gold river boat launch

going to esperanza inlet in august and can't decide wheter to launch my 22 f aquasport at gold river or drive to Tahsis. It's been 5 years since we last launched at Gold River and don't know condition of boat ramp,etc,. Which way would be best , by water or by road ? Thanks for any help or suggestions. Saltspringer

Gold River ramp itself is the same, but the docks on both sides have been completely rebuilt. Can load/unload on both sides now. Huge improvement. Of course rates for launch and parking have gone up - not sure what they are, though.

Agree with both comments. Save yourself the stress and launch in GR and have a nice cruise to Tahsis. The new docks are a big improvement and help improve flow. Parking is safe at the launch and in my opinion prices are reasonable.

The road into Tahsis is well maintained and for a 22 foot boat you will have very little problems. I have taken numerous boats into Tahsis up to 32 feet with no problems. I do agree the trip from the Gold river ramp to Esperanza is a very scenic and relaxing trip.

As others have said I would launch at Gold River and run the boat up. If possible I would leave the trailer at Gold Ruver and drive just the truck to Tahsis. Way less stressful in my opinion.

As others have said I would launch at Gold River and run the boat up. If possible I would leave the trailer at Gold Ruver and drive just the truck to Tahsis. Way less stressful in my opinion.

Buddies and I do an annual Spring prawn trip to Tahsis. Launch the boat at Gold River and take the truck loaded with all our clothes, food and prawn gear over the road to Tahsis. First year, I left the trailer in GR. On day 3, boat broke down just outside Tahsis Marina. Had to drive down to GR to pick up the trailer and tow it back to Tahsis so I could get the boat home. Every year since, I've towed the empty trailer up to Tahsis just in case. Interestingly enough, have never had a problem with the boat since. Frankly, much prefer towing an empty trailer over that road (as insurance) vs. towing the boat (2101 Striper).

The GR tac To Esperanza is awesome....1-1 1/2hrs... however we are towing boat up to Zeballos this year ...drove that a few times now seems much friendlier than the tahsis road...

Last May the road to Zeballos was great. We didn't time the tides so well though and it was a bit sketchy launching...

I am trying the Gold River launch for the first time (have done the Tahsis Rd 3 previous times, way to stressful with big rig). I hope to time the high time early Tuesday morning.

Can anyone tell me where the best backing up placement is on the ramp? ie. to avoid any pot holes or drop offs when backing down, left side, right side, middle etc.

I was told there are some rocks near the float planes as you drive the boat away from the ramp. Can anyone explain or show on a map where those rocks are?

I am also hoping to back down the boat with my large truck camper still attached in truck bed. Hopefully that will work out

Thanks in advance!

If you are on a high tide you should be fine. I turn the boat around at the dock to avoid the hassle of doing it in the boat once you leave the dock. Boats coming and going can make the maneuver a pain in the butt. Slow and steady until you get to deeper water.

I am trying the Gold River launch for the first time (have done the Tahsis Rd 3 previous times, way to stressful with big rig). I hope to time the high time early Tuesday morning.

Can anyone tell me where the best backing up placement is on the ramp? ie. to avoid any pot holes or drop offs when backing down, left side, right side, middle etc.

I was told there are some rocks near the float planes as you drive the boat away from the ramp. Can anyone explain or show on a map where those rocks are?

I am also hoping to back down the boat with my large truck camper still attached in truck bed. Hopefully that will work out

Thanks in advance!
Was just there yesterday. Wow. It can be a cluster FFFFF. Definitely turn your boat around. High tide is obviously best to avoid single lane traffic. Get your cash out though. The natives are charging a fortune now.

Usually I use the west side of the ramp (right looking down the ramp). I think it has more dock space and find it personally easier. The ramp is steep but very manageable with a large rig and truck/camper set up. Not sure the size of your boat, but, my 23 foot 5500lb boat needs a 4 foot tide there. It used to be 3 feet but I think sediment has built up in recent years. Stick to the right side of the channel going out, its the deepest side. It gets a little shallower as you get to the float plane base. There are rocks around it, but not sure where exactly. I always keep my prop as high as possible running that channel.

I drove the Tahsis road in early July, and it was absolutely fine - I slow down a bit and it's great. I have a 24' boat with a great trailer with functioning brakes. I'll drive it again later this summer or in July next year because I know the gig at Tahsis and it's that much closer to Esperanza. Fuel is a problem in Esperanza, need to get it at the Christian Camp or Westview.

Thanks in advance!

You're over thinking it. If you launch/retrieve on a decent tide, stick to the right side of the channel on the way out, and trim your motor up then you will be fine. I've personally never seen the mentioned rocks and anymore don't even worry about them.

It can be a crazy unorganized ramp so bring some patience and help others when possible. If you bring the right attitude, in the big scheme of a salmon trip the Gold River launch is no big deal.

Last edited:
I believe they are charging 15 to launch and 15 per day to park in secured storage. 10 on the road.

Yes have patience at the boat launch , help the other guy if you can, makes it more enjoyable for everyone
Thanks Riverboy for the info , have to make sure I have enough cash

I paid $100 for launch, 6 days stay in the inside. No more deals.
Haven't been there for a couple years, But I used to get a seasons pass for 150. Included about 3 months boat stored inside the compound and free launches... Prob won't be going back there for awhile. Just have different area's I want to explore.

Back