Nets at Camel Toe Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Policeman44

Was just there. The natives are stringing a Gillnet 100 yards straight out from the rock. What a mess. Saw 2 boats boat get strung up. Sucked right into props. Big boats too. The natives just cut the rope and took off. So be very careful out there. Last I saw. The rope is still afloat

It is a commercial fishery the first nations bands are participating in. As long as the scotman is floating and they have cork floating i believe it is legal. I could be wrong.

Now that actions after I cannot speak for.

Saw the same thing in Bamfield last month. 100 yards of net right at the harbour entrance. :(

It is a commercial fishery the first nations bands are participating in. As long as the scotman is floating and they have cork floating i believe it is legal. I could be wrong.

Now that actions after I cannot speak for.
No Scotchman what so ever ! With all that traffic there I could see what was going to happen. But to just cut and run was a coward move. Leave the poor guys there all tangled

Had that happen at Idol Point last summer. Few boats tacking back an forth natives wheeled right to the point dropped their net and straight out some 100 meters. And set it was. They took off, ten minutes later here comes buddy with his kid heading east at 25-30 knots and hit it the net dead centre. Twins on that vessel did not sound good. Wasn’t long and the natives returned gathered up their mess and left.
Bad karma for whitey, not so good karma for the natives and their net.

FN are fishing lots of places where normally the sporties are. I have to wonder if its a coincidence. Saw it at Bajo for several days the first and second week of July.

No coincidence. It's a First Nations only commercial troll and/or gillnet chinook fishery for Area 25. Check the DFO fishery notices. Started earlier in July until further notice. TAC is 1600+ pieces which will be re-evaluated and likely increased early this month. This is one of many First Nations only commercial fisheries which have been instituted over the last couple months. Another replaced the Area G chinook troll fishery which was shut down prematurely on May 31 before TAC was reached. This is only the beginning of a new direction for DFO which is re-allocating the salmon resource to First Nations. More sport closures will be coming in the near future to accomodate this re-allocation. The recreational closures in the south have little, or nothing, to do with saving the SRKW. It's about passing additional chinook on to the Fraser River where they can be caught in both legal and illegal nets. Elsewhere on one of these threads it notes up to 700 gill nets in the Fraser River between Mission and Hope. Not much hope for the salmon if this continues unabated.

Funny how yet there is so many who are blind to this or don’t want to believe that this is happening.
A few people on this board need to get their head out of sand and realize the sky is falling due to netting!
And we need to be holding our government accountable for allowing this genocide to happen!

Last edited:
Funny how yet there is so many who are blind to this or don’t want to believe that this is happening.
A few people on this board need to get there head out of sand and realize the sky is falling due to netting!
And we need to be holding our government accountable for allowing this genocide to happen!

the movement is starting

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1795

PETITION TO THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
Whereas:
  • Gill nets are the most widely used and implemented salmon harvesting tool on the Fraser River by First Nations and commercial fishermen;
  • Sturgeon are frequently and negatively impacted by the non selective nature of gill nets, succumbing to significant physical damage and regular mortality;
  • Fully attended nets provide effective and expeditious release, unharmed, of salmon stocks of concern and sturgeon; and
  • The Department of Fisheries and Oceans promotes gill net use for salmon harvesting and does not provide nor endorse any alternative salmon harvesting techniques, when at this time, environmentally acceptable and sustainable fish harvesting technologies are a necessity for mixed stock salmon fisheries and to reduce sturgeon encounters and subsequent mortalities.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Encourage, implement and promote alternative sustainable salmon harvesting techniques that will reduce impact on salmon stocks of concern, and reduce and eliminate sturgeon by-catch and their subsequent physical damage and mortality;
2. Provide funding to research and implement sustainable fish harvesting technologies, such as fish wheels, fish traps, and fish-safe seines;
3. Adopt policies and regulations that require gill nets to be fully attended and monitored during entire gill net soak time, while this transition phase of implementation will take time; and
4. Ban all night-time gill net use.

the movement is starting

https://petitions.ourcommons.ca/en/Petition/Details?Petition=e-1795

PETITION TO THE GOVERNMENT OF CANADA
Whereas:
  • Gill nets are the most widely used and implemented salmon harvesting tool on the Fraser River by First Nations and commercial fishermen;
  • Sturgeon are frequently and negatively impacted by the non selective nature of gill nets, succumbing to significant physical damage and regular mortality;
  • Fully attended nets provide effective and expeditious release, unharmed, of salmon stocks of concern and sturgeon; and
  • The Department of Fisheries and Oceans promotes gill net use for salmon harvesting and does not provide nor endorse any alternative salmon harvesting techniques, when at this time, environmentally acceptable and sustainable fish harvesting technologies are a necessity for mixed stock salmon fisheries and to reduce sturgeon encounters and subsequent mortalities.
We, the undersigned, citizens of Canada, call upon the Government of Canada to:
1. Encourage, implement and promote alternative sustainable salmon harvesting techniques that will reduce impact on salmon stocks of concern, and reduce and eliminate sturgeon by-catch and their subsequent physical damage and mortality;
2. Provide funding to research and implement sustainable fish harvesting technologies, such as fish wheels, fish traps, and fish-safe seines;
3. Adopt policies and regulations that require gill nets to be fully attended and monitored during entire gill net soak time, while this transition phase of implementation will take time; and
4. Ban all night-time gill net use.

Signed. Thanks for posting!

Signed..

the movement is starting

The bowel movement you mean... because this petition is just full of it. This is a thinly veiled attack on aboriginal people's constitutional right to hunt and fish. It comes from a 'me first' & jealous attitude towards that right.

The irony here is that the initial incident happened in Nootka Sound, where Juan Perez first contacted the Aboriginal people of BC in 1774. Its a pretty safe bet that Camel Rock is a traditional fishing area for the Mowachaht. So, really, who got in the way of who here?

I think the issue that most people have is not with the constitutional right to fish and hunt. Rather it is the methods used. Gill nets have been proven to be an extremely un-selective method of fishing especially when left unattended for long periods of time. If you read the petition carefully it is only trying to mitigate the effects on juvenile sturgeon and other species that are regularly harmed by the use of gill nets in the first nations harvest. There are plenty of other methods available to capture the fish needed for first nations food and ceremonial purposes. Here is a link to a video on a great one, the pound trap:

To accuse people of being against the constitutional rights of first nations simply because they disagree with the methods used shuts down honest debate and is very counter productive. The only way we will ever build salmon and other fish stocks in this province is to have open discourse on subjects like this with all user groups, and collectively come to positive solutions. After all we all know left up to DFO or the provincial government that will never happen...

But why not look for methods that are just as effective but more selective? If you are not willing to at least acknowledge there may be better solutions out there in some cases than you are a big part of the problem with the current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back