Commercial fishing

My hope is that your comment is not implicating me or something that I have said, because that would clearly be wrong of you to state. :)

A few individual people do not represent an entire population of aboriginal decent...let's be clear about that before picking up the paint brush as others on this site have done in the past. Cheers. :)
I would never direct anything negative to you, my amigo.
I was referring to the first nations people of Tofino saying they were going to do their best to make sure we don't catch any Halibut, which was the original content of this htread. This was said to a group of us guides and i've watched them circle me with long lines while at anchor trying to catch Halis. Do you think that is cool?

It doesn't matter in one way or the other what nation comments are directed, or whether toward WCVI, ECVI, North Coast, South Coast...who cares. Human beings from all sectors are creating an impact and compounding political issues with pointed dialog that does nothing but create divide and conquer strategies between all groups. Pointing fingers does nothing, stop thinking and talking about what you don't want, and start doing something that will bring everyone to the point of what we do want. Thoughts and words become things, the power is within each and every single one of us to create positive minded change and to help develop substantial mutually beneficial working partnerships among all fishing sectors. The opportunity is available to accomplish this. All we need to do is simply, take the first step. Basically change your mind to change your life...it's the words and thoughts that you create as an individual human being that will direct all outcomes, paths, successes and failures. It's your choice, and it starts with you - all of us. That is all I will say.

Sorry for the hijack. :)
As a recovering alcoholic,truer words have never been spoken. "The story you tell yourself becomes your reality!"

Was at the fuel dock in Port Hardy, One troller comes in and bumps into another troller and the captain yelled out " what are you an F-ing gillnetter"

It was pretty funny

Saw something similar to that. Guys at gas dock
Say every single time there’s a run in like that it’s a gill netter. Saw two incidences next day of commies running into each other at gas dock...both gill netters hahaha Guy said see told ya. Was hilarious

Off Nootka this year July 2-17 over a couple of trips up I saw FN trollers fishing all the key hot typical sport fishing spots. Never seen that before in the 12 years I've been going there. They were at Bajo right at the red can, Beano / Maquinna et al. Usually 3 of them running a wide swatch a few hundred meters wide back and forth all day from 0500 right to late in the afternoon. Listening to them talk all day on the radio (69) you could get their updates of catch by type. Talking to some of the lodge owners in Nootka, sounds like this is not normal practise for that area. Pretty sure they could do some serious damage pretty quickly as we noticed the day after they were in an area things seemed slow. Not sure if it was an unwritten deal in the past to stay out of these areas or not but they were not commonly in them.

Unfortunate comment. I really don't think that it is a very fair comment to make - grouping all people of aboriginal descent into a single group description or perception thereof is not correct.

Don’t feel bad. I’m still paying for what my great great great grandfather might have done 150 years ago.

You definitely don't know me at all, with a comment like that. People pointing fingers appear to be the victims. I'm the guy working toward all sectors developing common ground. I can go away if you like. I can easily find a better way to spend my time. No biggy. I did try to warn everyone on this site years ago about what was going to come into effect in the near future. Well, the future is here now. Still no one wishes to work with other sectors. Too bad, the opportunity is still there. :)

Yeah, fair call.

Wasn’t necessarily a comment directed at you sir, but the situation as a whole.

I remember your warnings clearly, but I guess myself and many others like me just thought that the new(ish) doctrine of society was equal treatment under the law for everybody. It should have nothing to do with striving for equal outcomes or race based special treatments.

It’s commendable that your trying to bridge the gap and I hope you make a difference, but of what I’ve seen and heard, the FN community as a whole (because I don’t hear any leaders calling their own out) believe it is “their turn” and not so secretly love that the white man is getting the shaft.

Any progress in this utter mess will only come from within the FN community as the white man leaves himself open to being called all manner of names/labels if he tries to correct this madness. We all know politicians take the path of least resistance for short term goals.

Last edited:
The first thing that needs to leave the table are thoughts of "white man" vs "indigenous" vs "commercial", we are all human beings, it doesn't matter what any individuals decent or business entity happens to be. We all need to be respectful to one another and work together as equals. There is only one shared resource made up of multiple species that are near impossible for DFO or the FED to manage correctly without the help of all sectors working in unison. We all need to recognize that each and every single one of us has a huge impact on the resource and what its future will be. The commercial fleet was savagely cut in the 90's and to this day is continually shrinking due to impacts. FN, the entire history of Canada because of the Indian Act was taken aback and was unfairly dealt access. Over the past few years the sportfishing sector has gone from approximately 200,000 saltwater license holders to approximately 300,000, becoming the fastest growing sector to use Canada's shared resource. The only tools DFO and the FED have are to limit impact or to protect habitat and species. DFO and the FED are mandated by the UN to rectify environmental vast areas of concern in our oceans as well as, by the UN are mandated to change how Canada has unfairly, in some cases illegally handled the Child of the State within its own Laws with the Indian Act. The only way the future will work for all, everyone, or for the people of province of British Columbia anyway, is if we all get onto the same page, create some common goals, and start to develop some meaningful, respectful, mutually beneficial plans and agreements. It all starts by opening dialogue and building positive minded relationships. Use the Law. DFO is. FED is. FN is. Green is. Commercial is. Sportanglers?

You speak the truth and it should be as you say all one and not seperation.

I think the problem at this point is the government and judges are creating a division between everyone and things look to be getting worse not better. I hope people of every walk of life will get to the point of sharing and looking at things as we not you or us.

I also think that bands should be doing more to police there members as an example I've seen the sockee salmon fish sales first hand from homes on the reserve in big blue cooler boxes and I've also seen rotting salmon from unsold salmon from the same boxes. It seems like a waste to not take care of the salmon caught and probably because they know some more fresh salmon are coming tomorrow. They aren't gutted so won't last very long in those conditions. Do you think that is right? Why aren't bands doing more to protect the salmon from their own members?

So many things need to change to help the salmon and everyone being on the same page working together would be awesome but that isn't happening anytime soon with the way things are going. Lots of things need to be fixed and as much as working together is great I think that is only one of a hundred things that need to be fixed.

Back