Guided Poaching

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like your uncle is a poacher... Also are you sure the guide did not gift his daily limit to your uncle?

Last edited:
Around my parts we tend to mind our own business and let the neighbour worry about his. He'll get caught eventually I'm sure it's not the first nor last time for him.

A guy from work came back from Tofino two weeks ago and their guide told them to keep 132 cm halibut cause they weren’t catching many fish

these outfits and guides need to be outed, imho. but just make bloody damned sure what you are saying is correct and not hearsay. or as suggested above possibly a gift. but to not out these people is just wrong imho, I don't care who you are trying to protect.

This is a pretty standard story it seems.

yeah i have heard it lots too but it's usually the guide offering up their limit as a gift. Not that i agree with that either

When we were guided out of bamfield we had a guide offer to gift fish to one of our friends that was sea sick and did not go out the next day. we declined but i'm sure many take them up on it.

Recently my uncle was sportfishing with an outfit out of Ucluelet last Thursday and Friday. With heavy northwest winds, they were only able to fish the rocks the first day and ended up with nothing. The second day they made it out to the Big Bank where they loaded up. The ended up keeping their limit from that day and the day before... I cannot for the life of me understand why a guide would choose to kill the possession limit (not a daily limit) in a single day with the spotlight currently on sportfishing in BC. I am extremely choked at how this outfit has operated. As a young sportfishing guide myself I want this industry to succeed but with this nonsense happening, I just don't see it.

Now, do I list the name of this outfit for all to know or not?

Rant over.
That guide should be reported, that is what the RAPP line is for!

Wasn't there a thread on a Guide from Ucluelet/Tofino giving someone hell for an over size hali but it was legal and now this ? Not good PR for guides in that area but again there is always two sides to every story ?

Your uncle let him do this? Part of the poaching is on him, if he didn't want any part of the the illegal activities he could have said no at any time. Did he not understand daily possession limits? Your uncle is just as guilty as the guide, unfortunetly it seems his greed was stronger than his ethics. Using a First Nations guide to poach is a pretty pathetic loophole, he could have stopped the guide at anytime, but he didn’t and went along with it!
The best part about this ,is your uncle will be the one who is charged. DFO will not want to even prosecute the FN band member.
On that note...with the so much money and time put into west coast trips and only so.many days being able to get to the hali grounds. Make it a daily limit of 2 hali a day with a possession limit of 2.

Last edited:
Same thing used to happen when I fished salmon in the Shuswap river. There was an old timer there who was an ace fisherman. Never kept a thing but would let anybody with a tag keep his fish. There was a thread started about “gifting fish” somewhere. Maybe on that “other” fishing site?

It's not uncommon... oops rustled some jimmies.

TLDR; Lots of people of poach. Guides poach, your neighbor does, your father in law, etc...

Last edited:
It's not uncommon... oops rustled some jimmies.

TLDR; Lots of people of poach. Guides poach, your neighbor does, your father in law, etc...
... are you trolling?
Poaching just provides more ammunition to those that would like to see sport fishing end. When you see it, report it. If you can't play by the rules, don't play the game.

... are you trolling?
Poaching just provides more ammunition to those that would like to see sport fishing end. When you see it, report it. If you can't play by the rules, don't play the game.

Agreed it's horrible, but it's happening. I know of a few members of this forum guilty of poaching as well.

Your uncle let him do this? Part of the poaching is on him, if he didn't want any part of the the illegal activities he could have said no at any time. Did he not understand daily possession limits? Your uncle is just as guilty as the guide, unfortunetly it seems his greed was stronger than his ethics. Using a First Nations guide to poach is a pretty pathetic loophole, he could have stopped the guide at anytime, but he didn’t and went along with it!
The best part about this ,is your uncle will be the one who is charged. DFO will not want to even prosecute the FN band member.
On that note...with the so much money and time put into west coast trips and only so.many days being able to get to the hali grounds. Make it a daily limit of 2 hali a day with a possession limit of 2.
YES! I'm sure your uncle didn't complain too much about the extra fish to take home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back