If DFO wants a imaginary line let it be....If you want a solid line then put up a MARKER and show people were you want us to fish and NOT FISH !!!

It should have never been Otter Point in the first place and then to set the mark to include the entire shore casting spot is vindictive at best. Why did they not set the line at the west end of the hard rock and the start of the gravel beach? It would take the guess work out of it, wouldn't need a marker and the shore guys would still have one place to go.

Hillier420. It's now 8:35 and you are probably gone by now. Love to hear your fishing report re: fishing at Sooke today. I was there yesterday along with a hundred plus boats and didn't see one decent fish caught. Lots of 12 inchers, especially by those using spoons. One guy held up about a 15 pounder to show some buddies, but that was it. No one at the fishing cleaning station (Cheanuh). Fishspoon must have been where I wasn't??

Picked up 2 x 20lbers yesterday, had a couple other hits. Today lost a 10 lber at the boat and had a huge hit and screamer on, then it long line released.

Went fishing to Otter today. Nice sunny day. I noticed the water was pretty brownish but barely any debris or kelp. So I was expecting a relaxing fishing day. But I didn't get any time out. Those little shakers were hitting my gear non-stop. Their size was from 16" down to 10". Latter were often hooked unnoticed. Anyhow I found some bigger springs eventually and went home with a 16 lbs and a 10 lbs. Both hatchery males and both did fight hard.

Fished 7:00am until noon with a buddy yesterday. Tried Possession and the Trap.

First a huge boom tug (in fact one boom, two tugs) came right through Possession Point and the gap between Secretary and the Park, in the fog! In fact the fog did not lift all morning and was still there when we left.

Second the flood tide was very strong and made fishing difficult and it was lumpier than I expected round Possession. Couple of shakers here.

So we went with the tide around Secretary and along to the Trap. Unfortunately a combination of the strong tide and the fog swept us on to the reef just east of the Trap where we hung a ball. In a few seconds, while we were retrieving the gear and trying to swing around in the current all of the cable played out and we lost all the gear on that side!! There was only 200’ of cable on there and there was not enough time to take counter measures. Never lost the entire cable before!:(

Made do with a spoon and slip weight on that side for the next 90 minutes but we did not contact anything else on either side and called it a (disastrous) day! :(Oh well, cannot be lucky every time.;)

Fished Otter this morning. A bit bumpy running up and fogged in first thing. The water layed down a bit after the first hour and the fog rolled back a bit making it quite nice for the guests from Texas. We picked up a small spring which we kept so they could have it for dinner tonight at the Sooke Harbour House. We then picked up a 15 pound spring awhile later. I told them that I was expecting most of the activity from about 9am onward when the flood current would start. Well just before 9am one rod goes off and my lady guest takes her turn. I turn the next rigger on to clear it and maybe 10 feet up I feel the classic bump and know its now a double. I tell Judd another one come and grab the rod. I wait a second to make sure they have them seperated so they don't cross each other up and once that is done I turn on the last rigger to get it clear. LOL 10 ft up and bump again!!!! Now its a triple and my hands are full. We are doing a three way dance back and forth over and under..I finally get control of mine, put the rod in the holder and get all the riggers up and stowed. I land Judd's first and hand him the rod with the 3rd fish. After clearing the net I get both the 2nd and 3rd fish on board...3 for 3. 20, 19 and 15 pounds. 85, 84 and 79 cm. It was 9:20 and we were done. They took the 4 bigger fish and I brought home the small spring for our dinner tonight. Yes the water is brown but this year it doesn't seem to be effecting the fish or the bite.

Attachments

• todays catch.jpg
    todays catch.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 188
All reds for me today but had one white out of 4 springs yesterday.

Took the girls out for a fish this morning at 8am. We trolled the bay at the Head for 4 hours in the fog. At 8:30-10am the small springs were hitting non stop. My daughter hooked a nice 7lb Sockeye which we had to release but they had a good time anyways. Fisheries was at Cheanuh checking guys on the way in.

7 springs today for 2 trips and 10 hrs of fishing, dropped 3 more. The largest went 23 pounds and I almost let it go as an over 85cm...it was 90cm. Luckily I took a last glance at it before I let it go and noticed it was clipped. That would have been embarrassing!!

Attachments

• todays.jpg
    todays.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 133
View attachment 39143 Lunch is packed and I’m off to try sooke! Say hi to me and Original if you see the blue double eagle!
Tight lines!
Ha. Your poaching my turf and I'm heading for yours.
Towed the boat to work today and heading for Sidney around 4:00.
I don't fish Sidney much but I like the tank top/ flip flop conditions out there.

Good Luck!

Good solo day today. two overs by 8;30 , 92 and a 95. That extra 7 cm sure looks small! Got that warm and fuzzy feeling though reviving them and watching them swim away. Found my slot by 10 and long line released 2 others.
Waters seemed to be a lot clearer today too. Cant say as much for the morning fog.
Now to convince the wife we should go fishing for our anniversary...... Yeah, I know better.....

Back