Kinked leader

wagonmaster

Like a lot of guys, when done fishing with a particular lure, I roll up the leader and put it through a small section of plastic straw. Problem is, when I go to use it again, it is full of kinks which seem to be relatively permanent. I'm thinking that the drag of the lure in the water is not straightening out the leader and that I have a bunch of kinked line out in front of my bait or spoon. Anybody have a better system of storing the lure, leader and swivel between trips? What brand of line has the least amount of memory? Thanks in advance for any input.

@Waterwolf2230 was showing a product he uses that was for adressing the same problem. I cant recall tge name? He should be able to help

i wrap my leader around three of my fingers. the last wrap i wrap around the formed loops. i undo it when fishing and give it a quick tug. never a kink ever. in fact i re-tie if there’s a kink

Just pinch it between your moistened index and thumb, apply pressure, strip through a few times. Should straighten right out. Unless you have hard firm kinks in the leader, its not going to do much. Doing this also lets you feel for any nicks or frays.

Line can get old and hard after some use especially in the salt. Line on reels can get wound up and prone to tangle as well. An old trick I've used for years is run the spool of your reel loaded with line under a tap of hot water for a couple mins. Remember mono line is just plastic give it some heat and it smooths out. Same goes for leaders on lures, when they get all narled up and kinky wrap them around something round and small enough to handle easily and run them under a hot tap,, works good.

At the end of each day I always retie everything and then store them in plastic bags till I use them. So no kinks.

I don't concern myself with it. Check the action beside the boat. I use Maxima if that makes a difference

I can take a photo of what I made that works great. Took a length of PVC pipe and wrapped it in the foam pipe insulation that had a small gap in it. Put screws in it to hook the leading end of your leader on to and then you just wrap the length of leader with the lure on around it; tuck the hook into the foam and you never have to get kinky again. In saying that there are commercial products which will do the same thing; I just thought I was being somewhat innovative. :p

I can take a photo of what I made that works great. Took a length of PVC pipe and wrapped it in the foam pipe insulation that had a small gap in it. Put screws in it to hook the leading end of your leader on to and then you just wrap the length of leader with the lure on around it; tuck the hook into the foam and you never have to get kinky again. In saying that there are commercial products which will do the same thing; I just thought I was being somewhat innovative. :p

Would love to see it!

I use a inline pipe water filter, the ones with ridges or 3/16th indentations if you will. You just wrap your leader around the filter and stick the hook into the ridge between the indentations. The filters are made from a felt like material. the leader is going around something that is round and won't kink the leader.

Pool noodle. Stick in hook, wrap line, then push swivel in foam. I keep my first 2 sets in a small sink on my boat sandwiched between rags.

Pool noodle x 2,
Except, push in Swivel, wrap line, then set the hooks!

Pool noodle x 3 . I slice up one side to push in swivel, wrap the line and set hook. Can keep them in a bucket, toss them to someone, rinse off in place - works great.

Would love to see it!

I also use a pool noodle idea also. I put screws thru the pipe for hoochies as I don't use swivels on them......the adhesive pipe wrap allows one to wedge the swivels into the gap to utilize the stickey part of the wrap. Drilled screws thru about 1.5-2" apart in the pipe and then added the sticky foam. Great thing is it works for hoochies and rigs with a swivel. Only took a pic of the teaser piece but the screws are awesome if you just loop tie your hoochies.

IMG_20180802_200005.jpg

Been using leaders wrapped up in straws for like 20 years. Never had a problem with kinks in line. If I did the line would be toast. I use 40 lb seagar blue edtion. Expensive as hell but it works. If you pull on your leader with a good tug and does not straighten out in the water time for a new leader.

Like a lot of guys, when done fishing with a particular lure, I roll up the leader and put it through a small section of plastic straw. Problem is, when I go to use it again, it is full of kinks which seem to be relatively permanent. I'm thinking that the drag of the lure in the water is not straightening out the leader and that I have a bunch of kinked line out in front of my bait or spoon. Anybody have a better system of storing the lure, leader and swivel between trips? What brand of line has the least amount of memory? Thanks in advance for any input.

Used to use straws, stopped for the same reason.

Wrap the line around your fingers into neat loops, and use 1 (sometimes 2 if the line is heavy) 1 inch sections of twist-tie. Keep a bunch of the cut twist ties in your box. Cut some wine corks to protect the hook points too.

I also do the pool noodle thing for bait rigs. Use a paper towel dispenser on the boat for the noodle, stays neat and tidy.

Back