Status
Not open for further replies.
You found that funny did you?

It’s a reports thread. If you want to put in the location, then fine...do, if you don’t, then don’t.

If you know how to read and are experienced....you would be able to infer and figure out where I was Fishing. I had a phone call from someone asking me how it was and they read my report. They knew exactly where I was within 3 miles. How’s that for you? They figured it out.

I think what you want is someone to take the sport of “Fishing” and it make it easy “catching” for you. You want others to save you boat gas and basically catch you that fish

Start your own thread then all call it the tell all thread.

A few recommendations for you:

1. Pictures of location, boat, gear and everything needs to be photo documented and put on the report. Times as well. I’d like to bust everyone killing undersized fish and misidentifying species. Also the 25-30% of us out there STILL fishing with barbed hooks FFS! 20 years after it was done away with!!!

2. Post on the Vancouver Salmon Fishing Facebook Page. That page LOVES to send 25 boats into a 3-5 boat spot or put 25 boats on a 10 boat area. Want something fast? Get Instagram and see what everyone is doing instantly.

3. Call up the local pros and tackle shops and ***** them out about withholding info too. Those reports are written exactly the same as mine. If they say “Hump” you know 30-50 boats are going to show up. By the way, the reports are not 2 weeks old...they recap the previous weeks fishing efforts and success up to the day before. If it is not in the report, they probably didn’t fish it. Some reports love sending people on wild goose chases too....given only 2 fish were caught all week in a certain spot or make out like the fishing was great yet limits were not obtained.....but I won’t mention those shops by name. But it’s great to send people on recon missions to give you reports!

I went out and had a fortunate couple of days getting daily Chinook limits for me and my Dad. Lucky me.

Give it a rest.

Isn't this a reports thread? Aren't we all supposed to be working as a 'community' here? So we all have a slightly better chance of going home with a fish in the box at the end of the trip? seems like some us are just interested In swinging their dicks around.

Spent Friday evening and Sunday morning trolling west van. Standard issue purple UV flasher, tried anchovies, spoons and hoochies at multiple depths with nothing to show. Although I did encounter a crab trap marked with a clear plastic water bottle. Didn't see it until it was wrapped around my outboard and downrigger cable. This is nothing short of ******* ignorant as far as I'm concerned.

Happy fishing this week gentlemen, fingers crossed for some sockeye action!

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0665-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - South Coast - Sockeye Retention in Southern BC Marine Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye return provides for recreational
Sockeye retention opportunities in most Southern BC marine waters.

Effective 00:01 hours Wednesday, August 01, 2018 until further notice, in those
waters currently open to salmon fishing in the following Areas, the daily limit
for recreationally caught sockeye is four (4) per day:

- Areas 11 to 13, and 111 (Queen Charlotte Sound, Queen Charlotte Strait,
Johnstone Strait and Discovery Passage);

- Areas 14 to 15, 17 to 19 (Strait of Georgia);

- Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait);

- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island) Note that Area
23 is currently closed to the retention of sockeye targeting Barkley Sound
sockeye;

- Subareas 28-1, 28-2 and 28-7 (portions of Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet);

- Subareas 29-1 to 29-5
Note: Opportunities in the remainder of Area 29 (tidal portions of the Fraser
River) will be provided by separate fishery notice.

Sockeye retention is not permitted in the following areas:

- Area 16: remains closed to sockeye retention in order to protect Sakinaw Lake
sockeye. It is anticipated that Subareas 16-19 to 16-21 (Sabine Channel) could
open to sockeye retention in mid-August and will be confirmed by fishery
notice; and
- Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay).
As per Fishery Notice FN0428, recreational fishers should be aware of
conservation measures for Southern BC Chinook salmon and Southern Resident
Killer Whales that were implemented on June 1, 2018. Additional information can
be found at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/salmon-saumon/2018-skrw-ers-
eng.html#fraser

Maybe it's time to hang up the keyboard.

You disgust me with that comment. If you find that comment off base...you are unworthy of fishing for these fish.

You disgust me with that comment. If you find that comment off base...you are unworthy of fishing for these fish.
No your avoiding the wild coho comment was spot on, very valid. You just barfed up a bunch of other nonsense at the same time.

"If your an amazing fisherman like me la te da you would be able to figure out where I was within 3 miles. If ur not wise enough to decipher my report than u should start a tell all report bla bla ".

Gotta say that is pretty f'in funny bro lol.

Don't think there's anything wrong with a "late" report tho. Some people can't get to this forum as soon as others and any info current or late should be gratefully accepted. If someone caught 8 coho with a white hoochie at 80 feet off Bowen. 2 weeks later I guarantee you could do the same.

Read this:
Went looking for big fish. 6” Anchovies behind my favorite Flashers. Finally landed a 24 at about 1230. That seemed to take forever to get a Chinook strike. painful. Lost a much smaller fish after hookup... 20 seconds in very short order. Next bite was a chunky 19 pounder about 45 minutes later. A few Sox lobbing here and there. Saw a few people here and there but for the most part no one was around. Doggies out there...lots of them.

If that does NOT have enough information for you... then I guess you should not read the reports of catch on this thread.

I told you what depths---the size of the catch tells you something.
Therefore 50 to 80 feet. They are mature fish by definition....I went looking for big fish.
I posted in the Vancouver thread. That tells you where in directly.
I told you the TIME...so clearly the fish are influenced by tide. That if very important for mature fish.
I told you what I was using.
I told you the bycatch....doggies...lots of them. I told you of what I observed...Sox lobbing. Those are Big hints as to WHERE. In fact, it rules out 90 percent of the names around Vancouver.
I told you in a subsequent report there was lots of water to fish..that also tells you where.

