rods anyway. I think with enough flash below them, I can get enough strikes to be content. Don’t really need to get our limits that fast really do we? Especially if conditions are good.

I’m gonna try to fish out there Saturday afternoon, hit the fireworks, False creek, and sockeye again Sunday morn. That’s the plan!
And a report or two:)

Ya I’d have to deal with a dummy if it was there too tho. But I don’t think I’m even going to stack rods anyway. I think with enough flash below them, I can get enough strikes to be content. Don’t really need to get our limits that fast really do we?o:)

They are a boring fish to catch, most time I just skate them on the surface. Extra rods and gear add to the kayoss and fun.
I prefer to catch them fast and get back to the launch before 9am. My best has been 8 fish in 1 hour 3 minutes. Trying to beat that this year.lol oh and now I have a GoPro and want to land a quad. On film . Lol . I’ve landed a few triples solo. That’s the stuff that makes sockeye fun.
I’m itching to get out. Saturday can come fast anough.

They are a boring fish to catch, most time I just skate them on the surface. Extra rods and gear add to the kayoss and fun.
I prefer to catch them fast and get back to the launch before 9am. My best has been 8 fish in 1 hour 3 minutes. Trying to beat that this year.lol oh and now I have a GoPro and want to land a quad. On film . Lol . I’ve landed a few triples solo. That’s the stuff that makes sockeye fun.
Kind of a contradiction...oh they are boring to catch...but I cant wait. Haha.

Ha ha, I hear ya. Different ways of approaching it I guess but I do want to fish for more than an hour. I think once I’ve got a few on ice I’ll switch out the rods to my 7’ cheap and wimpy casting sticks for a little extra challenge!
But triples solo, that’s funny. Looking forward to that vid!

Back