Action Required - Potential Fin FIsh Closure from Long Beach to Swiftsure for SRKW

Heard from Bob G in Renfrew that we dodged the bullet for this year, if that is correct then lets hammer away at those pricks all winter long because you know Suziki and Raincoast and GSA will be ramping up there ****

Figured I would have a read through of the Killer whale recovery strategy again to try and understand a little more about the direction this plan is (has) headed. Of note is page 67 in which limited prey availability is solely credited to fishing and no other variables (ie: mammal predation). Take note that this table uses a descriptor of "likely cause".
Then I noted on pg 89 and 90 that the makeup of the recovery team includes 2 Raincoast Conservation society members and 2 whale watching community members, but NO commercial or recreational fishing groups or their representatives. 25% of the team however consists of DFO reps.

It is plain to see DFO does not accept the public consultation process in this matter, and without representation in the Killer Whale Recovery Strategy team BC fishermen will always have the target painted on their backs.
I am greatly concerned the exclusion of recreational and commercial fishing representation is deliberate.

Received a reply from Elizabeth May and these are not her exact words unless in quotes;

Says, “although the restrictions seem expansive, it is a precautionary move mitigate a crisis”. Not a long term solution, but for now she agrees with it.

She agrees with my point regarding a total fin fish closure and“will ask the Minister if recreational fishing for species other than Chinook, should not be exempted”.

Agrees we need better controls, and potentially a ban on whale watching.

Wants to eliminate tanker traffic ( no surprise) and open net fish pens.

While a lot of this is simply doublespeak, at least she took the time to write back. How’s everyone else making out on getting replies. I will be following up with another letter to clarify some points with her.

Yup. Sad truth is most of the recreational activities in their communities has just become white noise. No one will notice until it stops.

I can tell you it is effecting sooke BIG time ill give you a few things to ponder ... July 1 on a sunday 2 guide boats myself and 1 other counted 22 boats from trap to otter and kayak guy had NO business the whole day NONE . 1 week later same 2 guides out again on the sunday 16 charter boats sitting at dock ...marinas are basically empty resort says they are way down too I personally have had 9 trips cancelled because of these so called "measures" which is a ton of revenue june sucked id say im down probably 25 % in business after 6 awesome years!!!!!! and yet the whales still haven't visited muir or otter point yet ( GUESS THE WHALES DIDNT GET MEMO!!!) they wanted 25 to 35 % reduction id say they achieved that ten fold id say more like 65 %.

Time to get out of the business cant justify it anymore....

I can tell you it is effecting sooke BIG time ill give you a few things to ponder ... July 1 on a sunday 2 guide boats myself and 1 other counted 22 boats from trap to otter and kayak guy had NO business the whole day NONE . 1 week later same 2 guides out again on the sunday 16 charter boats sitting at dock ...marinas are basically empty resort says they are way down too I personally have had 9 trips cancelled because of these so called "measures" which is a ton of revenue june sucked id say im down probably 25 % in business after 6 awesome years!!!!!! and yet the whales still haven't visited muir or otter point yet ( GUESS THE WHALES DIDNT GET MEMO!!!) they wanted 25 to 35 % reduction id say they achieved that ten fold id say more like 65 %.

The local guides after the season is done, should get together and tabulate how much money compared to last year they have lost, How many less guests they have and put a figure to it. Then send it everywhere. Maybe get the local marinas and hotels to calculate their losses as well.

If it is bad as you say it is, If you are able to show that its a huge economic loss you will get lots of attention.

Sorry to say but going to Sooke is not high on my lists now, It used to be on the top mainly do to the easy access, paved roads, close to victoria and most importantly the amazing fishing opportunities with great access to a lot of passing stocks. Columbia hog and Fraser hogs numbers are crashing. Sockeye and coho and pink access is very limited. If you would of asked me 15 years ago where i would like to retire Sooke would of been number 1.

I also heard from some vancouver guides that their bookings were down because some of there long time guests heard that chinook salmon fishing was closed in BC on international news in the states.

So it seems the press has put out a lot of negative news and also not completely factual about the closures

it would also be interesting to hear if any guides in other areas booking are up?

