Why are you a better fisherman?

There's a reason 10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish, and this statement is true maybe not completely accurate but darn close. Luck plays into it of course but that just adds to the good anglers days. Good fisherman catch fish consistently even on the bad days they will produce something. Yes they can get skunked too but not regularly. Fishing is fishing same principles apply to all species, each has their unique style but same principles. Any given year will find me fishing multiple species of fish in different styles of angling from fresh water lakes, streams, salt water to ice fishing. Many different baits and lures depending on species or season or time of year but same principles.

PS. I don't lie by the way, don't have to, I'll take the good days with the bad but I won't lie about it.

It’s no secret that I don’t fit into the good fisherman category quite yet! I do very much agree that the fish sense that you lack confidence. I was pretty good last year, in my rookie year. But this year has been mostly skunkfests.
I will put in my time, continue to monitor conditions and reports and once this slump of mine busts, watch out fishies. My bonker is ready to get messy!

Che..here is how luck comes into fishing. First off I totally disagree that catching fish consistently is mostly luck. If that were the case there are a few of us that should be buying tickets and winning the Lotto regularly. Being able to consistently produce mature Chinook salmon to strike your gear involves knowledge and skill. The luck part is the size of the fish you end up with. Turn slightly right and you get a 20 pound fish....the guy beside you goes a little left and gets a 35 pounder. He was lucky but you both had the knowledge and skill to get those fish to hit. The old saying used to be that 10 % of the fishermen get 90% of the fish. Those odds have changed a bit today with modern gear and social media. But the message is still relevant.

In general - Learn. Keep learning. Listen. Read. Research. Do what has worked for others and it will work for you. Show the fish what it needs to see.

Specifically - if you are new to it and have a boat take Pacific Anglers introduction to Vancouver Saltwater Angling Course. I did this when I first bought my boat and had no clue what to do. By far the best money I have ever spent. It is the most comprehensive introduction to salmon fishing in Vancouver you can get. Then just keep learning and tweaking on your own.

Fishing is a game. So just remember to always enjoy the game and you will do well.

I blame most of my bad days in bad vibes on board. The more uptight my crew is the less likely we are to catch fish. Best fishing days we are relaxed and laughing.

The bites not always on. Gotta stick and stay sometimes. Be confident and wait it out.

Fishing is a game of odds.
Do everything you can to increase your odds. Then stick to it. Be confident.
No truer words. My boat always does better the more laid back it is. Stick and stay and make it pay. Stay with gear that works the best for you. Always laugh at guys that go fishing with those huge tackle boxes and think they need to fish every lure in the box and spend all day changing gear. My grandfather always told me the you can't catch fish if your gear isn't in the water.

Salmon are dumb don't overthink it, troll fast till you find them and do circles till you lose them, dry hooks don't catch fish KISS

I see two perspectives here:
1) Be collaborative and share information because it helps someone else enjoy the sport that you love and because the networking helps you in return.
2) Don't share because you had to learn the hard way and others must put in the effort as you did.

Lesson I learned in kindergarten: the world is a better place when we share.

Off topic but someone surmises that fishermen write reports for the fame. That's a sad person. My personal take is that writing reports is a pain in the butt but I do it as a way of paying forward. I have been fishing for over 60 years and if I can help someone a little bit with my experience or knowledge, I will. This recreational fishing sport is under threat and the way we keep it possible and vibrant is to stick together, help each other and portray a unified voice to media and government. The fame comes in when the media and government notice and listen.

I moved from stacking 4 rods to 2 rods years ago and found a significant increase in numbers. I think that it is part due to the fact that I can focus more on 2 rods. As has been said, detail is a key feature of success. Rods are checked often to rid them of slime, shakers, etc. I have found more landings by staying under power and controlling the boat for whomever is playing the fish. This also helps move the boat out of the way of others. Be prepared so lines are in the water as often as possible - I keep 2 lines/rods ready in case one or both of the ones been fished need to be worked on.

Totally agree on the two rods. Sometimes I'll run 4 for stimulus for guests that dont fish often but when we find them down to two right away. Always get funny looks. Also pay attention to top rods when they spill there beans at the dock after a few beers lol. Wicked guide out of sooke tought me and my buddy about the two rods not 4 and even showed us his chovy roll, how he does cut plugs, even marked his tacks on my plotter. Thanks Jorgan.

Sure you have to be lucky, but nothing trumps personal experience. Remember why you lost every fish or why you caught them. In my mind covering water quickly and watching the sounder counts for a whole lot. When you see bait or arches, do a big circle and go back through don't ignore them. If you pick a fish up near bait, do a big circle and go back through it the same direction you had success on. Replicate and remember the successful moves you make. A famous saying I was told on the river: "don't leave fish to find fish". Once you've put in enough time, covered enough water and found fish in certain areas you'll be able to formulate your own theories about why they sit in certain areas and you can hit them quickly and either find fish or move onto the next.

Something else I've learned is the importance of fishing structure or strategic areas, but when fish are migrating you have to dedicate some time to fishing the "highways". Your getting skunked hard fishing structure, but if you turn out into the deep there's travel lanes out there. Try the 500' line, split your rods 90 and 130 and boom traveling fish. You wont find this success if you don't put in the time trying new things. Keep one rod with your favorite lure or saltiest chovie at your favorite depth but try another somewhere you haven't before... way up high maybe? Boom fish at 50'.

