2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

There’s a guide at esquimalt anglers right now cleaning an 82lb Hali, plus two other nice ones that were not over size.

He was happy to utilize the “experimental” quota to take the big one.

Still options for some if you want the big fish!

Last edited:
out for a few hours 3-6 watrfront. Lost my hot coho killer that was catching lots last few trips. Unfortunately it was still attached to the rod that my fishing partner lost over the side. So there is a nice $500 prize Amundson TMX5/Fenwick HMX combo somewhere off the flagpole if anyone lucky enough to dredge it up. On the fishing side, nothing but a few shakers and undersize lings.

ouch!

out for a few hours 3-6 watrfront. Lost my hot coho killer that was catching lots last few trips. Unfortunately it was still attached to the rod that my fishing partner lost over the side. So there is a nice $500 prize Amundson TMX5/Fenwick HMX combo somewhere off the flagpole if anyone lucky enough to dredge it up. On the fishing side, nothing but a few shakers and undersize lings.

That's depressing, I once dropped my uncles leatherman Wave off Discovery point in Nootka. felt like as butt, never lived it down.

Don,t mean to side track. But how you handling that one?? You take the loss? Anyone offer to buy you a new one. Just asking because now I hate taking newbies along for all the damage they do.

I have tons of old tackle just for the unexperienced. They get a Penn 209 on a old Granger rod. No loss if it goes to Davey Jones.

Once they catch a few fish and improve rod handling skills, I upgrade them to a Penn 320 on a Ugly Stick.

No one touches my high value gear but me.

July 31 is the word from DFO and there still might be restrictions. We will have to wait and see what Aug 1st brings us.

Got out into Oak Bay both Monday and Tuesday nights. Monday was as good as it gets - 8 & 18lb hatchery fish within 15 minutes of dropping the lines down all on the high slack around 6pm. Same time same place on Tuesday but just a single shaker - lots of crap in the water Tuesday -- constant cleaning the lines. Loads of bait/fish showing on the sounder. Looks very fishy.

July 31 is the word from DFO and there still might be restrictions. We will have to wait and see what Aug 1st brings us.

There wont be anything further Aug rolls back to normal please dont spread rumors around as it freaks people out. Don't expect a grand announcement same as last year it will expire. I think you guys have been punished enough in south.

Back