21' tin can

aMonster

Hi. I have decided at this point in life I want to spend more time fishing and in something better suited to our coast than my canoe, but I really don't know much about motor boats.

How comfortable would I be in a Hews Searunner 210 on the westcoast of the island, Uclulet or even down around Bamfield? Also, if I don't want to freak out the wife running from Nanaimo to Vancouver, would I have to wait for less than 20 knot winds in that boat?

This would be powered by a suzuki 200 instead of the Yami I had originally planned, guessing that should not be considered a downgrade?

I had an 18 foot Hewescraft Searunner w/ the extended transom and fished the west coast every year. Had to pick my days offshore but the boat handled way more than my nerves and some of my buddies stomachs could. The 21 w/ the width and deadrise improvements made a couple years ago would do anything you want all over the coast except for weather and sea state that makes no sense to be in otherwise.

I’ll let other chime in about running in wind created chop but it matters if your running with or against it, whether it’s with or against any significant current, how long the wind and waves have been building and I’m sure a load of other factors.

Cheers!

Ukee

I wouldn't recommend starting a Nanaimo to Vancouver crossing if the winds are 20 knots in a boat that size. I'm sure it would make it but it would be very unpleasant and you would have to be very attentive with steering and throttle to minimize bone jarring pounding. I would highly recommend waiting for less than 15 knots. I have a 2425 Kingfisher and have recently crossed both ways in 19 knots. It was rough and unpleasant but obviously, I survived. I always check the Entrance Island wind speed on the Environment Canada marine weather website before and after I go to calibrate wind speed with sea conditions in preparation for my next trip.

I think a 21 foot Hewescraft Searunner would be fine anywhere in winds less than 15 knots which essentially means, stay off or get off the water if whitecaps start to appear. I had a 2008 Campion542 for many years and operated it inside and outside Barkley Sound and had plenty of fun and few concerns.

Thanks for that real world info Paul, I have better things to do than pound waves so I'll heed your advice.

If yer new boat were coming with a Suzuki when you were shopping Yami would you lose any sleep over it?

I have only owned Yamaha motors, but I would seriously consider a Suzuki motor if Yamaha was not an option. I’ve only heard good things about them, but I can’t say I’ve done any research on the matter.

I think most popular brands are very reliable nowadays. I’m also a fan of Japanese engineering and quality control, so to answer your question, I would not lose sleep over it.

Thanks for that real world info Paul, I have better things to do than pound waves so I'll heed your advice.

If yer new boat were coming with a Suzuki when you were shopping Yami would you lose any sleep over it?
No problem with the zukes, yamaha has been dropping the ball lately with warranty issues, welcome to the site Paul

I have only owned Yamaha motors, but I would seriously consider a Suzuki motor if Yamaha was not an option. I’ve only heard good things about them, but I can’t say I’ve done any research on the matter.

I think most popular brands are very reliable nowadays. I’m also a fan of Japanese engineering and quality control, so to answer your question, I would not lose sleep over it.
Hi Paul, I have owned Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki's over time - all are great and depend mostly on their maintenance history.

I have a brand new 200 suzuki on my new boat it is amazing.

I'm pushing a 16" stainless prop due to the higher gear ratio of the suzuki. Do some digging online but don't hesitate cause they are great powerful motors. The boat I bought had Yamaha rigged and I had them remove it to rig the suzuki.

I also went with the 9.9 power trim electric start suzuki kicker. It's the only fuel injected 9.9 on the market. Very very happy...

6 year warranty vs 3 year with Yamaha.

by any chance is it the Suzuki DF200ATX? I also speced out a Suzuki T9.9 kicker, it is pricey but as you state... a beautiful little performer. Can I ask what your fuel burn costs are for a 6 hour day in moderate chop, lets assume the highest gas price of $1.50 a liter and two hours running with four spent trolling?

Thanks

Curious about how much the 9.9 vibrates. I have done some reading and it seems to be common complaint...perhaps not in the last few years. I’m having a new boat built and haven’t committed to power yet but will have to in the fall. I’m going twin 150’s and a 9.9 and want it all one brand so either Yamaha or Suzuki. Any feedback on the kicker would be great....

by any chance is it the Suzuki DF200ATX? I also speced out a Suzuki T9.9 kicker, it is pricey but as you state... a beautiful little performer. Can I ask what your fuel burn costs are for a 6 hour day in moderate chop, lets assume the highest gas price of $1.50 a liter and two hours running with four spent trolling?

Thanks

Yes my mains a df200atx, it burns 30 l/hr at 4200 rpm and 25 knots speed. Not sure what that converts too but it is the most economical speed for my boat (defiance San Juan 220)

Not sure what my kicker burns as I don't have any way of tracking as its plumbed into my main and I haven't tested with a portable tank to see fuel burn. I havent had any vibration issues and there was a issue with a harmonic on them which they have fixed with a new prop ( at least that's what the dealer told me)

When I speced my setup out it was a couple grand cheaper than the Yamaha (April this year) and it was a no brainer with the 6 year warranty. They also hooked it up with a digital tach and nmea2000 bus to my lowrance.

I went with mechanical controls and had a hard time deciding if I should pay the extra money for fly by wire. I didnt feel the extra money was worth it and I have no regrets. It would have been about $3000 more as it's a different motor model and extra expense for controls

No regrets and am very impressed with both the main and kickers performance.

Thanks for the review. I’ll be be going with regular controls as well. I have been leaning towards the Suzuki’s but was concerned about the 9.9. Good to know they seemed to have figured it out.

Back