Why are you a better fisherman?

Good intel helps you not waste a day fishing where there isn’t fish. The guides catch because they know what they are doing and they all talk with each other in real time. This forum is generally good for bragging, but you’ll notice most of the time reports are posted when the day is done plus up to a couple days. That tends to be useless.

Other than that, confidence. The fish somehow know.

On the preparation theme:
We usually fish with a crew of three so it's important to know what the respective roles are. The driver steers the boat, watches the sounder and our speed and generally avoids obstacles. Two guys are on rods so if my rod goes off, I totally focus on the fish. My partner will get the ball up and swivel the downrigger along side the boat, then he gets the net ready. I can play the fish and bring it toward the net. The driver keeps forward motion but also steers the boat so the fish comes alongside. I keep the fishes head down and try to guide him to swim into the net. There is no stabbing or frantic scooping with the net. we communicate, of course but we don't usually have to say too much after "fish on".

A gooooood fisherman pays attention to details .... where are people fishing and being caught not drive by boats playing fish...
also learn your area and waters if there is reefs ill bet you there will be big springs laying in there. drop offs, kelp beds, valleys etc they all hold fish on certain tides/currents.
Also and I hate to say it as im one of them look for the guides... if you see 6 guides in a area they are fishing it for a reason... I dont mind saying hi and giving tips out there just remember we are trying to work and goes with any one fishing dont crawl up someones butt or get to close if you are playing a fish. if someone hits a fish in front of me I usually turn completely around you will alot of time pick up the scattering fish. courtesy goes a long way towards other fisherman trust me....

Good luck Wolf

I have developed a few techniques over the years which are unique and take a lot of effort. I’m a firm believe in excessive movement when fishing. Typically I will work one downrigger up and down all day. I will drop it 10ft off the bottom and then bring the gear up all the way to the surface while quickly reeling to gain on the slack. Then I will drop the gear again and repeat until I entice a fish. Kind of like drop mooching with a downrigger. I know it may seem a little crazy but it works for me. The odd time the rigger will get short circuited due to the excessive use.

We all want to catch fish. But clearly, some are doing that well while others are often frustrated.

There are hundreds of members here. You have no doubt noticed that the same people are submitting reports again and again. Of the factors discussed in these reports, the key factors are location, tides, type of lure, speed and depth. I would guess the people who write in their reports are doing other, more subtle things too. Like perhaps using scent.

In my case, if I'm not catching I'm always experimenting: watching the sounder, trying different depths, changing lures, changing tacks. I only pull up and move if nothing seems to work.

What do you do? What are the "secrets" that improve your likelihood of being at the cleaning table?
one word "passion"

If you want to learn how to be a better fisherman, go out with someone with lots of experience. Pay attention to how things are done and pick up on some tips and tricks. I went out with Owen (Fish Assassin) and picked up some great tips. Even how to set up your boat to be more effective. And oh yeah, always limited out every time. Thanks Owen

Luck in fishing is only related to how big your fish was compared to others, or the area you are fishing. Other than that knowledge is key, That is why guides do so well. 7 Days a week, 12-14 hours on the water and in particular they know there special spots really well. I have been fishing for 41 years and have learned from some of the best. I still learn every day and every adventure. As the saying goes its called fishing, not catching! I watch guys are the time fishing and they spend more time out of the water then in. You might as well have stayed at the dock and had a beer. If I go fishing for example 6 hours, I better not have my lines out of the water more then 30 minutes during that 6 hour period. Be prepared for tangles, lure loss, line breaks etc. Fishing is work but Id rather be fishing than working. The best tip that I can say is hire a local guide for 4 hours everywhere you want to fish. Watch and learn. Your paying to learn how to fish. Spend a couple thousand dollars on your fishing education it will pay off for sure. Call it your fishing degree! Stick and stay and make it pay is so true. I barely move spots ever unless I get intelligence on the water that day that is going off. But generally you are too late by then anyway. So stick it out. Whats the worst case you didn't catch a fish! Its beautiful out be grateful and treat fish as a bonus. Once you change your mind set things might get a little easier. Unless you have promised your wife a fish for dinner with guests then it might get a little testy! I never promise I just say I let you know by 2pm, but have a back up plan if needed. Kraft dinner is always easy and available.

Enjoy what we currently have today. Its great hearing all the old stories but I live in the moment and the moment is now.

Here's to tight lines, calm seas and ............. FISH ON!!!

Funny post - fishermen do exaggerate, for sure but this part, about time on the water, is a huge factor in success. I've fished with lots of good guys and they are all pretty forthcoming on what works for them and they all put the time in. I'm lucky because I'm retired now and can spend time on the water. We are heading to Poett Nook in a few days so I'll let you know how lucky I was ... or I'll make something up! lol
Yes. Time on the water.

