2018 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

DSC01784.JPG DSC01782.JPG
Any recent reports, thinking to come up this way from Vancouver.

City slickers rolled in Thursday, white board strategy session went long. late start Friday, lines down Epsom 12ish 3 pop offs then a double out side contours 140 and 160 green headed herring port, purple drivers side. One was under one was broken off.... moved into the inner canyon big bait ball one tack one fish 141 on the wire, second tack fish 2 should have grabbed the Tubby's but 3rd tack fish 3. Small yum yum fish. 3 crabs home. Looks like possible Sangster day today...........

Went out with a friend yesterday for the first time in about 6 weeks and boy were the rods hot with coho. Lumpy ride from Selma to Welcome Pass, but calmed down beyond Thormanby and laid down nicely by late afternoon. Fished Bjerre Shoal first, found around 5 wild coho and 1 undersize spring. Hopped over to Upwood got into another 5 or 6 coho, all wild. Still no springs or hatchery coho lol! We cruised into a friends "cabin" for shore lunch and went back out to Epsom for the night bite. A couple more coho, then decided to soak good ole 602. 2 cookie cutter 8-9lb hatch reds with the sun setting over Texada. Love the fight on plugs, makes a 9lber feel like a teener…. and when you feel them shoot strait for the surface you know theyre gonna launch... boom air time. Hell yeah, stellar day.

Went out with a friend yesterday for the first time in about 6 weeks and boy were the rods hot with coho. Lumpy ride from Selma to Welcome Pass, but calmed down beyond Thormanby and laid down nicely by late afternoon. Fished Bjerre Shoal first, found around 5 wild coho and 1 undersize spring. Hopped over to Upwood got into another 5 or 6 coho, all wild. Still no springs or hatchery coho lol! We cruised into a friends "cabin" for shore lunch and went back out to Epsom for the night bite. A couple more coho, then decided to soak good ole 602. 2 cookie cutter 8-9lb hatch reds with the sun setting over Texada. Love the fight on plugs, makes a 9lber feel like a teener…. and when you feel them shoot strait for the surface you know theyre gonna launch... boom air time. Hell yeah, stellar day.
No kidding, hooking into a dozen fish and bringing 2 home sounds like a lot of fun!
Are the wild coho getting any bigger, or still in that 5 pound range?

Still around 5lbs. A couple small ones but mostly around 5ish. Little firecrackers tho. Would have loved to smoke a couple hatch, but I'm not complaining. :eek:;)

There's a little store on the fuel dock, pretty sure there's a dinner restaurant at SC but I've never gone there (the other guys that moor there will know better then I). There is a general store and the upper crust café in Halfmoon bay that you can dock at and walk up to as well, just have to rip through welcome pass, 10 minute burn.

Their is a restaurant above the store on the dock. Unfortunately the owner has closed it for this season due to health issues. I know this for fact as i was just up their literally in the store and on the dock a couple of weeks ago. I was thinking of making a trip myself. The store does have some provisions and some quick food as well if need be. Cheers.

Ya was just there, restaurants closed, lots of stuff in the store. Best to pack a cooler and bbq. Fuel and nice washroom and shower facilities.

Fishing was good, my first good trip of the season with the wife and boy. We had good weather and some good bites, jigged salmon for the first time. Boy ( 6yrs) jigged a 13 ponder, epic fight, managed to get it onboard and also managed to get the hook of the li’l nib right through my finger which was hooked on the net with the fish going nuts also inside the net, I can now lol. The boy was awesome, so compation, he got me paper towels for the blood and proceeded to say Daddy that fish wasn’t worth that, I proceeded to tell him it was very much worth it lol. Always use the pliers. Stayed at secret cove, nice place a little expensive for everything but nice, more of a cruiser ritzy crowd around though. High light was the jigging, and figuring out a few back eddy spots that produced with things seemed to slow, got a 18 and the boy lost some big hits doing that. Was fishing outside in the strong currents and a little wind looking in thinking man it looks fishy in there, but risking getting in there was productive. Weather was also nice for the most part.

Fishing was good, my first good trip of the season with the wife and boy. We had good weather and some good bites, jigged salmon for the first time. Boy ( 6yrs) jigged a 13 ponder, epic fight, managed to get it onboard and also managed to get the hook of the li’l nib right through my finger which was hooked on the net with the fish going nuts also inside the net, I can now lol. The boy was awesome, so compation, he got me paper towels for the blood and proceeded to say Daddy that fish wasn’t worth that, I proceeded to tell him it was very much worth it lol. Always use the pliers. Stayed at secret cove, nice place a little expensive for everything but nice, more of a cruiser ritzy crowd around though. High light was the jigging, and figuring out a few back eddy spots that produced with things seemed to slow, got a 18 and the boy lost some big hits doing that. Was fishing outside in the strong currents and a little wind looking in thinking man it looks fishy in there, but risking getting in there was productive. Weather was also nice for the most part.
Awesome Dave you're making me feel better about this kid on the way lol. I'm heading up to Madeira for a few nights and bringing the tender and jigging rods. I might just drive back down to secret cove and splash in there if any really nice guys wanted to tell me some good spots an 8' inflatable with a 2.5 HP can get to???

Don’t worry about the kid and fishing, seems like your wife loves fishing also so you’ll be s fishing family. There will never be arguing over going fishing, only fights once on the boat lol. Get your little guy or girl on the boat right away like within 3 months, great place to put the baby the sleep and for momma to just relax and launge. Then baby will be used to it all.

Awesome Dave you're making me feel better about this kid on the way lol. I'm heading up to Madeira for a few nights and bringing the tender and jigging rods. I might just drive back down to secret cove and splash in there if any really nice guys wanted to tell me some good spots an 8' inflatable with a 2.5 HP can get to???

I know there are guys that winter fish just outside of Secret Cove - along the wall heading North - definitely worth a try in your tender...

Really good bite off Upwood tonight, trolled in close to the reef, lots of bait couple guys jigging with some success on Tom Mack’s. Lemon lime glo with green stripe working best for us, couple double headers. Catch and releases nothing over 13 pounds or so
where's upwood?

Back