High Tech Jigging

Bumping this thread. Looking to try this on a fishing trip this weekend

Does anyone know if I can find these Shimano Flat-fall Jigs in metro Vancouver? Been to Bass-pro, Wholesale, and nothing. Not tried smaller stores yet however.

Thanks in advance

Fred's in Abbotsford is where I found mine. Pricey but they work!

I was just going over some old threads and found this one. What a great tutorial thanks WW. I will be converted this year.

This is a great thread. I have no experience saltwater fishing but lots from jigging for walleye. Sounds very similar but with a lot more weight and deep!! The fish are a little bigger here too, lol. I actually picked up a couple of 6'3" med wt jigging rods to use for boat rods so sounds like they may be perfect to try this technique. I had the med heavy in my hand but thought it seemed a bit like a pool cue after coming from my freshwater days so opted for the lighter rods. It's stuff like this that make forums great. Thanks for sharing this Waterwolf

Thanks for this. have been trying to decide how to rig up for jigging with a lighter setup and this helps quite a bit. Appreciate your time and efforts here.

Yes, great thread. I really like to hear how other break down their technique in detail and describe the reasons why they do what they do. I believe I ran into you at PP last August Waterwolf. I'm heading over there next week with some new gear (thanks to your suggestions!).

If you are still monitoring this thread, or for others that are, I'm not into spending a few more hundred dollars on reels if I don't have to... I'm wondering if my Shimano Catala and Abu Garcia 6500 C3 will do the job on Shimano Trevala jig rods? I get they aren't ideal...

Trevor

Awesome to see great success jigging. Back in the seventies we used buzz bombs and Pirkens with great success in Pedder Bay with springs up to 32 lbs and many coho. We used 8’ rods and spinning reels with 15 lb test. I think I willl have to update and give it a go. There is no better feeling when one hits and there is nothing to slow it down!

Any suggestions for a decent $100-ish jigging rod? Using an MR2, so I was thinking a spinning rod would match up nicely as it's designed to sit underneath the rod...

Any suggestions for a decent $100-ish jigging rod? Using an MR2, so I was thinking a spinning rod would match up nicely as it's designed to sit underneath the rod...
The lowest price Trevala rods are $179. That’s where I would start. Pick a model that matches the size of jigs you fish to get the proper action on the lures. I very rarely jig over 160 grams even in 200’ of water.

A great example of the effectiveness of having jigging gear happened to me the other day. Mid-day 1:00, I trolled through a beautiful pile of bait 3x. 4 different reliable Lures and nothing. I pull the gear and drop 6oz Butterfly Jigs. We landed two beautiful springs and a hatchery Coho in 30-40 minutes. Sometimes fish will take a jig when they won’t hit a trolling lure. I believe it comes down to a reaction strike that Butterfly Jigs are so good at. I keep my jigging rods rigged up and ready to go on a moments notice.

Having a newer 4 pc Rapala Magnum 11' that I am happy with , I am going to look at the same in 10 ' M/H rating

Have used the Fenwick Eagle in the past when we just used what was at hand, but from the above recomendations, maybe stiffer will be better, trials to continue )

I did not like my trevallas, the bend felt wrong, tips were not soft enough, sometimes on a big fish the blank in handle would flex. I fish all over the world with them so not only ling, salmon and cod. Tried the Penn Carnage, OMG what a difference, now have spinning, jigging in lots of styles, lengths and weights. Bend is in tip, power thru mid section and no flex in handle, matched with a penn reel they are world fish handling machines. A 20 lb tuna, trevally, sail fights like no hali, ling or salmon can begin to match. Carnage are the same price as trevallas but a better choice in my opinion. As an alternate and maybe cheaper, while fishing sailfish in Malaysia last year boat had the yellow ugly sticks, we got a ton of sails and rods worked very well, bend and flex was "right". They were $49 Cnd when Wholesale Nanaimo closed out, not sure now where or how much, still better than trevallas (my opinion).