I’m successful because I put in a hell of a lot of time and effort and wanted to be successful.

I asked a lot of questions to the top rods in my area and was helped out due to my likability and friendliness. I always take time to talk with other anglers and boaters at the docks. I now give the info that was taught to me.

In my experience, many people are either not that friendly or socially awkward or something meaning most people I find dont go out of their way to speak with strangers around the dock, I do. Networking is very helpful to getting on the fish.

Patience is huge, you gotta out in time and effort, I always laugh at the reports where guysfished 10 different spots with 30 different set ups. Sometimes you just have to wait for the bite to come on. If I hear of a really hot bite and it’s been dead for me then I will make the run though

Also be aware of your surroundings, watch who’s hooking up who’s not and learn what’s going on the get bites. I ve given info to so many people over time only to watch them do something totally different

Main thing is, I don’t think it’s luck it’s as Garry cooper says, it actually is an attitude

How many times do you hook up on a turn? Some say that's because you are trolling too fast/slow but I think it's because fish are stimulated to strike at erratic action. We are trying to imitate injured bait so anything we can do to avoid a linear, consistent action is a good thing.

Others have said it and I agree: trolling is about finding fish first of all so work it when you do; circle back if you get a hit or hook up. Work an area until the bite goes off.

Another thing you may notice is that fish are being hooked up on one tack. If you trolled for half an hour East and picked up fish, don't waste time trolling all the way back West, catching nothing. Maybe pull up and run back to the start of your tack. You wanted to check your gear anyway.

Check the guts of the first fish you catch - can you approximately match the feed with bait, a hootchy or a spoon? If nothing else it builds confidence if you are doing it right.

No truer words. My boat always does better the more laid back it is. Stick and stay and make it pay. Stay with gear that works the best for you. Always laugh at guys that go fishing with those huge tackle boxes and think they need to fish every lure in the box and spend all day changing gear. My grandfather always told me the you can't catch fish if your gear isn't in the water.

Hey! My tackle box is huge haha.... actually, I have a collection. Different tackle bags for whatever type of fishing I’m doing that trip.

My Dad and family had been commercial Salmon trollers for about 35 yrs when i got my first Troller.
I remember my dad saying "ol joe over there is still a greenhorn , he only been trolling for 15 yr"
So after i put in 16 yrs i figured i was worthy of being able to wear the white highliner hat.
But until the day i retired , i was still learning and wanting to try new ideas.

Another truth is no matter who you are your worst trip or your best could be tomorrows. I don't think there is anything more frustrating than watching it all go off all around you and its like your boat is full of black cats and bananas. And then so uplifting when its really slow but your gear is the only gear pulling fish. After 50 years fishing I still can't figure those two extremes out.

the other one is the difference between a good trip and great one could be just one fish......THAT fish.

Rockdog always says that when we are out together and it's completely true.

I don't think I am better than any other fisherman here, But I do my homework of where I am going to fish, Read reports, Forums , Whatever I need to, to get a clue of what to start with. Color, Depth, leader length. I keep my gear clean and new looking except for teeth marks. Trust my electronics. Once I catch a couple fish on a certain lure I start changing other rods to that color depth or whatever. And I believe in using scents if not to attract to at least cover any human scent. Put the time in on the water..

Why are you a better fisherman. Well, for me I believe it's about persistence, willingness to listen and learn from others (including on this forum) and patience. When I started as a newbie, 4 years ago, the dealer that I bought my boat from took me on the water and showed me the in's and out's of the boat and then showed me how to set-up the rods, flasher and downriggers etc for trolling as I had never done it before. From there it was lots of trips, mostly solo, as being new to the island I didn't know anyone. Gradually I met a couple of folks at the Esquimalt docks who were willing to share tips and I continued to read about wind, tides etc. Lost lots of lead and downrigger cable, snapped off a couple of rods etc etc in my first year of learning.

I have a limited supply of tackle, have low end rods and reels and still manage to pick up a few fish while enjoying my days on the water. I believe that I learned very early (in my mind anyways) that there is a ton of fishing tackle available in all colours, sizes, shapes and prices and for the most part they will all catch fish,,,,,if the fish are there and they are biting. I truly believe that what you have on the end of your line is not as important as many make it out to be. Reading reports you will see that one guy used this, another used that and yet another guy used something else, all in the same day and same area. The particular piece of tackle that caught you the most fish is the piece that you use the most. So if the fish are there and you find them, and they are biting, you will get your share.

Knowing where to look and understanding the conditions, best tides, best locations etc is where experience comes in and I truly lack in this area which is why I spends hours and hours on the water to increase my chances of hooking up. Putting in my time doing what I love to do still leaves me with many skunk days but the day where a friend, me or one of my grandkids land a fish, well that makes it all worth while. (Those are the days when I got lucky)

Back