2018 Winter Harbour Reports

thanks Marty, I'll post a report when I get back!
Interesting thing about the springs not showing up. Bamfield is boasting some pretty good fishing outside. I hope it's just the wind causing problems and the fish are hanging outside.
Come on Saturday! Get here will ya. Want to get our fish on.

We where outside lippy, topknot, highway couldn't find them anywhere, they seemed to be coming in on friday as a few where caught hopefully its picked up for you guy's have a good trip always love going to Winter Harbour.

PS all the bait is very small, our springs all came on Bait, buy the smallest anchovies you can find.

We where outside lippy, topknot, highway couldn't find them anywhere, they seemed to be coming in on friday as a few where caught hopefully its picked up for you guy's have a good trip always love going to Winter Harbour.

PS all the bait is very small, our springs all came on Bait, buy the smallest anchovies you can find.
Krippled K spoons are crushing those Chinooks this year!

Still hit and miss inshore for springs. Some out on the highway, last batch through were mid teens, smaller than what we have been catching. Still have to put your time in and weed through all the coho out there. The feed is still small, not to many coming in with the larger herring that we normally see at this time of the year. Weather looks good for the next week, even with these gale warnings the weather hasn’t been to bad, most of the serious wind is below Brooks in the Kyuquot area. See you in the harbour.

Regards

Fishyboy

Ice machine is still up and running

Regardsj

Fishyboy

Thanks Fishyboy and Norman!

Let me know if you need something brought up from the bustling metropolis of Campbell River.
I will have some more room now that I'm not filling the v-berth with coolers of ice!

Past 4 days in WH. Small boat so limited to where we go. Coho limits easily. One small spring, but we did see a few landed inside by Cliff Pt and did lose one about 20 lbs beside the boat as well. Did some jigging and got some lings up to 75cm's, all inside waters. No hali's as we did not target any. Windy outside I heard everyday. Love this place, had a blast as usual!

Past 4 days in WH. Small boat so limited to where we go. Coho limits easily. One small spring, but we did see a few landed inside by Cliff Pt and did lose one about 20 lbs beside the boat as well. Did some jigging and got some lings up to 75cm's, all inside waters. No hali's as we did not target any. Windy outside I heard everyday. Love this place, had a blast as usual!
Looking forward to some Salmon action... taking 3 "salmon virgins" to winter Harbour on Aug 5th... hopefully they will stile around..... and of course a little white meat..... keep those reports coming folks... I will do my best to report when I am up there!

Still hit and miss inshore for springs. Some out on the highway, last batch through were mid teens, smaller than what we have been catching. Still have to put your time in and weed through all the coho out there. The feed is still small, not to many coming in with the larger herring that we normally see at this time of the year. Weather looks good for the next week, even with these gale warnings the weather hasn’t been to bad, most of the serious wind is below Brooks in the Kyuquot area. See you in the harbour.

Regards

Fishyboy
Thanks, be there by 5 or 6 tomorrow night. I love doing time with Coho's. Is there any sillier fish out there? We will take what we get and not complain. We are coming for fun, and catching is the bonus! Ive had my chance to land the big 50. lost it at the boat. I have nothing to do but keep trying my luck. tight lines.

Thanks, be there by 5 or 6 tomorrow night. I love doing time with Coho's. Is there any sillier fish out there? We will take what we get and not complain. We are coming for fun, and catching is the bonus! Ive had my chance to land the big 50. lost it at the boat. I have nothing to do but keep trying my luck. tight lines.
Norman, I like your attitude. You also have a very nice boat there my man! Welcome to the forum and I hope You catch your 50 again soon

Can one of the guys on here familiar with the regulations clear up something for us? When fishing Quatsino Sound area 27-2 can a person keep 2 wild coho a day and have 4 in possession (2 days limit) .... the way they write the special regs it isn't clear (at least it doesn't state it clearly to us when we read them, if you can have 2 a day as a mixture of hatchery and wild or two hatchery or two wild ( I know it is two a day, but in what combinations )???? thanks for any help !

Just back from a weeks fishing in Quatsino ( July 21 to 25 ). Late posting as we stopped in the BC interior for a while. Chinook were hard to find, and appeared to be scattered, not in a large school. We caught an 18 pounder on the humps west of the lighthouse, the remaining few were caught at Cliffe Point and inside the Sound - all less than 75 cm. Harvey Cove held a few for a while, but then it became a bumper boat gong show. Coho were also around, but not in a large school - they were also scattered both outside ( Lippy humps, Lighthouse humps ) and inside at Kains, Cliffe, the fish farms and west of the Quatsino Narrows. We had no hookups on the Salmon Highway on our first try - we must have been between migrating schools - so we didn't spend anymore time there. We found that we had to try different lures and colours at each spot we fished, as what worked at one spot, did not produce at another. Coho Killers and hootchies in Irish Cream, Peaches & Cream, Cop Car, Splatter Back, Purple Haze, White Lightning all had their moments. We didn't try any bait - maybe we should have. All but one of our group were novices, so we lost at least 50% of our hookups, including some screamers, but everyone had fun and that's the most important thing. Going back up for Aug 10, and I hear that sockeye are now allowed in 127, so if anyone has any advice on whether Port Alberni sockeye tactics work in Area 127, please share!

Back