2018 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Ill be in Grappler come August for a week. Be fishing everyday and was wondering if there are still any Reds to be had near Bamfield at that time or if the run is over. If so, what rig would you run on a meat pole out the stern?

Ill be in Grappler come August for a week. Be fishing everyday and was wondering if there are still any Reds to be had near Bamfield at that time or if the run is over. If so, what rig would you run on a meat pole out the stern?
Sockeye are likely to close on the 15th of July. Hasn't been a great run this year.

I've been watching the sockeye escapement reports and _if_ I am reading them correctly it looks like Sproat is above historical highs, and Great Central is below. Any thoughts on why there is such a disparity between the two? Last weekend I was paddling around the Sproat river where it comes into the lake and there were healthy amounts of sockeye coming through so I'm curious why the GC fish are missing. If you take the two runs combined things net out right down the fairway of the averages and I'm wondering if loads of GC fish spontaneously decided that Sproat looked more attractive when they hit the confluence.

I've been watching the sockeye escapement reports and _if_ I am reading them correctly it looks like Sproat is above historical highs, and Great Central is below. Any thoughts on why there is such a disparity between the two? Last weekend I was paddling around the Sproat river where it comes into the lake and there were healthy amounts of sockeye coming through so I'm curious why the GC fish are missing. If you take the two runs combined things net out right down the fairway of the averages and I'm wondering if loads of GC fish spontaneously decided that Sproat looked more attractive when they hit the confluence.

Probably has something to do with poor river/lake conditions in the 2015 run in the Stamp.

Hey. Heading up tomorrow for a few days and will be on the far side so probably fish Swale and Lyle point area. I'll keep you posted
So fished Swale yesterday bout an hour after morning tide change. Netted two. One around 12 the other 14lb Purple flasher and anchovie. ''Twas a good couple of hours

Back from 3 days in the sound.
Hardly any boats out there! Cree had lots of guide boats. Pill was a ghost town, I am used to seeing dozens of boats there in mid July.
We came home with a few, none big.
Weather was fantastic.

Shake shake shake! Been out for two days around Barkley Sound and have made my acquitance with around 50 shakers. Great to see a healthy stock, but also wondering what I should do to avoid them and get into bigger fish when the shakers are around. I’ve tried bigger lures, depths, speeds, locations... they are everywhere! Lol

Guess we were lucky last week we fished a few days at beal and diplock areas and only got 2 shakers, we used only anchovies at 30-70 feet. Did catch 6 springs of which we only kept our limit, nothing big just 16,15,12's (oh and one chicken hali lol )

Ok, back from a few days fishing and ready for my full report. Here goes:

Fished Sunday late PM until noon Tuesday.
Total fish to the boat: ~100 shakers. Total kept: 2
All shakers, including the 2 we kept which were nothing to write home about. Usually would have put them back but we needed something to show for our trip.

So, weird trip for us. We've been doing well in Barkley Sound, particularly around Pill and Swale. This trip, however, we could not get _anything_ of substance to the boat. It kept things interesting having shakers on the line the entire time, but the joke wore thin after fish 50.

Here's what we tried:
Locations: Pill, Vernon, Swale, Mears, Cree, Diplock, Gibraltar, Whittlestone, Wall
Lures: Green hoochie, blue hoochie, 3.5-4" versions of sardine spoon, herring aid spoon, green and white spoon, green and chrome spoon, various coho killers, a huge 6" cop car, plugs, herring, anchovies.
Flashers: Green, chartreuse, purple, various UV variants
Depths: 30-200'

We caught fish with every combo of the above, fishing dusk to dawn across multiple tides. Shakers were taking down spoons big enough to be siblings of theirs. We had a double header trolling against the tide into the wind with a hoochie at 180 and a herring aid at 30. These things are everywhere! Tried heading offshore a few times on Monday but it was fairly rough in the early morning, then fog rolled in and put a damper on my radar-less plans.

Very stoked to see such a huge population of the stock, and all were released quickly with the gaff, but holy cow batman, where have the decent sized fish gone? My mojo has failed me. Over the past few weeks we've brought fish up to 28lbs to the boat using versions of the above, but all to no avail this trip.

On the upside (drum roll) I caught my first lingcod! My nemesis, finally in the boat. For those of you following my saga the lingcod has been my eternal foe, always proving elusive. This morning while trolling we picked one up. Then another. Then another. Then another. Only one of significant size, but a nice reprieve from the shakers. Lingcurse broken? Here's hoping.

Undaunted, we will be back out there in the next week or two. Would love to hear how others are avoiding the shakers. Does it involve a priest? Because I'll bring some along if needed.

All in all, an entertaining trip full of sun, wind (and then some more wind), good friends, and entirely too much snack food.

We were at Swale yesterday morning and managed one about 12 lbs, another that was just barely legal and a third that was a good 16-17lbs which we lost right at the boat. We tried everything in the tackle box as well but nothing detoured the endless stream of shakers. The only thing we found was some schools we trolled through seemed to have bigger shakers than others. Once we would start hitting shakers that were a little bigger, we would start doing tight circles back and forth over the same school and eventually managed some big ones !

Last edited:
That's a tough few days Salty. Maybe plugs?
They were hitting plugs too! Hungry monsters. :)

I think Islander30 has it right: just try to put in the time in schools that are looking a bit bigger and hope for the best. Expect the big ones will start showing up soon, so we can think of the shakers as boot camp.

if your catching shaker after shaker , your in the wrong area , or depth !!
move....
try trolling faster as well....if you think your going to fast , Speed it up...
when ya find em , you will know , STAY on em!!
sounds too simple ? but works for us , always find them sooner or later
small offerings still best right now , inshore

m2b

fd

^^^
Agreed, there are definataly bigger fish around, we were at Wya the day before and landed a nice 20 lbs, another about 15 lbs and only the odd shaker....lots of wild coho though. Unfortunatley for me in my light boat my back was killing me the next day so we opted for the calmer waters at Swale. We tried all depths, speeding way up slowing way down and everything in the tackle box, the only thing that got us a couple decent fish was circling back when we started to hit fish that were in the "almost legal" category vs. the shaker category...lol !

Last edited:
if your catching shaker after shaker , your in the wrong area , or depth !!
move....
try trolling faster as well....if you think your going to fast , Speed it up...
when ya find em , you will know , STAY on em!!
sounds too simple ? but works for us , always find them sooner or later
small offerings still best right now , inshore

m2b

fd

Thanks Fog Ducker, will give it a shot when next out. BTW I saw your boat on the ferry a couple months back, but it was before I was active on the forums; your boat name was memorable enough to stick with me. Next time I'll make sure to say hi!

Tough fishing for our crew the past couple days. Shaker city at every stop. Managing a couple fish everyday which are 9-12lbs. But overall slow fishing for legal fish. Back home now looking forward to my next trip!

Hopefully a new wave comes in soon.

Thanks for the reports tips and heads up. Heading up Friday for 3 nights at seabeam.
I'm thinking I'll take the hint from fishTofino.
I'll be between Beale and pachena hunting the big ones. Wind permitting

Back