how would you fix this?

adrian1991

So when replacing the caulking around the trim i finally notice that the stuff the previous owner put over his bo bo with the dock i think its marine tex
I started to peel away and it looks like its down the to glass in one spot
im not looking to spend mega amounts of money to fix it, it is what it is
what would you suggest on how to repair this the best way yet not pour a ton of money to fix it

I doubt you'd be able to peel out Marine Tex. It is what I would do a small repair with. If it was bigger, I'd use epoxy and glass.

Ya unless it was applied wrong marine tex hardens like glass. Most likely sikaflex. Post up a pic. Marine tex is an awesome product and ive used many times to patch small and bigger holes, cracks and gouges.

Most likely the original material was gelcoat. Get all the mickey mouse crap out, sand, clean with acetone & re-apply gelcoat. Color dye's are available. Sand & buff as needed.

Once you clean up the damaged material you can get a shiny, glass-like finish on Marinetex by stretching saran wrap over the repair. Pull it tight to remove all wrinkles and tape the edges down. Leave for 24 hours.

Took some time to get the picture to load but here it is
i started to pick the stuff off of it to get a beter idea of whats under there

Can i brush on gelcoat? On the vertical surface of the hull will it run?

Attachments

• 2018-07-22 19.46.04.jpg
    2018-07-22 19.46.04.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 129
Ended up grinding away most of the delaminated fiber glass and gunk the prevopus owner had on there to only find that he put a hole in the hull just under the bow trim about the size of a quater so off i went to industrial paints and plastics and dropped a hundred on fiberglass materials to fix it...

Back