FYI - Area 123 out front of Ukee open for Sockeye apparently on Wednesday huge schools I've been told. Limit will be 4 per person per day! Coho offshore hitting your gear just trying to get it down, not just the odd time there's tons one hit after another even hitting just teaser heads dragging on the surface of the water waiting to get rigged back up. Chinook fishing excellent! Halibut fishing is fantastic.

Thanks for the info uclueletcharters.

There hasn't been much action inside this week. Hoping to get out after work today with a couple friends from the mainland. Hope it's glassy out there. Don't think they have sea legs.

Some details on Sockeye I extracted from DFO notice below:

FN0666-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - South Coast - Sockeye Retention in Southern BC Marine Waters

Effective 00:01 hours Wednesday, August 01, 2018 until further notice, in those
waters currently open to salmon fishing in the following Areas, the daily limit
for recreationally caught sockeye is four (4) per day:

- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island) Note that Area
23 is currently closed to the retention of sockeye targeting Barkley Sound
sockeye;

Posting pictures of fish does nothing for most members wanting some basic info such as:
-where?..,,,doesn’t have to be specifics but offshore or inshore is a starting point
-depth, etc.

I love the pics they're the best part, maybe thank him for sharing them instead of wanting him to take you by the hand and show you how and where they came from.

As far as where he caught them here is the run down.

Every one was caught in the mouth.
Depth was below the surface of the water.
Technique used, hook and line.

But this is just my guess of course lol..

Just fished 3 days in Ukee, coho are getting big and hungry stuffed full of krill. Lots of salmon action with several nice springers stuffed with horse herring. We caught both on green or purple flashers...didn’t seem to matter and purple white hootchies or kokanee killer spoons. The pacific mackerel and black cod are active and mess with Halibut efforts, but make great crab bait. The weather has been soupy, fog off shore with visibility under a half mile but really flat running to the big bank.

I love the pics they're the best part, maybe thank him for sharing them instead of wanting him to take you by the hand and show you how and where they came from.

As far as where he caught them here is the run down.

Every one was caught in the mouth.
Depth was below the surface of the water.
Technique used, hook and line.

But this is just my guess of course lol..

I consider pics from fishing guides with no information free advertisement or indirect free advertisement, but that’s just my opinion

Not looking to be spoon fed on how/where to catch fish but my point was....if you want free advertisement, provide abit of a information with it

tubby if your coming out fishing this way I'm happy to share intel just pm me I share all the time. If your a non member and a troll I can't be PM'd or don't know the area then it could be tough to take any intel away from my posts. I enjoy sharing with members and contributors not folks that troll the site looking to skim the site for intel, a reciprocal approach :) I like to post pics so people know the reports are real and not fishing stories :) Big Bank is correct, it's the place to be right now. Inshore not so good but rains could change that. Small spoons, chovies 40 ft off the bottom been best chin wise, coho are in the top area of the water. It's a one stop shop out there right now.

Last edited:
I consider pics from fishing guides with no information free advertisement or indirect free advertisement, but that’s just my opinion

Not looking to be spoon fed on how/where to catch fish but my point was....if you want free advertisement, provide abit of a information with it

The fact the man took the time out of his day to add some life to this site by giving us some pics should be contribution enough. By showing pics he demonstrates to everyone they are out there. I'm sure he has full days the way it is never mind taking extra time to put many words to his post. Up at 3:30, fish all day, dealing with clueless clients tripping around in his boat all day, come in, clean all those fish and package them up, clean the boat, get gear ready for next day get home eat and to bed by what 10-11, then up again at 3:30-4 and repeat day after day and you want written word out of him yet lol. Personally I'm glad he put up a few pics for us to enjoy.
What would be the difference when people put up all the info. If one says they caught on a white hoochy with 24" leader at 70' at lots oh fish point. If you went there next week would all you do for 5 days is fish at lots oh fish point with a white hoochy at 70' ?? I wouldn't I probly wouldn't even try a white hooch lol, I don't like them. My point is just knowing the fish are out there is sign enough to get out there and figure them out and what they are smackin on. But again,, thats just me I'm used to working for what I get, maybe not so for some people.

Last edited:
I totally agree. Thank you so much for posting anything. It’s sure nice to see some fish coming in and appreciate the pictures. At least we all know it’s not all talk or commercial. Keep it up!

Just back. Epic trip one the best I have hadin the 20 years weve been going. Weather was incredible all week, coho bite was best ive ever seen anywhere period. Springs a little tougher to find but thanks to a kind guide i met at Captian hooks we did get them. Halibut took some work but they are there to.

- Coho were on the rats nose. Spoons, hoochie, did not matter 75% clipped for us and some dandYS down 80-100 when you could get there.
- Springs on the whales tail, funny almost no coho there. Did try SW Corner one morning only us and had a couple big hookups we never saw. Did well on a tea stain, green, white color hoochie at 160 feet on rigger. Biggest 28 but many over 15.
- Halibut on the big bank plain old herring on the drift,timing the tide is key or your feeding dogs and flounder.

Had two youngsters with us this year for first time. Pretty sure they got tired of us old guys telling them how diffrent Ukee has become. Not so much a fishing town as it was but the fish are still there. Counting the days till next year.

Last edited:
Just back. Epic trip one the best I have hadin the 20 years weve been going. Weather was incredible all week, coho bite was best ive ever seen anywhere period. Springs a little tougher to find but thanks to a kind guide i met at Captian hooks we did get them. Halibut took some work but they are there to.

- Coho were on the rats nose. Spoons, hoochie, did not matter 75% clipped for us and some dandYS down 80-100 when you could get there.
- Springs on the whales tail, funny almost no coho there. Did try SW Corner one morning only us and had a couple big hookups we never saw. Did well on a tea stain, green, white color hoochie at 160 feet on rigger. Biggest 28 but many over 15.
- Halibut on the big bank plain old herring on the drift,timing the tide is key or your feeding dogs and flounder.

Had two youngsters with us this year for first time. Pretty sure they got tired of us old guys telling them how diffrent Ukee has become. Not so much a fishing town as it was but the fish are still there. Counting the days till next year.
Just a quick question concerning the whales tail. I have seen it mentioned in several posts in the past but I can't find anything looking like a whales tail on the charts.
Could someone kindly give me the co-ordinates or direction /distance ?
Thanks

Back