Boaters playing chicken with firefighting air tankers

What is with people these days. You sure can’t fix stupid. it’s like that boat that tried to out run the seabus. Is people’s mentality I’m on my holidays and your ruining my vacation.

Easier to judge then be judged and id be
the first to admit it but with the absolute
no limit to the range and depth of diversity of cultures in which we live
with these days there is no end to the possibilities.

New Canada=no respect, common sense or understanding, I am sure the boaters were pissed that those pesky airplanes were interrupting their day on the water. NDP should form a committee to study this, then ask for public input, then do what the hell they want after anyway.

HM

Ya will never happen ....."Birdbrain"
We allow ISIS fighters to come back to Canada and walk the streets.
New Canada=no respect, common sense or understanding, I am sure the boaters were pissed that those pesky airplanes were interrupting their day on the water. NDP should form a committee to study this, then ask for public input, then do what the hell they want after anyway.

HM
Pretty sure aviation is Federal jurisdiction.

Not that it relates to this thread really, but those small planes are useless imo. Like dropping a thimble of water on a campfire. When you need a bucket. They need to go back to the mars bombers.

Not that it relates to this thread really, but those small planes are useless imo. Like dropping a thimble of water on a campfire. When you need a bucket. They need to go back to the mars bombers.

There is only one Mars Bomber left flying and this very question gets flogged like the proverbial horse every fire season.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/martin-mars-bc-fires-1.4197766

https://globalnews.ca/news/3589169/martin-mars-water-bomber-bc-wildfires/

??Care to elaborate on this.
Sure!

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/regulations/C.R.C.,_c._1416/page-1.html

Application
  • 3 (1) Subject to subsection (2), these Regulations apply in respect of
    • (a) every Canadian ODAS and Canadian vessel located in any waters, including every Canadian vessel that is an exploration or exploitation vessel engaged in exploration or exploitation activities pursuant to a licence issued by the Government of Canada;

• (b) every pleasure craft, foreign ODAS and foreign vessel located in Canadian waters, including every foreign vessel that is an exploration or exploitation vessel engaged in exploration or exploitation activities pursuant to a licence issued by the Government of Canada; and

• (c) every seaplane on or over Canadian waters.

??

Care to elaborate on this.
For what it's worth ,any plane that is on the water is no longer considered an A/C and is governed by boat rules!! However being stupid around an aircraft when it's landing and taking off is asking for problems-they have limited ability to see and maneuver. Just remember--really doesn't matter if you are right or wrong if you are both dead!! Firefighting in an A/C is a tough job and very stressful-the pilots don't need any more sh## on their plate!!

Let's let the old dinasaur mars water bomber fade away. Every year silly people whine and cry that it is not used. There are far more efficient aircraft that cost much less to operate. Enjoy retirement water bomber.

They drop more water per hour, more precisely, more efficient and a hell of a lot cheaper than the old Mars. Having worked with both, I would take the Fire Boss any day, especially in mountainous terrain. The old Mars had her day, but there is a reason nobody is hiring her any more.

You should see what happens when the Mars hits an area on fire......**** flies everywhere, including burning debris that is scattered from hell and back, sometimes causing more fires. It does put out the area, but only if it can get close and has an area already marked by retardant etc. In the mountains it struggles to get lift, it's payload is dispersed with the thermals and just is not efficient any more.

Amazing to watch and hear, she is a relic from the past that needs to be turned into a museum.

Cheers

SS

They drop more water per hour, more precisely, more efficient and a hell of a lot cheaper than the old Mars. Having worked with both, I would take the Fire Boss any day, especially in mountainous terrain. The old Mars had her day, but there is a reason nobody is hiring her any more.

You should see what happens when the Mars hits an area on fire......**** flies everywhere, including burning debris that is scattered from hell and back, sometimes causing more fires. It does put out the area, but only if it can get close and has an area already marked by retardant etc. In the mountains it struggles to get lift, it's payload is dispersed with the thermals and just is not efficient any more.

Amazing to watch and hear, she is a relic from the past that needs to be turned into a museum.

Cheers

SS

Good points. I think too many people get wrapped up in the nostalgia of the Mars and don't realize that the old plane, requires at a minimum, a 3 mile stretch of water to descend, scoop and get airborne again. I have been lucky to see these bombers in action more then a few times throughout the years and have always marveled watching them work. However I have to agree that the smaller Fire Boss aircraft are much more efficient, maneuverable and more suited for real mountainous terrain as compared to the Mars.

Back