What is pretty fn funny bro is how you hold me and other posters to a higher standard that those with fleets of boats running several boats and charters on the water every day...yet no one gets upset about their reports do they.....they provide guidance...just as I did...I told you specific results too....not the worth a look spiel like their reports. I also went out there and Dad and I landed 4 Chinook in 2 days combined.

Now...they were also RED meat....now if you cannot conclude where I was....that is your issue.

perhaps I wanted to fish there on Friday and Saturday....maybe I should have posted nothing at all...sounds like that was the best option. Guess you and many of the dogpilers on this thread prefer that. Good enough. Done.

No your avoiding the wild coho comment was spot on, very valid. You just barfed up a bunch of other nonsense at the same time.

What is nonsense about describing other anglers foul behavior ...…

Last edited:
Sockeye opening tomorrow. I have heard small pick hootchies work..never fished for them before so would appreciate any hints to gear and where to find them.

Thanks in advance!

Sockeye opening tomorrow. I have heard small pick hootchies work..never fished for them before so would appreciate any hints to gear and where to find them.

Thanks in advance!
Also how far up from the dummy flashers do you set the clip and how far out would you run them? Thks

Vancouver Salmon Fishing Report, July 30th
SOCKEYE OPEN ON AUGUST 1st

https://www.bonchovy.com/site/fishingreports/1532967785.html

"We are getting rigged and ready for the sockeye opening. Our favourite set ups our pretty basic, we will run the standard local flasher colours of chartreuse, green, and red. Our choices are the Guide Series T-10, STS, and Bon Chovy Flashers. Other flashers will obviously work as well, but these are the ones that we rely on. We pair the flashers up with Michael Bait Red Sockeye Hootchies on a 26 to 30 inch leader. It is also very beneficial to run a few dummy flashers as well. We will have lots of sockeye gear in our shop on Granville Island if you need the right gear and some hints. Have a look at this video below that we did with Fishing with Rod in mid September in 2015, it shows what sockeye fishing can be like and the methods we use."

Vancouver Salmon Fishing Report, July 30th
SOCKEYE OPEN ON AUGUST 1st

https://www.bonchovy.com/site/fishingreports/1532967785.html

"We are getting rigged and ready for the sockeye opening. Our favourite set ups our pretty basic, we will run the standard local flasher colours of chartreuse, green, and red. Our choices are the Guide Series T-10, STS, and Bon Chovy Flashers. Other flashers will obviously work as well, but these are the ones that we rely on. We pair the flashers up with Michael Bait Red Sockeye Hootchies on a 26 to 30 inch leader. It is also very beneficial to run a few dummy flashers as well. We will have lots of sockeye gear in our shop on Granville Island if you need the right gear and some hints. Have a look at this video below that we did with Fishing with Rod in mid September in 2015, it shows what sockeye fishing can be like and the methods we use."
Thank you!

you will find this challenging.

Read the report from Bonchovy posted above. They will show you the gear.

There are a few other threads here on gear.

Dummies... you need your gear in CLOSE to the dummies without tangling. Clip on a dummy on a short drop back. lower just enough so the Flasher bites, add another dummy in the same fashion or add Flasher and squirt and have it drop back behind 1-3 feet from the back of the dummy. Space the gear tight...nothing should be more than 6’ from each other. Stack another rod above after the Flasher with another rod in tight if you are comfortable doing this. There’s a little bit of an art to getting gear in tight without tangling obviously. Lower your rigger
Somewhat slowly. Match the other rigger in the same fashion and slightly offset that rigger depth by no more than 8 feet. One rod per rigger is probably best for you until you start catching as is. Sockeye Fishing requires being quick, efficient and effective. I used to stack 3 dummies per rigger and have 2 rods above each rigger. 5 total Flashers per rigger.

Slow. troll slow. 1.7 mph-1.8 mph SOG or slow
Enough so you still have boat control. Find out what Speed works best For your rig. After you tune your gear and get proficient at catching and running the gear you can troll Faster and mess with gear spacing and leader lengths.

straight troll with the odd turn and don’t turn too sharp when you turn around or you’ll tangle up.
stack dummies.
Sparse. Rip every 2nd frond off the skirt.
small. Use the small squirts.
slow as mentioned.
short leaders...27” is very common from back of Flasher to end of Sockeye squirt with sport gear.
sharp hooks...4-5/0 size.
slowly reel them in so they don’t shake themselves free...taught but not horsing.
Slacker rides...fish around tide changes not when the current is humping.
Then the last S...SOCKEYE!

Notice all the S’s above? Imperatives.

All in, you’re going to spend some time messing with gear and spending $$$ on Flashers to get set up and dialed in.

When you start hooking up....do NOT stop...keep trolling and leave the gear down and reset one side at a time.

It’ll be 7-10 days before it starts to get decent enough staging schools to find them and get on them consistently.

I have done more than a few charters limiting lots of Anglers. 48 Sockeye in 6 hours Fishing is a LOT of work and a lot of gear. never mind the ones we lost and tangles etc.

Be committed to success and apply what you know and learn. The first bigger schools will be off Sandheads like the other years.

Tight lines.
Atta boy. I knew you had a big heart in there somewhere. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back