2018 Central Coast Reports

I know nobody likes talking about this area however.... Has anyone been up in the area lately who can give me a quick report. Heading up from Hardy on Sunday for 3-4 weeks. Going North into area 6 then working my way south....

Bambam

Love that country... Best fishing I ever saw was at the mouth of Draney inlet on an outgoing tide. Double headers were the norm. That was some years back, though. I'd like to go back again, if only to explore the amazing network of inlets.

I’m heading up there the 26-30th to sportsman’s lodge. Would love to hear more details around areas and the lodge itself. Looks great but every year is different and there arent any reports so far that I can find about rivers inlet this year anywhere.

You will have some good fishing areas close to your location - The wall is very close to sportsmen lodge and there can be some big fish around. At that time it will be busy. You could also look closer to Draney Inlet. The coho fishing at Calvert Island can be good. It's a pretty long run though. I'm sure that the lodge will fill you in on the hotspots. Having said that there are lots of areas to try out if you want to explore a little. Are you self guiding your whole trip? We will be there at the same time.

You will have some good fishing areas close to your location - The wall is very close to sportsmen lodge and there can be some big fish around. At that time it will be busy. You could also look closer to Draney Inlet. The coho fishing at Calvert Island can be good. It's a pretty long run though. I'm sure that the lodge will fill you in on the hotspots. Having said that there are lots of areas to try out if you want to explore a little. Are you self guiding your whole trip? We will be there at the same time.

Thanks Geno. We are self guided for now but “first on the list” if a guide becomes available. Hopefully they will help us fill the boat more than self guided if we go that route. Are you staying at sportsman’s or another lodge? It looks like they take care of their guests pretty well so I suppose we’ll get some good advice as you said. Looking forward to getting up there. Haven’t been before.

Hey, hearing north of cape caution towards Bella bella tomorrow in my sailboat, wondering if anyone can point me at some good spots? Would love to get a Hali as never have caught one one, same with ling. I have downriggers so can also go for springs.

Will be probably anchored at fury cove or a bit further north - and I only go 6 knots, so anything nearish there would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to make the run from Hardy to the Central Coast on August 1st. Anyone else running up there at that time? Planning to spend 5 days on the boat fishing various spots between Rivers and Milbanke.

Weather permitting, I'm hoping to make the run from Hardy to the Central Coast on August 1st. Anyone else running up there at that time? Planning to spend 5 days on the boat fishing various spots between Rivers and Milbanke.

Hi Scorpiofisher,

I’ll be doing the crossing from Hardy to Rivers on July 25, spending 10 nights in total up and down the coast. My first 3 nights will be at Duncanby then I depart north hitting Bella Bella, Klemtu and Hartley Bay. Will be doing the crossing back to Port Hardy on Aug 4.
We’ll be doing the majority of my fishing at Rivers, but hope to find some little Halibut holes and coho spots from locals as I venture the rest of the coast. Fell free to PM me if you want to chat.
Cheers

Hi Scorpiofisher,

I’ll be doing the crossing from Hardy to Rivers on July 25, spending 10 nights in total up and down the coast. My first 3 nights will be at Duncanby then I depart north hitting Bella Bella, Klemtu and Hartley Bay. Will be doing the crossing back to Port Hardy on Aug 4.
We’ll be doing the majority of my fishing at Rivers, but hope to find some little Halibut holes and coho spots from locals as I venture the rest of the coast. Fell free to PM me if you want to chat.
Cheers
Try Burke Channel for Halibut, for Coho try Bailey Point or Ivory Island light house

Hi Scorpiofisher,

Cheers
Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I'll be up there Aug 7-14th, running up from Port Hardy. Probably camping on Calvert Island, which is as far north as I'll go. I'll have to look into Duncanby for a night - I'm sure I'll be missing a decent bed and shower after a few nights camping and fishing my butt off all day.

Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. I'll be up there Aug 7-14th, running up from Port Hardy. Probably camping on Calvert Island, which is as far north as I'll go. I'll have to look into Duncanby for a night - I'm sure I'll be missing a decent bed and shower after a few nights camping and fishing my butt off all day.

Sangstercraft - We are leaving Port Hardy first light on the 7th going to Shearwater if you want a buddy boat for the crossing. PM me and we can exchange contact info. Cheers

I’m heading up Sunday. Would also love to hear any info if possible. Last year was a chovie show for us and we didn’t end up using most of our herring

Just back from duncanby from tuesday-saturday. It was a grind. I think one 1 guest went home with a limit of salmon, maybe 2. Heard the week before was even worse. Hali wasnt much better. We have been there before same week , limited in past not this year. I came with some fish, guys in the group did a bit better, but it was slow. Honestly every year it seems to get tougher. Heard that the first nations where netting about 1 week prior..purely hear say. Anyways hopefully you will get a run. Not expert but we lost very few fish, there just wasn't a lot of action.

Last edited:
Just back from duncanby from tuesday-saturday. It was a grind. I think one 1 guest went home with a limit of salmon, maybe 2. Heard the week before was even worse. Hali wasnt much better. We have been there before same week , limited in past not this year. I came with some fish, guys in the group did a bit better, but it was slow. Honestly every year it seems to get tougher. Heard that the first nations where netting about 1 week prior..purely hear say. Anyways hopefully you will get a run. Not expert but we lost very few fish, there just wasn't a lot of action.

Anyone heard if Milbanke is any better?

Just back into cell range after a week (thurs - weds) in Rivers staying on the boat at Duncanby. Heading out of range again tomorrow till the end of the long weekend, so quick report for the guys heading up...

As @shell waster said, was slow at the beginning, but definitely was picking up the last few days for both numbers and size. Also heard that the commercial gillnet opening was the reason - basically blocked Hackai Pass and Fitzhough Sound. For the lodge group that left Tuesday, about 1/4 - 1/3 were limited out when they left.

We didn’t fish too hard, splitting our time between fishing and exploring and could have had our salmon limits (for two) pretty easily. Released quite a few small (<10 lb) springs, and kept four up to 18 lbs. Kept seven coho 7 - 11 lbs and lost just as many. Wall, Dome and Cranstown were all producing the last few days and heard Calvert was kicking out coho as well.

Fished the head of the inlet one day for 3 hours without a sniff in our boat or the other three up there, but heard a 63 was released a few days later and couple over 50 and several over 40 were caught while we were there.

Brought home three halibut, and hooked into another ~15 trying to find another over including a double Hali header. Had a sea lion take two off our line. Tried for lings a few times, but only found 3.

@Chuck - chatted with some guys on the dock who rolled in from Spider Island the night before we left. They said it was very slow up there. Lots of pinks and they only landed one “good” fish. But also heard from someone else that fishing was very good around Shearwater.

Highlight of the trip was going out for an evening troll at the Dome and having the place to ourselves. Within 5 minutes hooked in to a beauty that measured out at 28 lbs after a great fight and which we released as the sun was going down. Will never forget that moment!

Back