Tuna, 2018 - it won't be long

I did a trip. Got skunked a couple of weeks ago. Enjoyed it tho. Saw about a 7 foot shark repeatedly rubbing itself on a small log. Could not identify it tho. It was not a blue or a thresher. Never saw that before. Theres always firsts out there. Spent some time with dolphins and saw some whales too but they were so far off that there was no id to be had.

Will be up in Nootka from the aug 23-26 anyone else up there that time want to head out if water and weather work out?

Looks like there is a good amount of Fraser sockeye taking the outside of Vancouver island this year, they typical do that whe outside waters are cool. Over the last 10 years they have diverted more to the inside colder waters.

Still to early formally make a call on the diversion rate.

Still if they end up going the outside this year, I’d imagine that the tuna might be further away.

I find this thread interesting that as it’s diametrically opposed to salmon fishing.

Looks like there is a good amount of Fraser sockeye taking the outside of Vancouver island this year, they typical do that whe outside waters are cool. Over the last 10 years they have diverted more to the inside colder waters.

Still to early formally make a call on the diversion rate.

Still if they end up going the outside this year, I’d imagine that the tuna might be further away.

I find this thread interesting that as it’s diametrically opposed to salmon fishing.

2007-2011 with cooler water conditions on the coast generally produced better and more consistent tuna fishing for commercial and sporties in Canadian waters. The warm water blob in recent years didn’t move the tuna in any closer, it often just resulted in weak and cluttered temp breaks in the canyons.

2007-2011 with cooler water conditions on the coast generally produced better and more consistent tuna fishing for commercial and sporties in Canadian waters. The warm water blob in recent years didn’t move the tuna in any closer, it often just resulted in weak and cluttered temp breaks in the canyons.

That’s pretty cool, sounds like might be setting for a wicked tuna year, hope you guys get lots

This.

Colder water temps on the banks make for harder temp and chloro breaks on the edge, hope we get the weather to go hunting!

Having only been out for tooners once....this makes me hard. :p

This Tofino video below was posted of a trip in early July (2012). Commercial vessels are out there starting in June if the conditions are right. Reports out of Westport WA past few days at the 125 longitude have been pretty decent minus the weather (one charter pulled in 45 fish last week), same temperatures and chlorophyl 50 miles offshore there as we have 60-80 miles offshore here currently. Same water, we just have to work harder to get there...

Saw a photo from a bud today out of Tofino....they are out there!

Pretty big smiles with the first one of the year!! :cool::cool:
They looked pretty good size as well
Hopefully weather is good around Nootka end of August still looking for a couple partner boats 23-26

Saw a photo from a bud today out of Tofino....they are out there!

Pretty big smiles with the first one of the year!! :cool::cool:
Any idea how far ? The Terrafin shots are all pretty poor this week,its tough to put together a clear picture with 1 star images.

anyone got a new water shot heading out in two weeks if it all works out?
Looking for out of Nootka

Back