Try new things, replicate success, have fun, get lucky.

The best fishermen is the one who looks forward to putting line to water, and enjoying every second of it...

Maybe the better fishermen to some is the fly caster who hikes in 2 hours to some secluded pool in a stream, and patiently bombards a lone trout with every pattern out there, wins victory on a 2lb test leader, and lets him go.

Other then that deep thought, the best fisherman can also be the guy who marches to the cleaning table with pride, and his two buddies huffing and puffing carrying the heavy fish cooler....

Last edited:
Salmon are dumb don't overthink it, troll fast till you find them and do circles till you lose them, dry hooks don't catch fish KISS
I disagree strongly with this statement. Fish are definitely NOT "dumb" - they are however - predictable. They respond in a predictable way to the patterns of water quality that they encounter - and to other patterns of predation/escape & spawning. They are but a sense organism responding to stimuli - some of which we understand - some of which we do not. The question for those who wish to encounter and capture fish - is can we understand those patterns? Can we then take advantage of them?

However, I agree that the older fish are admittedly "smarter" than younger fish - because the "dumber ones get knocked-off first - and this often shows in differences in reactions to predation events between younger and older species/individuals. Pink salmon appear "dumber" than coho, for example. Pinks being a 2YO fish - coho ~5YO. Can you imagine the experience a 60-120YO rockfish has? That's why I believe the East Coast cod stocks haven't rebounded as expected - they are teenagers having babies in dumpsters.

Last edited:
Here's the thing...I smile and wave at individuals who beak.

I'm sure there are some great stories about these types of clients. But come on now, you certainly have to realize that your position there brings instantly solicits stories and information credible or not.

[QUTOE] Luck [/QUOTE]

I think everyone missed what I said about what makes someone Lucky. If you buy a single 649 ticket, you might win. If you buy 10'000 tickets, you have a better chance at 'getting lucky.' So with fishing, the more you do it, learning, remembering, adapting, experimenting, the more it increases your odds. But you can still get lucky out there.

I don't think I am better... I think I am half-decent though - so my answer to the question in the post are below:
- stay humble and appreciate any day on the water, regardless of catch
- if you have one on the line, be patient and wait until its ready to be netted (head first, I might add...) haha

I think the core of the answer is experience yes but to be more specific, which is why I think the thread was started in the first place, I can recall "learning" a few key things.

1. Timing

I rarely go out anymore without checking tides or ensuring an early start.

2. Preparation

With experience and checking updates on this forum I make a plan as to what and where I'm going to fish the next day. I prep my gear, tie leaders and sharpen all my hooks!

3. Patience

I don't like to fish less than 3-4 hours. I know that in an 8 hour day I can easily have a few hours of no action. So why risk that 3 hours being the extent of your trip.
I've learned to wait for a bite instead of running around from spot to spot. With social media it's not hard to know where the fish "should" be.
Then patience on the rod. When I do see a hit I don't freak out and grab it right away I wait and make sure it's on. I've seen lots of small hits that don't stick and 10 seconds later he's circled around and given it a real go.

4. Stay CALM

When it's finally all come together and you see the rod go off, take your time. This was the hardest thing for me to learn because I'm a spaz. I pull the rod, make sure I have a good grip and hand position, put the butt of the rod on my belt or a comfortable spot on my gut (NOT ON YOUR CHEST YOU LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT) and then I reel down first before I try and pop the clip. Freaking out and yanking on the rod and spooling your reel or losing the handle and not being ready to catch up to the fish is not a good method. Once I feel that I've taken up all the slack and the fish is running I stop reeling and give the hook one more good set, I've lost WAY less fish since I started doing that one move. Just don't do it too early or when the fish is coming at you or you'll go slack. Then I let the fish tell me when it's ready to come into the net. In the winter I find they want nothing more than to swim directly at you and right into a net on the first go. Come fall with a big spring on I'll give it at least one run from the boat, I don't even bother trying to net until it has. And last I calmly lower the net with the excess slack coiled in my hand and only when the fish is right there. I don't know how many times a buddy has snagged a down rigger or cleat trying to rush the netting.

Oh yah and one last thing. Circles. When I get on fish I circle around. If they're not there I circle bigger. When I get back on one I re-center my circle. Fish in circles to stay on the fish!

I’ll add this thought: with the basic knowledge of how to use downriggers, and tie knots for leaders, a beginner can catch fish, even a great big whopping fish. It’s the experience, practice, knowledge that makes he difference between doing it once vs. Doing it consistently.
Another factor is the area in which you fish. If you’re like me and are super busy and live 3 minutes from Sidney boat launch, I am conceding the fact that Sidney tends to be slower than Sooke or up island. At this point I will take what time I can get on the water. And yes, I still love every minute out there.
Thanks to you veterans who are willing to share your tactics.
I get it if you don’t want to share, but you suck.

Update: rain city’s post above is excellent!

I might add that I think the OP worded the title of this thread wrong. Or did he?

You can interpret it as what makes you better than anyone else which is what I think some have, or you can read it as what made you personally better. Idk? I definitely didn't post as a hot shot lol

Back