• Thread starter Deleted member 8461
  • Start date
When he asked DFO why the ban included halibut and bottom feeding fish, Hicks said he was told there weren’t enough enforcement resources to ensure those on the water weren’t fishing for salmon.

There seems to be enough resources there right now? Anyone not seeing the officers on the park bench at Otter and the zodiacs?

Anyone have more details on this? Time of day? Duration?

Otter would be a great place for this so they can clearly see us trolling by with downriggers and rods out. (trolling flashers only)
Hopefully someone will call the RAPP line on us when seen so we can get DFO attention.

After the morning bite in the open areas ; )

Anyone have more details on this? Time of day? Duration?

Otter would be a great place for this so they can clearly see us trolling by with downriggers and rods out. (trolling flashers only)
Hopefully someone will call the RAPP line on us when seen so we can get DFO attention.

After the morning bite in the open areas ; )

Sheringham lighthouse
fishing protest , going strong support is everywhere, 6am till noon sunday the 29th, land jobs are being affected as well, hoping people will come out sunday morning to the SOOKE TRAFFIC CIRCLE AS WELL THOSE WITHOUT BOATS ALSO HAVE A VOICE,
Come out one and all and show OTTAWA we are a community
CBC and other news media are on they're way so lets show them we care

Sheringham lighthouse
fishing protest , going strong support is everywhere, 6am till noon sunday the 29th, land jobs are being affected as well, hoping people will come out sunday morning to the SOOKE TRAFFIC CIRCLE AS WELL THOSE WITHOUT BOATS ALSO HAVE A VOICE,
Come out one and all and show OTTAWA we are a community
CBC and other news media are on they're way so lets show them we care
I’m glad somebody is stepping up! Nice job!

good advice...the one red neck will surely make the evening news and make the event look like its all about a bunch of greedy fishers who are pset because they can't keep on killing fish like they used to.

good advice...the one red neck will surely make the evening news and make the event look like its all about a bunch of greedy fishers who are pset because they can't keep on killing fish like they used to.
You provide a lot of good insight within this forum. Maybe rather than the "village idiot" speaking out maybe sport fisherman in general need someone like you and other sensible people to take the step forward and reach out to the media. There's so much good representation within the forum but people in general outside us fishing adicts are sheep that need to be educated with proper information. With social media these days it's way too easy to spread the jones town kool-aid to the mis-informed.

What not make it his all about our support
For the bubble over small areas being closed. Perform a simulation of it for the media. Get everyone on the same channel on VHF

I’m normally on 71. By doing this everyone can stick to a single topic issue if interviewed. Simply put after the demonstation of how effective the bubble would work. The message is it is far better for the whales to have all boats move out of the way coast wide so they are always in quiet waters...than close areas they likely are seldom in and kill small community economy’s with little benefit to the whales

Have a
Have a couple of boats pretend they are whales moving into Sheeingham. Someone announces on the radio there arrival and anglers respond by radio and by passing it along verbally to others, pick up their gear and move away from the direction the whales are going.

Have a
Have a couple of boats pretend they are whales moving into Sheeingham. Someone announces on the radio there arrival and anglers respond by radio and by passing it along verbally to others, pick up their gear and move away from the direction the whales are going.
Isn't that what most of us have done anyway and they still shut us down.

Honestly no, most of leave after the whales have passed. The bubble is different...when you see or hear that the whales are approaching you are to turn off your sounder, pull your gear and get out of their way before they are on top of you. Let them pass then decide to resume fishing or go home. Up until now we all keep fishing while they pass all around us hoping for that one last panic bite that often occurs as they pass through. We would be will to give up that 15 minutes of fishing in exchange for keeping the area open. Obviously for it to work you would need 100% buy in from everyone on the water...and you know that if it was ever implemented there would be eyes watching to see if we were complying as intended.

Last edited:
If DFO had stuck to closure at Sheringham instead of slapping us in the face with Otter Closure, there would be a lot less push back and a lot less negative effect on Sports Fisherman, Guides, Marinas and Businesses.
That extra area that they took was nothing short of ignorant and the losses way out weigh the gains for everyone including the whales.
I now hate whales. LOL.

This "protest' has a greater chance of back firing than making any positive impact.

Worst case scenario it comes off look like greedy fisherman that don't care about whales.

Best case it sends a confusing message the media butchers and the average joe at home feels apathetic about.

This cause needs a single spokesmen, a younger well spoken woman would be ideal. Nobody is sympathetic to middle aged white men with $50K boats.

You need a single person that the audience can connect with, a face for the cause. There need to be a coordinated strategy that involves PR, campaigning for donations and social media.

You can't pot shot this sh*t - you need a strategy that involves steady pressure.

A consumer needs to see a brand many many times over until they recognize it. It's not different with a social cause. Getting a one time hit in the media won't register, it won't brand the cause.

You need a PR hit (news) and you need social media backing up that message before, during and after that PR hit.

You guys are trying to re-invent the wheel, but the play book has already been written...

Last edited:
Oh I think after a year of being shut down there might be some motivation to do what it takes to get things opened up again. There would be alot of self policing going on from the guys who do care and don't want a few idiots jeopardizing there on going access.

i am out of province so wont be there for support. Even though that is not my fishing area i do know,
this is just the beginning and i know from past DFO history my area and yours and yours will be next.
I suggest the organizers , hand out leaflets with bullet points of our most important issues of concern.
obviously invite the press , treat with respect and keep the mouthy drunks away from them.

Back