Yes its definitely rough out in Sooke right now I would say 1/2 the boats I see and even a weekend. Most just aren't going. The thing is fishing right now is excellent despite the restriction. Sad really. Imagine what Pender is like?

Man, I feel so bad for you and your Family. Such an utter **** show that affects real people. These clowns live in a fantasy land with no idea that their actions have real consequences.

Hopefully this works out for you in the end.

I definitely didnt sugar coat it . it is that bad only good is fishing is good and less boats is kinda nice .... BUT its sad to see so few out and worse is I go to otter and look at the prime area I USED to fish to know ill probally never be able to again , I used to take my nephew there to fish he is now 10 and he reeled in his first fish at 3 , the family would stand and Gordons beach so he could see them from the boat... now its gone....

Gotta agree with Wolf i have many friends that charter in Sooke and they are scared of what the future holds. I live on the ocean in Jordan River, have not seen the whales here yet this year. Actually had ole Misty from the Raincoast Society answer one of my emails, told me the whales are hanging out north of me, so there ya go they are in the hills of Jordan River, oh and she made an arrogant remark that they have big black dorsal fins so i would know what to look for, what an arrogant POS. Only seen the chaser boats twice so far and they have been coming back from the west, transients were out in Renfrew, whale watcher said they have not seen the SRKW's there yet. Funny the most sightings have been in the areas where there are boaters, hhmmm maybe they like the boat noise

Looks like a cabinet shake-up in Ottawa today.
  • Vancouver MP Jonathan Wilkinson becomes minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard.
  • Pablo Rodriguez, who was serving as chief government whip, becomes minister of heritage and multiculturalism.
Ministers with new or changed duties:

• Dominic LeBlanc moves from Fisheries and Oceans to Intergovernmental Affairs, Northern Affairs and Internal Trade.

I am just reading this morning, but it isn't good news. No background in fisheries. He used to be the CEO of Questair Technologies which was favorite of David Suzuki. That company used to was owned in part to Ballard Systems. His experience is primarily with Green high tech. Ballard also had a very good relationship with David Suzuki and many of the NGO groups.

From the web on article:

The Ballard fuel cell holds great promise as an energy source for the ecological millennium. It's a fascinating and inspiring story." — Dr. David Suzuki, Biologist

This isn't good and now I am worried.

• Vancouver MP Jonathan Wilkinson becomes minister of fisheries, oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard.
  • Pablo Rodriguez, who was serving as chief government whip, becomes minister of heritage and multiculturalism.
Ministers with new or changed duties:

• Dominic LeBlanc moves from Fisheries and Oceans to Intergovernmental Affairs, Northern Affairs and Internal Trade.
That's good news to hear Westcoast Fisheries Minister. I know he has been active on the salmon farm front. Let's get his ear quickly!

In my opinion having a Fisheries Minister from BC is a heck of lot better. Now we have to get his attention and bring him up to speed on this issue.

If you look at the narrow picture it does. I am saying well we perceive it looks good we have to beware of the connection to the environmental groups. That is all I am saying. I personally believe and its only my opinion he is placed so he could negotiate with groups against us on what is coming, and strategically be put in place to push through the pipeline. I am going to wait and see but I dont think it is a good thing yet. Could be bad.

We had David Anderson as fisheries minister and he wasn't good either.

If you look at the narrow picture it does. I am saying well we perceive it looks good we have to beware of the connection to the environmental groups. That is all I am saying. I personally believe and its only my opinion he is placed so he could negotiate with groups against us on what is coming, and strategically be put in place to push through the pipeline. I am going to wait and see but I dont think it is a good thing yet. Could be bad.

We had David Anderson as fisheries minister and he wasn't good either.
Well you can sit back ***** about the past or you can try get his attention and bring up the issue! It lots easier to do when they're in the same province as opposed to other side of the country like LeBlanc was.

Here’s Jonathan Wilkinson office phone number and email if you wanted to call raising your concerns about the SKRW closures:

Jonathan Wilkinson

Jonathan.Wilkinson@parl.gc.ca

Back