Status
Not open for further replies.
Cool down boys! Fish are just around the corner. It's just a matter of days for the harbor to light up. Wind forecast looks good for the weekend :)

Last edited:
“RC, will PM you next time there is a hot bite”
If that’s not sarcasm, then that just sucks, along with cryptic reports and tight lips.

People are responsible for their actions.

When I first joined this forum there was no Vancouver thread. I fished as much as I could back then. My enthusiasm overflowed into this forum and I inspired people to get out and go fishing.

If someone went out and caught some fish...great. If they think they outfished he guides...great...keep on believing that. If you beat them for one day...good for you....betcha you didn’t beat them the next. Guides and charter operators and business owners don’t burn twice or more than twice the fuel for nothing. Keep that in mind. That’s where they are fishing and for good reason. When they say it has been “good” your impression of good may be “on fire” but to a guide it’s just “decent”.
When I Guide I fish to get my guests into fish. 3-5 people is a standard group size. 6 is more common from a coat sharing option and family and groups of 7-12 are common for those inclined to go after them. That means production and volume....guides go to where the most strikes and opportunity is. I did. I do.

Now as for all the grief we get about recapping and summarizing our own trips and recent history based on our information or first hand information that’s useful information. I went out yesterday again where I was on Wednesday and got 2 more chinooks in the low-mid teens. Again, had to wait for slack tide.

Anyways, one of the reason some of us do not post much anymore is because of getting ripped on for sharing a little which is not enough including pictures, videos and GPS coordinates.

There’s a reason Some of us withhold because it’s about sharing too much and having nothing left to feast on....know what I mean? There’s a reason I cryptically posted. Starvation isn’t cool.

There are fish out there, want bad enough, and go find for yourself. There are no secrets. If you’re having a hard time get out some binoculars...follow the Grady Whites and other guide boats around...they are very recognizable and there are fish where they are fishing....or was recently anyways.

Tightlines and make the choice to go fishing. Only 7 weeks until it’s all over....not to **** anyone off....but just a reality check. And I could care less if some stinky white springs are swimming off the Cap.

If anyone is observant enough and wants bad enough there are picture reports out there of great results from the last 7 weeks which have WAY too much information in them and those fish are being caught which aren’t intended by nature to be caught...but that’s a different debate...knowledge shouldn’t lead to exploiting something which shouldn’t be. Soon however everyone will follow the pied piper and there won’t be any for anyone....what a stew.

Last edited:
I dont get out very often with work and family taking up much of my time but do appreciate the reports so that when i do get out i have a better chance at having some luck. I wish i could be out there all the time and hopefully one day ill be able to do that but for now i look for some help that this forum does give at times and i try to post especially if i am doing well. To each their own for posting or not posting.

Crossed over yesterday pm, lines in by 4 at Grande. Lots of weeds there so moved around to the hook. Good amount of bait at the surface, tried up high for a while with nothing to show. around 7:50 saw some bait off the bottom in 200' so dropped the gear down there and the bite was on. 3 hits that didnt stick, 2 keeper springs both 27" long reds. All on the blue splatterback hootchie, rod #2 saw no action all day (spoons and other glow hootchies ran on that one).

Spent the night in Silva Bay then a nice early am run back over. At work by 8am!

After a couple of skunkolas around the bell it was nice to get into some fish.

I personally find reports on here to be about 2 weeks late and reports from Pacific Angler, Bon Chovy ect to be about a week late. The odd time people on here give real time reports and the bite lasts for a couple weeks after the report but I find reports on here generally about two weeks behind the bite.

Kinda a moot point now, we're getting into the season where you just fish chartreuse, glow,uv, lemon lime flashers ect... with an anchovy in a glow,green,bloody nose ect.. rhys davis teaser head. at 70-30 feet on the rigger in 200-300 feet of water from Sandheads to T10, to North Arm to Bell.

Or will get a sockeye season, and sockeye mayhem will happen

Edt: haha i just looked Pacific Angler said just about the same thing

http://www.pacificangler.ca/pacific-angler-friday-fishing-report-july-27-2018/

Last edited:
Personally, I think us sport fisherman would do better not giving numbers of catch or pictures of a dock/box filled with salmon because you know that just sends these crooks that want us to stop fishing into a frenzy.

Also saying that, if you wanna report, maybe do it at the time, which would help other guys, otherwise your just bragging the next day for forum stardom.

I pretty much always report as soon as I get home. I usually try to stay off my phone and enjoy the moment and lock my eyes in on those rods out there.

I am a believer that this site is all about give and take. It’s pretty greedy of those who don’t want to give up the hot bite spots but keenly watch where you are getting yours.

