• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
A one day protest is not going to solve closures. I hope whoever is leading this has a multi step plan, media expertise and resources to engage DFO and other stakeholders in what will be a lengthy process after getting media attention through this protest. Not being critical just practical.

I guess though,while I agree that you need good spokespeople and a long range plan, doing nothing is what got us here and really we have nothing ,or very little ,left to lose. After next to no consultation, at least for the vast majority of us, DFO rammed this through. Pretty sure they knew there’d be a little bitching, but nothing else

It’s great to have a 100% solution but it’s never going to happen. You can end up handcuffed by trying to attain perfection and end up accomplishing nothing.While I’m not sure this protest will work, I’m pretty sure I know the results of following the status quo and doing nothing. So far their is only one side of the story getting any attention and it’s not ours. The longer the enviros run with this and get no pushback ,the more the average person will buy their story!

Personally I think towing our boats by the ledge, like we did to get the halibut allocation up to 15% is the way to go....... lots of guys towing boats through downtown victoria. Bos and hicks made it work the last time.

How did it go today... Was there a good turnout? Anybody get interviewed?

I would like to thank whoever organized this protest and am a little disappointed that none of our fishing advocate groups didn't step up and get something organized in a way of some push back. If they did have something to do with this I apologize, but I didn't see anything saying they supported this. To all the na' sayer's at least this group was drawing some attention to your problem and to me, we didn't come off as looking like a bunch of butt hats.

I would like to thank whoever organized this protest and am a little disappointed that none of our fishing advocate groups didn't step up and get something organized in a way of some push back. If they did have something to do with this I apologize, but I didn't see anything saying they supported this. To all the na' sayer's at least this group was drawing some attention to your problem and to me, we didn't come off as looking like a bunch of butt hats.

Were you at the protest?

I just text two of my buddies that don’t fish this.

Their response was WTH are 27 whale watching boats in that area.

If the point was to get whale watchers out I think that may be the message that most receive when watching this.

I was un able to attend today due to mechanical issues with my boat.
Thanks to all those who did attend . I would be in for a followup parade past the Legislature.

Were you at the protest?
No I wasn't there. For your information my boat is not in service at this time, Besides that I had a family commitment that made it impossible to go. Is that Ok with you. Doesn't mean I didn't support them, I did post this on all my social media accounts and if memory services be right I recommended something similar but in the inner harbour on this website. I also got behind Stizzla's similar idea. Were you there?

No I wasn't there. For your information my boat is not in service at this time, Besides that I had a family commitment that made it impossible to go. Is that Ok with you. Doesn't mean I didn't support them, I did post this on all my social media accounts and if memory services be right I recommended something similar but in the inner harbour on this website. I also got behind Stizzla's similar idea. Were you there?

All I wanted to ask is if SVIAC was there? I figured you went. No I wasn't there that is why I asked.

Thanks to the organizers - interviews came off well.

I seriously hope I see a difference in the red shading on this piece of the news clip...do not quite understand the red scale gradations. Has anyone seen this visual before or is it just a Chek tech's way to show the present and proposed along the WC? That would be quite the closure if the canal was being considered :eek:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 7.59.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 7.59.02 AM.png
    1,014 KB · Views: 38
The map on Chek does not match the map outlining future critical foraging area being looked at. The maps we have seen definitely do not include inside Barkley and Alberni Inlet. The inlet fisheries are terminal fisheries mostly from stocks coming out of Somas/Stamp system. Please tell me this is a mistake by Chek and not another addition after consultation??????.

Kinda sliding off your topic in this thread. sorry! Good on all you who took part in the days event. Hope to see much follow up coming from the main groups to support the effort!!

Back