Can a starter cause your motor to seem seized?

Pull the plugs. hydro locked my dual sport motor bike when i went thru a known “ puddle” that beavers had turned into a lake. motor made the same awful sound your experiencing. pulled the plug and turned over water spewed out and was at least “free”. then spent multiple oil changes getting milky oil out. was good as new. yes different situation but go with the easy and cheap solution first. I like easy and cheap;)

I should also add i have intimate knowledge with the insurance side of things. depends on the wording of your specific policy; but most policies will only cover “sudden and accidental.” so if it can be proven that this was not blatant neglect you should be fine. most marine policies are ridiculously specific and broad in terms of coverage.

Last edited:
I have intimate knowledge with the insurance side of things also. I had the harmonic balancer snap the crankshaft where it attached at the crankshaft. The insurance company sent it to Vancouver to see what caused it and couldn't determine that it was a fault of mine. Took about 8 months till I saw a cheque. I did all the work myself, kept track of all the receipts. Bill came in at 25K. I didn't charge for my labor, but I got what I wanted in a final product with the parts I wanted.
The engine alone for them to replace would have been over 40K. So pretty sure that's why they jumped at my offer of doing the work on my own. May not have been the smartest thing to do but I at least got a superior motor to the one I replaced with the broken crank. (cummins 5.9BTA diesel replaced a mercruiser D4.2L diesel)
I think the d4.2L's are just not designed strong enough where the harmonic balancer attaches to the crank. (small diameter compared with the cummins) Combined with high rpm's of that motor leads to too much stress in that area. Researching on the net I found I wasn't the only person to have that happen, so I was reluctant replacing with a motor I couldn't feel confident with. It was a lot of extra work (machining , fabrication, and electrical)for the retrofit but in my mind was worth it. Another added bonus was the cost of replacement cummins parts to mercruiser also. Night and day difference.

If you strip the threads in the crank using a long bar your going to wish you pulled the plugs. I have had a exhaust seat brake and get lodged under a valve before 351 ford. Also had a s keeper do the same in a 350. So could be hope for you yet

Not sure what out-drive you have but you may want to upgrade to a bravo if your running an alpha... I think it'll bolt up if not mistaken.... might not hurt to find out what the difference would be.
Maybe not worth it if they are just replacing the gears and bearings in the top end. Hopefully there isn't any damage on the bottom end when the top end grenaded. maybe consider a drive shower if your out-drive isn't using one? Those top gears generate alot of heat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bravo-1-2-Smooth-Cap-Low-Profile-Drive-Shower-130-1040-/282960070267

Last edited:
Not sure what out-drive you have but you may want to upgrade to a bravo if your running an alpha... I think it'll bolt up if not mistaken.... might not hurt to find out what the difference would be.
Maybe not worth it if they are just replacing the gears and bearings in the top end. Hopefully there isn't any damage on the bottom end when the top end grenaded. maybe consider a drive shower if your out-drive isn't using one? Those top gears generate alot of heat.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bravo-1-2-Smooth-Cap-Low-Profile-Drive-Shower-130-1040-/282960070267
They'll be replacing the top end and since this is the second time Merc might be offering an upgrade of some sort. Suggested changing the ratio as well

time for a drive shower to cool the top bearing
Now they're saying there was a little wobble in the prop shaft. No damage to the prop though. Takes it off of them and puts it on insurance I guess. Have to pay the deductible but now they'll be replacing the whole leg.

prop shaft has no relation to the top gears, hence the upper and lower units that can be interchanged with other units

prop shaft has no relation to the top gears, hence the upper and lower units that can be interchanged with other units
Service manager says they've run them through insurance this way many times. o_O

If they have to replace the whole leg, I'd look at paying the difference and going bravo... Much stronger gearsets. Consider bravo diesel leg if you want one that'll be pretty much bulletproof for your boat.

If they have to replace the whole leg, I'd look at paying the difference and going bravo... Much stronger gearsets. Consider bravo diesel leg if you want one that'll be pretty much bulletproof for your boat.
Then I could supercharge the 5.0L ;):p

You could drop a Cummins in it.... haha,

I can drag you in your dinghy about 80ft back and you can still fish for sox if you dont get your boat back in time lol

Back