gold river boat launch

Seasons pass at Gold river is 200 this year!! Drove out from Tahsis this morning -road was OK to good!! Bringing the boat back late next week!!

Got back from Nootka yesterday, we launched at the GR boat launch, when parking my boat and trailer I noticed a boat trailer license plate hanging off bush. It looked like someone had backed their trailer into the bushes and when they drove away it got caught on a tree branch and ripped it off their trailer. I picked it up figured I would see if anyone here is missing it. First three digits are WFF *** and the registration expires AUG 25th 2018. If this is yours or you know whos it is let me know and I will fire it in the mail to you. **Cross-posted on the Nootka Fishing Report Forum as well****

Seasons pass at Gold river is 200 this year!! Drove out from Tahsis this morning -road was OK to good!! Bringing the boat back late next week!!
that doesn't seem too bad considering the other hikes...

$20 to launch and $10/day to park on roadside with no damage control. Natives have been given license to steal and we're politically incorrect to complain.

$20 to launch and $10/day to park on roadside with no damage control. Natives have been given license to steal and we're politically incorrect to complain.
Boyz-it is what it is!-be thankful you are allowed to fish in what is considered to be "Their territory"-so this is the cost. 200 per year launch and park inside or out --unlimited---or 20 for each launch plus 10 for roadside parking per day or 15 per day inside the compound. I have never had anything touched in 25 years there. The road to Tahsis is okay if you take it slow-you need a 5 ft tide for the ramp as it is a shallow grade ramp(large boats) and no floating dock beside it--but cheap!! Driven the road 6 times this year in July and it is as good as I've ever seen it. Think on next year--- the road will be paved with the exception of the big hill which will remain gravel for winter travel. Something to think on!!! Fishing out of esperanza is pretty good if you can wrap your head around the logistics and fuel.

Thanks everyone for the help and confidence. Launched yesterday afternoon around 1300 hrs, about 5 ft at ramp. No issues with the big rig

I really liked driving the camper and empty trailer around.

Limited on springs, 2 hatch coho, 2 lings, 1 chick Hali today on the 300 ft line. Super calm seas.

Hootchies and anchovies from 80 to 260 ft.

Drove a 24 skagit out from Tahsis last night-no damage-took 21/2 hours-if the road is paved next year it will change the whole dynamic of fishing in Esperanza .Fishing was great!!!

Looking to revitalize this thread. Never launched at GR. Will be dunking boat on Aug 4 and heading to Nootka Sound Resort for 4 days. Do you need resos for parking? Don’t exactly want to leave anything to chance? Any idea on current rates? Thanks in advance.

Looking to revitalize this thread. Never launched at GR. Will be dunking boat on Aug 4 and heading to Nootka Sound Resort for 4 days. Do you need resos for parking? Don’t exactly want to leave anything to chance? Any idea on current rates? Thanks in advance.
You don’t need reservations. Can’t exactly remember rates, but, 6 days parking inside fenced area plus launch I think was $125 last year. I might be off a few bucks but it’s close. There’s lots of parking space there.

You don’t need reservations. Can’t exactly remember rates, but, 6 days parking inside fenced area plus launch I think was $125 last year. I might be off a few bucks but it’s close. There’s lots of parking space there.
Good enough. Appreciate the intel. Just would hate to drive out there to find it’s full up and I’m parking in a ditch. Anyone fished Nootka early August? Any suggestions? Lot of seasons on the west side of the Gwaii and some time in tofino and ukee but haven’t done Nootka.

Good enough. Appreciate the intel. Just would hate to drive out there to find it’s full up and I’m parking in a ditch. Anyone fished Nootka early August? Any suggestions? Lot of seasons on the west side of the Gwaii and some time in tofino and ukee but haven’t done Nootka.
My wife’s thinks the bill was $110. Anyway the price is reasonable and the facilities are now very good. It’s a locked compound. I’ve made 40+ trips up there and never seen a problem parking ever. Now if every guy who can’t fish on the East side decides to go to GR the first week of August….then who knows. Doubt that’ll happen.

Your lodge will know where to point you for fish, but, there are specific typical places we all fish. The fish move around so one spot can be hot today dead the next day. I’m up there July 3-19 on a couple of trips so you can pm me after that and I’ll tell you how I did. Also, study the regs because they change in multiple areas by species just a few km apart. There’s quite a few sub-areas. It’s a little confusing so I print off the maps and hi-light what I can do where and make sure my charts show the boundaries. DFO is very active at checking boats. Good luck.

Use the archives. It's probably the best thing about the forum. I'd go back four years.

The road to Tahasis isn’t too bad. But the hills are extreme. I use a scanner and monitor it for log trucks. At the top of the first hill I heard of a loaded truck coming up. Glad I waited at the pull out!!!
Last year I saw a minivan in the ditch, on this hill. Cliff on one side and ditch on the other. Minivan was facing up hill in the ditch . Really weird. Only answer I have is the driver encountered a load or truck coming downhill and only had one option?
Makes me very wary of this situation. If you encounter one, they have the right of way. On these hills they’re not stopping going up or down!!7C8545DC-2904-4E8D-B0E5-C16DD8E9BE23.jpeg

The road to Tahasis isn’t too bad. But the hills are extreme. I use a scanner and monitor it for log trucks. At the top of the first hill I heard of a loaded truck coming up. Glad I waited at the pull out!!!
Last year I saw a minivan in the ditch, on this hill. Cliff on one side and ditch on the other. Minivan was facing up hill in the ditch . Really weird. Only answer I have is the driver encountered a load or truck coming downhill and only had one option?
Makes me very wary of this situation. If you encounter one, they have the right of way. On these hills they’re not stopping going up or down!!View attachment 80378
Thats a mans toothpick truck.

Is the road in to tahsis paved now? Is there a good spot to launch in tahsis and store a boat and vehicle?

Is the road in to tahsis paved now? Is there a good spot to launch in tahsis and store a boat and vehicle?
About 1/3 of the Head Bay FSR is chip sealed. Most of that is from the Conuma Hatchery to Tahsis. There's a boat launch in Tahsis. It was constructed as a float plan ramp. Launching at high tide is recommended. There is limited parking at the boat launch. Additional parking is available at the Rec Centre. Westview marina offers moorage.

Back