2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

No luck for me out Monday 9-1 off waterfront from clover to Mcaulay. Looks like I should have gone to the flats;-)

Out on the flats last night for a few hours and nothing. Saw some fish inside brotchie.

Current out on the flats and it is beautiful. Hopefully will update with some fish

Dfase I Moved to the gap about the time you posted from the flats.
The only sniff I had in both places was a strip chomped in half. Yes I even tried the old fashion way with a Roy Smith dogger and strip teaser. It was the first time back out in a long time. My son and I became partners with his motor replacing my broken one. Thursday was a perfect day for fishing
Tight lines Tom

Dfase I Moved to the gap about the time you posted from the flats.
The only sniff I had in both places was a strip chomped in half. Yes I even tried the old fashion way with a Roy Smith dogger and strip teaser. It was the first time back out in a long time. My son and I became partners with his motor replacing my broken one. Thursday was a perfect day for fishing
Tight lines Tom

The gap was the only place I was seeing fish on the sounder. Nothing in the boat though

Going to try Sidney tomorrow....

Not really sure, never fished up there. Was going to cruise and see where others are fishing. I am guessing there will be boats out on a Saturday...
I would like to hear how you did in Sidney? I wonder if I would be more successful soaking my crab traps at the spit ? at willows I caught forty females and small males not one keeper . I like the ramp out there even if you have to pay!

I would like to hear how you did in Sidney? I wonder if I would be more successful soaking my crab traps at the spit ? at willows I caught forty females and small males not one keeper . I like the ramp out there even if you have to pay!

We spent most of the day on the beach and swimming at the spit. Did a troll for an hour at powder wharf before heading back.
First time fishing there. Pulled a couple of small lings but no silver. I did see a heck of a lot of action on the sounder. Gonna go back tomorrow and try a longer shift.
Unreal day to be on the water today

Fish were on the flats this am. Res Orcas came through and were seen foraging. Better get them before all eatten up.

Picked up two little guys today at the tide change, 10 and 8 lbs. No record breakers but a good day none the less.

Breakwater, anchovy, the regular summer fishing deal.

I forgot to mention yesterday, there was a sport crab set in right tight to the end of the breakwater. I doubt anybody would set there but you never know these days. Lol
So if you’re missing a trap, that could be it.
I was going to have a look at it for a phone number when I came in for the day but I forgot. :)

Six hour shift today, 6:30 - 12:30. Not a sniff from breakwater, flagpole, or Oak Bay flats. Saw no rods bent, no nets waving around. Lots of guys running around from place to place. Considered a run out to Constance, but didn't go. I wonder if we could get a report from there?

Too windy and lumpy this morning to take out the charter I had so after rescheduling them for Saturday I tried the breakwater for an hour before going home. Tough conditions, 3 ft rollers and steady 20km wind. Hooked 4 and landed 2 between the green can and the breakwater. 50 and 60 ft in 85 ft of water. 20 lb wild and a 19 lb hatchery in the boat and gone by 8am. Usual gear, moonjelly flashers and bloody nose dragging 6” anchovies. One red and one white

DFO checked us this morning as well while I was trolling off of Pedder. Checked the gear, fish and licence.

There certainly made their job a lot easier haven't they, closed down near half the territory in the Vic/Sooke fishery makes patrolling it a lot easier. That's what they've done here in Alberta, they've made 99.99 percent of our lakes non retention for the preferred species its the idiots answer to stock preservation and makes for easy monitoring. They just sit at the boat launches and wait, if you have a fish,, well you've broken the law, easy peasy.

DontD break the law. I like the fact that they are checking.
I agree. I am glad they are out there and the guys that stopped us were certainly professional in their approach. Takes 5-10 min of your times, unless you are doing something that you shouldn't be doing. It's also a good opportunity to ask a question about the regs.

Last edited:
Back