HM

I did not like my trevallas, the bend felt wrong, tips were not soft enough, sometimes on a big fish the blank in handle would flex. I fish all over the world with them so not only ling, salmon and cod. Tried the Penn Carnage, OMG what a difference, now have spinning, jigging in lots of styles, lengths and weights. Bend is in tip, power thru mid section and no flex in handle, matched with a penn reel they are world fish handling machines. A 20 lb tuna, trevally, sail fights like no hali, ling or salmon can begin to match. Carnage are the same price as trevallas but a better choice in my opinion. As an alternate and maybe cheaper, while fishing sailfish in Malaysia last year boat had the yellow ugly sticks, we got a ton of sails and rods worked very well, bend and flex was "right". They were $49 Cnd when Wholesale Nanaimo closed out, not sure now where or how much, still better than trevallas (my opinion).

HM
Okay you need to provide a little ore info on which Trevala’s you have used. By design they have a parabolic, moderate action. The further into the backbone you go the more they bend and the more power they have. I own several Trevala’s in various weights and models. I have landed halibut to 65lbs and many many salmon in the 25+lb range. I have never ever felt the rod blank bend in the handle on ANY of the models that I have used.

I’m not going to dispute that the Carnage is a decent rod but it’s different. The Trevala F series for example are incredibly powerful and sensitive and half the weight of a Carnage. They are a pure pleasure to fish with. There are several forum members that own them and I know first hand that they love them.

I’ve held the new Carnage 2 in one hand and a Trevala in the other. The Carnage is a sexy rod but is way heavier. I can’t attest to the sensitivity of a Carnage because I haven’t fished one but on my Trevala’s I can feel every herring that my Butterfly Jig is bouncing off on the way down.

I guess I’ll say this, get one in your hands and feel the action. Some guys like longer rods and don’t enjoy fishing with the shorter jigging rods. Trevala’s are built to put a specific action on Butterfly Jigs provided you use the right rod for the size of Jigs you are fishing. When done properly as many can attest to, it’s a winning combo.

Cheers,

Curtis

Like I said I owned Trevallas, I think the 6'6" and 6'2" heavy actions, can't remember the model # it was some time ago. We all had trevallas in BC because there were no carnage 1's or 2's for many years. I cannot speak for others only myself, I have been on dozens of international sport fishing boats and have yet to see a trevalla, cannot say same for carnage 2 jigging and spinning. Seen and used tons, carnage 2's in Seychelles were on every boat, probably because they were more available and marketed better??? Put both rods in hand again, run a piece of line thru eyes and attach 24 oz jig depending on rod weight specs and look at the bend. Does line touch rod anywhere? Where is bend? I prefer flexi tip and strong backbone, with no handle flex, each to their own. When an 80 lb tuna rips my jig I know what rod/reel combo I want in hand same when balloon light lining live baits to surface swimming sails. Not slamming our fish but a 65 lb hali is not a real test for a rod as is a 25 lb salmon. I have also seen my downriggers braid and 60" broomstick arm move when hitting a bait ball of herring. I am sure there are pro's and cons to both rods, with my experience and use, I prefer the penn combos.

PS I am not pro or con any company name, I do have a shimano tallus TLC trolling with penn senator 115 for larger blue water species, last was a 300 lb + oceanic whitetip.

HM

Would the Trinidad 16NA work on the TVSC63MH rod or is it just a little too big. The 12A is better?

Question from a rookie jigger - how do you guys keep the hook from wrapping around the line after you jig (upward motion)?

Are you jigging using braided line tied off directly to the lure (bad) or are you using a mono/fluoro leader (good)?

It can also be your cadence. It helps to allow the jig to fall completely and pause, then resume. Faster than this can lead to a tangle.

Another issue is the type of hooks used. For example - treble hooks tangle easier than say a single or assist hooks. Long hooks tangle easier than short hooks, etc.

Would the Trinidad 16NA work on the TVSC63MH rod or is it just a little too big. The 12A is better?
I have both and if its a dedicated salmon setup, the Talica 12 is an absolute beauty. Such a small form factor and it a little tank. If you want an all purpose setup that'll even land decent hali's then the 16NA is your answer. That setup has caught hali up to 70 and ling to 50 from people that I know.

Question from a rookie jigger - how do you guys keep the hook from wrapping around the line after you jig (upward motion)?
Most foul-ups occur from either jigging straight braid or using some sort of snap swivel to attach the lure. It ends up flopping over on itself. I use 30lb mainline and 50lb leader. The 50lb is overkill but its stiffer which 'pushes' the jig away from the line and you get significantly less foul-ups.

Ok thanks guys. I do use braid mainline and mono leader but also a snap swivel. I will go with a regular barrel swivel to attach mono / braid.

Back