2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Okay been so lucky to get out sat, mon, wed, and thurs. Lots of bait in oakbay and lucky enough to get 8 to 15lb springs on the boat evey outing except wed. Im going to blame my lucky shirt lol. They are around and full i mean full of needle fish

There wont be anything further Aug rolls back to normal please dont spread rumors around as it freaks people out. Don't expect a grand announcement same as last year it will expire. I think you guys have been punished enough in south.

Not spreading rumors that's the word on the street, I was stopped by DFO last Saturday and I asked them this question. This was the answer I got from them. So call it what you want. But its not a rumor its the truth!

Got out into Oak Bay both Monday and Tuesday nights. Monday was as good as it gets - 8 & 18lb hatchery fish within 15 minutes of dropping the lines down all on the high slack around 6pm. Same time same place on Tuesday but just a single shaker - lots of crap in the water Tuesday -- constant cleaning the lines. Loads of bait/fish showing on the sounder. Looks very fishy.

Yes a ton of crap on Tuesday night. It was deep as well.

Not spreading rumors that's the word on the street, I was stopped by DFO last Saturday and I asked them this question. This was the answer I got from them. So call it what you want. But its not a rumor its the truth!

If that were true SVIAC and your 19/20 SFAB rep would be screaming right now in your area. Its going back to normal for this year and not sure what those officers were talking about. Enjoy your fishing.

Reactions: cby
Anyway.... back to reports. Was tough going today. Picked up a 15 at the green can about 11:00. It was the only hit of the day for us.
The previous two weekends were better. Lotsa weed in the water too.

There are a lot of commercial crab lines out there just west of Macaulay. Watch out, I saw one guy with his gear hooked up on one as I was coming in.
Never seen so much commercial crab gear out there.

Not great on the flats this morning. Fished 7:30-12:30, two very small springs landed, not keepers. Stayed close to bottom mostly, but did try various depths. Saw about ten fish caught, none over 5 or 6 lbs as far as I could see. The guide boats hooked most of them. Why is that?

Exactly, the flats were a bust this morning 7-1:30 without a bite. I only saw one small one landed. Did venture out to Constance for an hour around 10 but the tide was ripping, so came back to grind the flats some more.

Saturday was 2 for 3. 7 and 9 lb, Sunday was 3 for 6. 8 and 20 lbs and my first ling cod 9 lbs, 70 cm. Ling cod is the best eating. Was really happy about that one. It was a great weekend.

cby gotta play them hard, I'm finding they are like coho magic right now. If I don't play them hard and fast they are popping off. And man can they bullet for the boat fast.

Thanks for the tip @Arjento. I lost a high teen + because of this last Sunday. I thought I was playing him too hard so I let off a bit right when he torpedoed out of the water... and the hook was gone.... my only hit of the day too.

cby gotta play them hard, I'm finding they are like coho magic right now. If I don't play them hard and fast they are popping off. And man can they bullet for the boat fast.
Just not hooked very well, when they bite hard they stay on. Light biters are gone for sure, so many head shakes when this happens it's usually game over

Yah i lost a few that way now. So i decided to just hustle and muscle unless its a hog then i try to tire them out. It happens to the best of..... we lost two decent fish this morning. Cousin needs practice lol. I let him hook em all up and play them. Both gone.
Thanks for the tip @Arjento. I lost a high teen + because of this last Sunday. I thought I was playing him too hard so I let off a bit right when he torpedoed out of the water... and the hook was gone.... my only hit of the day too.

I find a good hook set out of the snap if you have to, followed by the ben johnson sprint reeling, and another hard hook set. If it's out of the snap already I just give it a big tug and start reeling. Now back to the reports where is the feed at these days? definitely not at 10mile lol

I find a good hook set out of the snap if you have to, followed by the ben johnson sprint reeling, and another hard hook set. If it's out of the snap already I just give it a big tug and start reeling. Now back to the reports where is the feed at these days? definitely not at 10mile lol
I always give em a double tap. Two hook sets from about 9 o clock to 12 o clock . Not too hard, just two solid sets. Doink Doink , come to papa.

Was at the breakwater for 630 sunday morning and not a bite. buddy got a 15 over in esquimalt. I headed for constance and I got a 15 out there on a skinny g. Trolled around for hours and nothing else.
didnt see many nets out out there

Bounced around and finally the teenage son of a friend stuck a 15lber jigging the Gap around 10am. Always extra fun when someone catches their biggest salmon to date. Heard of a few other fish taken on the troll.

Back