2018 Port Hardy Reports

We came back with a bunch of fish from our trip last week. Limits of springs and Yellow eye, must have caught 15 hali, released 4 between 50-85 lbs, ling was a little slower than usual.

Springs were on the small side this year, lots of 8-10 lbs we weeded through. Too early for coho so none came home.

The Seaquilizer worked awesome, a permanent addition to the boat.

Interestingly enough, got checked twice in the first 3 days on the water; dock side by the CO's and RCMP, who looked at our licences, fish and trailer lights, but no safety gear or boat operators lic. Second time was on the water by the Officers from the Coast Guard boat, who showed up just as I hooked a good hali. They proceeded to check lic and check our fish we had. had a good chat with them and they were impressed that we had our **** together....apparently not a lot of people do.....the hali measured 120 cm and was released just as they left. Was good to see them on the water.

Cheers

SS

"Limits of Yelloweye" ? How many Yelloweye Rockfish would that be for your party?

Area 12 is 1 per day and possession of 2 per person on any rockfish, so their limit would depend on how many people in group

Currently retention for Yelloweye Rockfish is zero (0) coastwide.

This applies to Area 12-14 and coast wide. Effective April 1, 2018. Fisheries Notice FN 0249.

This appears under "Restrictions" on the DFO website when looking under limits.

These are the facts.

FN 0343 contradicts FN 0249 and the on line limits information under restrictions on the DFO website. Hmmm.? Do we assume that more recent FN supersedes the earlier one and overrides information on the website under bag limits?

Last edited:
FN0343-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish - Lingcod and Rockfish - Areas 12 to 20 and 29 - Open Times and Limits for May 1, 2018

ROCKFISH (Rockfish and Yelloweye Rockfish in the aggregate):
Effective at 00:01 hours May 1 to 23:59 hours September 30, 2018 fishing for
rockfish will open in the following areas:

Areas: 12 to 19, 20-5 to 20-7 and 29-5
Daily limit: one (1)
Possession limit: two (2)
No size limit or annual limit is in effect.
Gear: angling (hook and line) and spear fishing while diving.

Areas 28 and 29 (except of Subarea 29-5) remain closed to fishing for rockfish,
this includes catch and release.

Ok... I'm reading that only 12-14 is closed for yellow eye? All other area's in Area 12 open? Some clarification please.

FN0343-RECREATIONAL - Fin Fish - Lingcod and Rockfish - Areas 12 to 20 and 29 - Open Times and Limits for May 1, 2018

Thank you

Guys

I knew it was another questionable fishery regulation, but also knew that I needed to look further.....SO....I actually made some calls. Also, since we were checked TWICE, I asked both times to be sure...double/triple check so to speak. The CO's had to check an app to be sure and the DFO officer confirmed what we knew.

You can keep 1 yelloweye/day, 2 possession limit in areas 12 to areas 19. Since we fished area 12, we could keep two yelloweye each. We had 4 fisherman x 2 yelloweye= 8 yelloweye retained and brought home. 12-14 is the top end of the island and is considered outside waters and since all OUTSIDE waters are closed to yelloweye, 12-14 is closed.

I appreciate the questions/concerns, but I am a legal fisherman through and through and also because my job/career and family/life depends on it.

Cheers

SS

Fished duval in the morning put a few 10 pound chinook in the box. Go board of the 50 boat cycle jerk. Went out to nawiti bar and struck out 15 boats their and only saw 3 chinook netted. Saw a line of 10 guide boats heading towards Bremner. Maybe should of headed north.

Was supposed to be but Duval pt lodge and Rodgers could not come to an agreement so Rodgers moved down near Barnett pass in port McNeill.

Rodgers Lodge is not at Duval, I go by there everyday

He has set up down near Port McNeill

I’d do a bit of research on what’s going on

PM me if you would like more details

Been fishin port hardy at all the local spots(within 15 minutes) the last 3 days, and it seems as if the bite has slowed down from 2 wks ago. 4 people 3 springs, limit of wild coho, and too many pinks to even imagine. Coho from 40 to 100 ft, springs 50 to 90, and pinks from 40 to 150. Tried for springs deep hoping the marks on the finder were them, nope, turned out to be pinks. Great time fishing, just have to find wave of fish right place right time!

He might want a couple of bigger fish to showcase his lodge
I just took a picture off his web site to help out Chap Clark. Showing him the two different locations between Rogers and Duval point lodge. There's lots of pictures of fish on the web site. Have a look.

Back