2018 Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

Have you folks contacted the media about this? Its pretty obvious cause&effect here. Not just that the derby was cancelled, but the genuine economic impact from the cancellation.

Since too many people still watch legacy media, and believe the #FAKENEWS that they puke out daily, it might be a bit of a story worth pursuing for them.

To all the volunteers and sponsors who have worked so hard on this derby I thank you as it truly was one of the best. But with the salmon fishery on the edge of disaster I think all derbies, tournaments etc should be cancelled until we can get this ship turned around. Even if they are catch and release derbies I truly believe derbies are not helping bring back the fish except this derby where they were donating to the Net pen project which is fantastic. Instead of Derbies, ticket sales, prizes, jackpots etc, All the money that fishermen spend on this should just be put back into Net pen projects or the price of the license fee should be increased to accommodate this. DFO 100% needs to do a better job at fish management, strategies to produce more fish. Net Pens and land based hatcheries are the key to revival of this industry. With this derby been cancelled, I am hoping this raises awareness and how this effects everyone in so many ways.

Thanks again for all your hard work. Lets don't focus on the negative, lets turn this thing around and take away all the positives we can from it.

Well I want to share some positive news. A few of the ticket buyers have informed us they don't want their ticket monies back and want it donated directly to the net pen. That is fantastic and shows how the general fishing community buys into a derby for the right reasons, to support the cause. Thank you guys and gals. Also a few of the sponsors who have heard about the cancellation (we haven't contacted most of them yet) and have told us they don't want their cash sponsorship monies back and want that money donated to the net pen. I will list all of these great sponsors once we have contacted everyone. Our deficit is evaporating and we are closer to being back on a level ground financially. As I said in an earlier post there is a good possibility of more good news coming soon. An email will go out soon to all the tiket holders explaining how to get their full refunds. One issue we have is that one of our two required cheque signing officers is on holidays back east. We will get it figured out.

Joe you can use the donation button located on the top of the home page at www.anglerscoalition.com website. There is a 2018 project total funds required banner up compared with the donations we have received so far. The last time I looked I think we have secured about 32% of the money we need for the net pen this year. That is money in hand...there are more monies promised but we don't physically have it yet. Thank you Joe..is that US or CDN? LOL

Hey Rollie,

Will donated funds go directly to sooke net pen? Two SVIAC members in my household will be donating plus many more fishing partners who will be supporting if it is. Pretty glad you guys have mechanism to donate already in hand just want to make sure it's going where we want it to.

Thanks Rollie,
Darin

Darin, yes and you can always follow up with an email or phone call and let us know what you want done with any donation. Generally the only money we collect that we use at our discretion is the membership dues. We use them for lobbying efforts, sending staff to meetings like the annual halibut commission meetings, renting meeting rooms for townhall meetings etc.

Thanks Joe...if anyone asks that fish you caught with me went 50 not 49 and a half!!!! lol

Reactions: RBL
2018 JUAN DE FUCA FISHING TOURNAMENT CANCELLATION UPDATE

REFUND INFORMATION

Once again thank you for supporting the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament, which in the past has raised funds for SVIAC’s Sooke Chinook Sea Pen Project. The following information explains the refund process for tickets holders - please read it carefully:

For Tickets Bought at Retail Outlet or the Boat Show:
We are currently processing ticket refunds and will mail out cheques shortly. Tickets purchasers will receive a full refund, including retained Accumulator Jackpot money (only applicable to those who bought into the Accumulator Jackpot in 2017).
Please email info@anglerscoalition.com with your current mailing address as soon as possible, so we know we have your correct information. Our tournament tickets only capture your phone number and email details, so our mail out information may be somewhat dated. In your reply please refer to all the ticket numbers you purchased – especially in the event you bought ticket(s) for a friend and that refund should come to you.

For Tickets Bought Online:
For those who bought their Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament ticket(s) online, we will be reversing your ticket purchase through our Paypal account and your refund should appear on your next credit card statement. If you purchased an Accumulator Jackpot entry in 2017 we will mail you your $20 refund via cheque, which will be mailed out shortly.

NOTE: - If you have a questions please contact Rollie Rose at (250) 213-3055 – sscl@shaw.ca or Chris Bos at (778) 426-4141 – chris@anglerscoalition.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Information:
The Derby Committee estimates that by cancelling the 2018 tournament, SVIAC will incur about a $6,500.00 loss due to expenses that had to be paid well in advance of the event. Printing and marketing costs make up some of this, but the largest invoice by far is $4,717.00 for the complimentary tournament hats. The tournament hats are purchased offshore and are ordered at the end of January to be ready for the pub nights. We would like to give all ticket buyers their free tournament hat as a small token of appreciation for your support and for any inconvenience you have suffered by this cancellation announcement. We will leave a small supply of hats with each of the retail vendors for 30 days. Simply take in your 2018 tournament ticket stub within that time frame to receive your free hat.

With the Juan de Fuca Fishing Tournament cancellation SVIAC obviously will not receive any funds from the event to support the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen Project this year. We ask that if you haven't already contributed to this project in 2018 that you please give this consideration (FYI - our goal is to fund 1,000,000 juvenile Chinook for out-planting in our Sooke pens in 2019). Donations can be made through the SVIAC website at https://www.anglerscoalition.com or emailing chris@anglerscoalition.com or contacting Chris Bos at (778)-426-4141.

South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition is doing an ever increasing amount of important work to maximize your access to our regional fisheries. Buying or renewing your membership helps us to maintain an effective voice that speaks to your angling and conservation concerns. Please consider becoming a SVIAC member or keep your membership current to ensure we can continue lobbying on your behalf and raising more Chinook for the future.

Thank you for your continued support!

Chris Bos, SVIAC president
and
Rollie Rose, SVIAC BoD and Derby Committee Chair

Last edited:
Its a huge shame that this happened, I donated $50 towards the Net Pen project, I hope it provides great terminal fishing in the years to come! Sports fishermen need to come together Coast wide and support these projects. Regardless of if you fish these stocks or not, Every fishermen coast wide still will see a benefit in one way or another.

upload_2018-7-30_10-53-57.png

We are going to action off many prizes which we purchased for the tournament on this site in the Buy/Sell/Trade/Wanted Forum on this site. Many of these items we bought at sale prices or at no markup from our tournament sponsors. We thought that rather than return these items for a refund we would auction them off and try to raise funds for the Sooke Sea pen Project. We will start the minimum bid on each item at our cost including taxes. Each item will be up for the highest bid for 24 hours from the time it is posted. So here is your opportunity to support a Chinook project and get a nice item for your generosity.

Back