Airmar B175HW Transducer

Sir Reel

Anybody have any experience or recommendation on the Airmar B175HW Transducer or the B175M?

Looking to upgrade my electronics to Garmin Chirp chart plotter and need to pick a 1KW thru hull transducer.
Seems the Mid range chirp is best for fishing but there is the new HW (high/wide) which seems good too.
Any info appreciated!

You will NOT be disappointed :) two thumbs up.

from a good source
go both get the high wide and the med .
i am running a high and a low (low not used that much).
along with a p66 and i have LSS-2 as well .
using Simrad though.

if you can only do one get the medium.
267.jpg

IMG_20151226_151616.jpg

Info from HT; just realize there are lot's of deep water (1500 ft +) fishers on there:

https://www.thehulltruth.com/marine-electronics-forum/577088-airmar-b175m-vs-b175w.html

The high CHIRP should be good to 300' at least. The HW is very popular in Alaska was they mooch shallow & can see their baits.
You could always just add cash & get dual frequency CHIRP; just don't tell the wife/SO.

This is good information from ericl, and I will add some real BC experience.

I have a dual frequency Airmar TM275LHW, which besides the mounting differences I think would be very similar to the B175HW when I am using the high channel.

So far I have only fished the East side of the Island with this transducer, so I do not know it's full capability's yet.

I bought the dual frequency to use the low side to track bottom in deep water when running, turns out I don't need it.

I run the high side only, and I can see bottom in 900 ft of water at 25 knots (bottom, not fish). I've run the low side but never see anything of use, so I prefer not to split my screen.

Fishing halibut I can see my spreader bar while jigging at 250+ feet, when there's no drift (again on high chirp).

Of course it is excellent in the shallower depths that the salmon run at.

I think for most BC fishing applications that B175HW would be an excellent Transducer, and probably all you need.

Last edited:
Thanks Barman! What chart plotter are you hooked up to?

Simrad Evo 2 single chirp at first, now an Evo 3 to run the dual chirp, which after I tried it out for a while, I never use, I keep the high channel full screen.

Forgot to say that when I tracked bottom at 25 knots to 900 ft on high setting, it was rock solid, I have never tested it deeper so don't know what its limits are.

I was thinking of dual chirp but it’s like $12oo more and don’t think I would use either. Most of my fishing is under 300 feet. Great info. Thanks!

Furuno offers some features such as bottom composition ID & fish size ID that require dual CHIRP.

Back