Sockeye on the way

capt hook

I was starting to wonder about the soxs....
but not now after i got a few reports from my commie friends.
Outside North island they are thick....
test sets in San Juan were 300....
that is amazing news as they have not been splitting up and going that way in about 15yrs...
usually a split means a BIG run.
upper johnson straits and across from Port Hardy and Blackfish sound they are thick.
looks like GAME ON !

unfortunately the way DFO manages now , our race , or the non native races wont see a scale until the native fish quotas are all caught.
means that they will be at river mouth area. and then the bean counters in ottawa start counting

If we do get a crack at them get your vacuum bags now because they will be sold out lol

You will find many in the ditches around Port Alberni. It is a food fishery. You can buy them cheap in most camp grounds on the island when the food fishers drive through...

AND , early Stewart are already up river and DFO are happy with spawning returns..
the mass coming down coast now are probably the main Stewart run...if THEY are coming in this strong we may be in for a bumper Adams run come August.

Good news. I still have a couple of dozen new canning jars from when the Adams all went down the inside in 2014!
T2

i've been seeing schools of 'something' at about 50-75' out off the humps. could these be sockeye? Maybe i should slow troll some pink squirts to find out... hmmm....

I'll have to dust off the ol' kone zone flasher and rig up some dummies... I found the secret to sockeye (and chum) is a dead slow troll.

Good tip. For you kids playing at home, sockeye mostly feed on zoplankton. Having your flashers all in the same colour makes one big ball of food for them. Find a school, circle around and around... they'll bite

So how far back do you run a squirt? Dummy flashers on the ball . How far up from the ball do you put your clip? Making sure all is in order before launch time

I'll have to dust off the ol' kone zone flasher and rig up some dummies... I found the secret to sockeye (and chum) is a dead slow troll.

Chum yes ; sockeye not always the case. 4 years ago in deep water bay i was getting schooled by a guy in a tinny trolling unbelievably fast. he had his limit of sixteen ( four fishers)in half an hour while i was trolling much much slower and worked hard to get my limit for two fishers. he had two dummy’s on the cannon and two flashers inline

Fishery Notice - Fisheries and Oceans Canada

Subject: FN0665-RECREATIONAL - Salmon - South Coast - Sockeye Retention in Southern BC Marine Waters

The current status of the Fraser River sockeye return provides for recreational
Sockeye retention opportunities in most Southern BC marine waters.

Effective 00:01 hours Wednesday, August 01, 2018 until further notice, in those
waters currently open to salmon fishing in the following Areas, the daily limit
for recreationally caught sockeye is four (4) per day:

- Areas 11 to 13, and 111 (Queen Charlotte Sound, Queen Charlotte Strait,
Johnstone Strait and Discovery Passage);

- Areas 14 to 15, 17 to 19 (Strait of Georgia);

- Area 20 (Juan de Fuca Strait);

- Areas 21, 121 and 123 to 127 (West Coast of Vancouver Island) Note that Area
23 is currently closed to the retention of sockeye targeting Barkley Sound
sockeye;

- Subareas 28-1, 28-2 and 28-7 (portions of Howe Sound and Burrard Inlet);

- Subareas 29-1 to 29-5
Note: Opportunities in the remainder of Area 29 (tidal portions of the Fraser
River) will be provided by separate fishery notice.

Sockeye retention is not permitted in the following areas:

- Area 16: remains closed to sockeye retention in order to protect Sakinaw Lake
sockeye. It is anticipated that Subareas 16-19 to 16-21 (Sabine Channel) could
open to sockeye retention in mid-August and will be confirmed by fishery
notice; and
- Subarea 29-8 (Boundary Bay).
As per Fishery Notice FN0428, recreational fishers should be aware of
conservation measures for Southern BC Chinook salmon and Southern Resident
Killer Whales that were implemented on June 1, 2018. Additional information can
be found at
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/maps-cartes/salmon-saumon/2018-skrw-ers-
eng.html#fraser

Good tip. For you kids playing at home, sockeye mostly feed on zoplankton. Having your flashers all in the same colour makes one big ball of food for them. Find a school, circle around and around... they'll bite

Lol. your imitating a school of sockeye, not their food.

Game on, let’s go fishing.

It's a debate whether a flasher looks like a school of bait/food or an attacking salmon. Either way, it's a flash of light that gets a fish's attention and has it think "gee there might be food over there"

Looks like the 2018 sockeye season is GO!

Area 20 test fishery seems to be good. Anyone caught sockeye near sooke or Victoria water front in the past?

Back