Commercial fishing

Trophy21

Crew Member
I've seen way more commercial vessels then I've seen in the past while fishing off the west coast this year. I even saw a drag net fishishing boat dragging le prouse bank in june! I encountered at least 10 trawlers off kouquot this year running in teams covering huge swaths of water. What commercial sector is fishing now? what sector is dragging!!!!

Dragger typically target Hake. Dunno what you mean by Trawler, which is another name for dragger - do you mean troller?

The net is a trawl net.
Trawl nets are dragged through the water by a vessel.
Some call that vessel a dragger, others a trawler.
Some species are targeted on the bottom, hence a bottom trawl or bottom drag.
Other species are targeted by a mid-water trawl.

Mid-water trawlers can be partially selective in their targeted species by employing different sized mesh and separator grates (shrimp trawls mainly).
Bottom trawls are all around terrible, since they decimate the bottom and choke out the benthic layer, the most active layer of the ocean.

The troll fishery uses hooks on lines that are dragged through the water by a troller.

Clear as the mud after a bottom trawl passes through, no?

Last year I had a trawler pass me by Moresby Island. Guy asked me how Fishing was going and told me he was trawling for bull heads?. New one for me and I’ve lived on the coast my whole life.

Was at the fuel dock in Port Hardy, One troller comes in and bumps into another troller and the captain yelled out " what are you an F-ing gillnetter"

It was pretty funny

Was at the fuel dock in Port Hardy, One troller comes in and bumps into another troller and the captain yelled out " what are you an F-ing gillnetter"

It was pretty funny

Aww man! That's just jealousy talking.

On a positive note, I am only 45, so in another 40 years I will be old enough and slow enough to be a troller.

I can never be a seiner though, you have to be 5 by 3. 5' high, 5' wide with an IQ of 5.

Gong Show, over and out!

Yes I ment troller.

Given that Pierre's Idiot Child & his government stole 75% of Area G's quota, and then turned around and handed that to the new FN commercial fishery, there should be NO surprise seeing trollers anywhere, any time off the West Coast of the Island.

In previous years, Area G (for decades) has been kept off the water for June & July due to "Conservation Concerns".
Once this new FN fishery got underway, surprise surprise, there are no longer any Conservation Concerns, and they fish full bore basically whenever they want to.
With government support that is.
All in the name of "reconciliation"...

Where's the PUKE button... :(

Nog

Thanks nog that's what I thought. A lot of fish being taken for sure!

Thanks nog that's what I thought. A lot of fish being taken for sure!

Considering they also engaged SIX long-liners to operate full time in an area that supported one or two (short duration), and have publicly stated they are going to "vacuum up" the halibut, lings and rockfish - then YES - I would say a LOT of fish are being taken.

Sad Times...
Nog

Unfortunate comment. I really don't think that it is a very fair comment to make - grouping all people of aboriginal descent into a single group description or perception thereof in not correct.

Agree but if it’s coming from their mouths.....it is certainly a slap in the face with a follow up double finger.

I think these so called commercial fisherman are just greedy assholes and the local politicians that allow this in their traditional waters are the same.
If all FN were the same, there would be a hundred boats out raping the ocean instead of ten.

...but all groups have a percentage of greedy users. It doesn't matter what user group any individual participates within, each group will always harvest to its capacity as a collective. We all must find the middle ground and choose to work together in a mutually beneficial progression. We all need to put fish first. Simple.

Supreme Court allocation makes that impossible but you knew that.

Unless you think everyone should have equal and fair access to fsc fish.

First Nations are the fastest growing population sector in bc. As they grow ao does their fsc needs. The BCWF put out a letter that sums it up all nicely.

http://www.bcwf.net/images/M_images/2018-July/LtrToMinisters.pdf

The new commercial fishery on the WCVI is just yet another ruling from the Supreme Court in favour of indigenous people.

This idea that fish come first in this Supreme Court environment is almost impossible. Want to save early run Fraser chinook do to the allocation policy they would have to shut down the coast. Managers would rather let some stocks go extinct then shut down the whole coast. Fsc right are so enshrined in court rulings they truly come before conservation.

Last edited:
Unfortunate comment. I really don't think that it is a very fair comment to make - grouping all people of aboriginal descent into a single group description or perception thereof is not correct.

It isn't meant to be a blanket comment. I would say native people have claimed to all be stewards of the land maybe they all don't say it but comments from many of them blanket themselves in that title. I believe there are a lot of them that are but I was making that comment more towards when you involve money Stewards of the land becomes secondary but not only for native people.

Back