There are a lot of great people on here that are so nice that they pm me without me approaching them to give me the hot tackle combos and the best spots that week. To those people I tip my cap. I would give you tips but for now it’s just what NOT to do.
Ps. Put your plug in the boat BEFORE putting it in the water ;)

I post while fishing, be it good fishing or slow fishing. Leeching from others and not contributing simply doesn’t sit well with me.

Hardly anyone uses the VHF anymore. It may be best to think of this forum in that light. Meaning, you don’t need to be a member to read the posts. There are many many people reading this who never contribute and never intend to.

Perhaps that should change or perhaps there is a members only forum I’m not aware of. A members only forum could spur members to contribute or lose access. Also, I’m sure everyone would feel more inclined to share.

Anyone think this is a good idea? Does this already exist?

For me, having just started fishing here locally in Vancouver last year this forum has been extremely valuable. The new reports are great and give me a starting point for my next trip, either its location, depth, lure or time of day it gives me some sort of confidence that I am doing someghing right.

There will always be those that will say they had to learn the hard way from hours and hours of doing it on their own while their grand pappy showed them the ropes 50 years ago.......guess what, not everyones grand pappy fished here. I grew up locally with a boat rigged for fishing that only ever saw the salt water when we went to Port Alberni in August. We never fished here...didn't know how or where.

I am now at the point where I get to wake my Father up early in the morning and take him out fishing. We often talk about how without this forum and other online resources we wouldn't be fishing.

Yeah it would be great if we all had up to the minute info when we are out there and I have had conversations with some members here while on the water.....I am sure lots of people become friends and text rather than post. I take the reports as what they are.....just one more piece of information i can use to hopefully have a better day.

I pretty much always report as soon as I get home. I usually try to stay off my phone and enjoy the moment and lock my eyes in on those rods out there.

I am a believer that this site is all about give and take. It’s pretty greedy of those who don’t want to give up the hot bite spots but keenly watch where you are getting yours.

There are a lot of great people on here that are so nice that they pm me without me approaching them to give me the hot tackle combos and the best spots that week. To those people I tip my cap. I would give you tips but for now it’s just what NOT to do.
Ps. Put your plug in the boat BEFORE putting it in the water ;)

Last year I was putting the boat in the water and backed it in and stopped to take off the safety chain and strap. For what ever reason I looked down the side of the boat after taking off the straps to double check things and noticed a big stream of water coming out the side of the boat. Took me a sec to figure out the bilge pump was working overtime. I just tell everyone I was making sure the auto switch was working lol. This year I saw a guy motoring it back to the dock found out he forgot the plug and they where already out a bit. Lucky them lol.

Fishing RC couple of unders. Not seeing much from other boats

Update no luck today. Gowan to RC and back. Time to focus on sockeye hopefully next week

Last edited:
Last year I was putting the boat in the water and backed it in and stopped to take off the safety chain and strap. For what ever reason I looked down the side of the boat after taking off the straps to double check things and noticed a big stream of water coming out the side of the boat. Took me a sec to figure out the bilge pump was working overtime. I just tell everyone I was making sure the auto switch was working lol. This year I saw a guy motoring it back to the dock found out he forgot the plug and they where already out a bit. Lucky them lol.

Couple years ago a friend and I launched at McDonald and were off to fish the bell. Decided ah screw it let's jus go to the cap mouth. So bombed all the way across the harbour once we slowed down and started getting the lines ready we noticed there was water in the boat above our ankles... forgot the dam plugs. Beached the boat on some sand at a west van house. Went into the water and put the plugs in underwater. Floated around and started bailing and bailing water while the bulge pump worked it's butt off. Eventually got all the water out. I was stressed out and soaking wet could only summon enough energy to get one rod down maybe 40 feet before I had to roll a joint and strip down out of my gross wet cloths and BAM. 27 pound spring. Line was in the water for 1 minute. Pretty ridiculous day I'll never forget.

After reading this thread for a couple of months and reading the recent discussion on contributions, I decided to create an account and become a member.

I am not a guide and do not claim to be a pro but I think I do alright.

That being said, I will do my best to contribute while I am on the water.

As we all know, there is no point in bragging on here after the fact, that is what Facebook is for.

Thank you to everyone for all of your posts, keep it interesting.

I was out yesterday, started at QB (saw lots of bait jumping at the surface), was slow so headed to the Bell. Fished there to QA, picked up halfway to the Hump. Not a sniff. Moved to the Hump and tried there for a bit, no nets out there either. About an hour to slack tide we headed back to the QA and back towards the Bell. Was just about to call the 5 minute warning and one of the rods went off. Got our hopes up for a good sized dog. Oh well, what can you do?

Just a matter of time now. Looking like Sockeye is going to open early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back