2018 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Fished sunday from 5 am until 1 pm. Had 3 bites of which none stuck. Tried everything from hootchies to spoons all depths.

Nada
After yesterday, I now take myself out of the 'good fisherman' category ;). Did my usual due diligence from 4 - 8:30 last night off Gerald. No bait to be found from Yeo to Mistaken. Had one hit and the line snapped somewhere up the line, losing both flasher and and spoon :(. Should have heeded the Tides4Fishing forecast :p

Attachments

• solarlunar.PNG
    solarlunar.PNG
    11.4 KB · Views: 72
Put an honest day's effort in there with no chinook love. Sangster, Gerald and the Humps. Boated about a dozen wild coho, one undersize chinook and one spiny dog fish.

Pulled plugs of various numbers (even the 'nathan's ghost') hootchies, anchovies (got me one coho and the dog fish) and spoons. Bon Chovy Gforce did most of the work. Not much bait around, some small bunches on the inside of the humps.

I didn't see any chinook taken.

Howdy Gents
Coming up from Sidney for a family holiday and will be bringing the boat to spend a day or two on the water to try my luck. Plugs and hoochies seem to be the weapons of choice, any other suggestions on where to fish and at what depths?

Until the last few days, I would always have had a Titan Sardine spoon and/or a green spatter back hoootchie down deep (180 - 220). It has slowed down (IMHO) and the bait is harder to find. Buddies that have been jigging off the lighthouse at Ballenas are still finding fish. Good luck!

there were 25+ boats at the hump by 7am... very slow day. three wild coho, four jacks or yearing coho, lots of salad. After low tide it was two quick 6# hatch coho, for supper. 4" 118ii Tubby & Outfitter. There's a lot of bait balling up on the inside of the humps, couldn't get a chinook to bite though.

Best was that we came across two humpbacks feeding off ballenas island. They put on a nice little show until we both decide to move along.

Hoes and weeds.....hoes and weeds. Must have boated 30 coho from 69ft to 220ft at the humps. Managed only 1 undersized spring. Seemed to bite on everything but purple haze flasher with white hootchie with 28in leader was the winner. 20180726_135642.jpg

Even my spoochie was catching quite a few. Ran it alone with a dummy flasher.

Beauty! Were you just the lucky one, or were there lots of others getting in to chinook too?

Any schools of sockeye on your sounder?

Boated a nice hatch 22# out Front tonight beauty evening
Well done! Went out yesterday afternoon with little luck. Tried jigging but could not find any bait per se. Watched a nice 15 or so caught off the tip of Ballenas using freshly raked herring and strip casting so that was cool. Seems to have tapered off in the Ballenas/Gerald areas of late.

Well done! Went out yesterday afternoon with little luck. Tried jigging but could not find any bait per se. Watched a nice 15 or so caught off the tip of Ballenas using freshly raked herring and strip casting so that was cool. Seems to have tapered off in the Ballenas/Gerald areas of late.
great job ! what lures and depth ?
Plug at 140 but my buddy was using a hootch and boated a 14 in 60’ of water ,I think the trick is to just find the bait and try and match the depths it’s at

Lots of fish
Beauty! Were you just the lucky one, or were there lots of others getting in to chinook too?

Any schools of sockeye on your sounder?
Saw a few nets out but there were a ton of boats out there ,I’m not sure if what we saw on the sounder were Socks but could definitely be

Out this afternoon for the low tide at the humps. Nothing but coho. Thought I'd try to figure out what those schools of something @ 50' were, so I sent down some sockeye gear. Hooked coho after coho after coho... all on pink squirts, all a 1.5kts, all 50' from the surface. So I guess that mystery is solved, they ain't sockeye.

Lots of 'after work' folks were out, so hopefully there is some reports of Nookie Action!

I have a good friend who is heading up to Nanoose bay with his family around the 3rd week of August. He is a keen fisherman and was asking me if I knew of any guides in the area. I am not familiar with who the top guides are in the area are any of you able to pass on any contacts.
It would be much appreciated. Tight Lines Jimmy

I have a good friend who is heading up to Nanoose bay with his family around the 3rd week of August. He is a keen fisherman and was asking me if I knew of any guides in the area. I am not familiar with who the top guides are in the area are any of you able to pass on any contacts.
It would be much appreciated. Tight Lines Jimmy
Try Darrell (Capt. D) of Western Star Charters - good guy and catches fish :)

I didn't see many reports of sockeye in the 2014 reports, were you guys able to catch any sockeye out front or near sangster in 201o or 2011?

Back