2018 Winter Harbour Reports

You can get shaved ice at the old qualicum rivers ice plant. $20 for a big cooler. There’s a bell to ring. Or else you can get it in Port Hardy. Where are you staying up there??
Qualicum rivers is shut down, as there building is condemned. Unless things have changed since June. But the outpost has bagged ice.

Well the days are clicking away and I'm getting excited about making the trip up the WH on the 28th, for 6 days. Am of course hoping for fare weather and seas. But will take what we get. Looking forward to just being there for the first time and getting our fish on! 24' Black North River ( SeaLovers) come say hello if your there.
Be there then as well - 21 ' centre console "Rather Be...…"

I'm headed up on the first so if i understand correctly you can still get shaved ice at the qualicum river dock .
That will save a lot of running around

headed up there again myself on Aug 5th for a week...... staying at a new place... hoping the salmon are still around.

Qualicum rivers is shut down, as there building is condemned. Unless things have changed since June. But the outpost has bagged ice.

News to me about being condemned :). I closed the main part of the resort this year due to a few factors - the reduction in halibut and yellow-eye for 2018 (trying not to do the experimental license), uncertainty in future fisheries (MPA's, Chinook closures, Halibut reductions for 2019 and beyond and Yellow-Eye issues), food and labour costs (food was more than my fuel bill last year), and quite honestly, I needed a change LOL. I have been doing this most of my life, so it is time to go in a different direction and away from the larger, all-inclusive lodge atmosphere. We are still guiding in the harbour, through The Outpost with their two suites and with day charters, I still have my 5 larger boats - just playing the waiting game to see what the next 18 months hold (MPA rulings and federal election will be done then). Shoring up the bow of the barge will get done this year, just not sure if I want to do the whole frame and make it level, or just do the ends so the slope doesn't increase, either way I will be throwing money away if we can't fish up here.

If the fishing stabilizes, I plan on renovating the 12 guest rooms into 6 two-bedroom suites with full kitchens. I don't think I will ever open up the commercial kitchen again, the guests needs have changed - more self-reliant charter guests and BYOB types who don't mind not having things catered to them with respect to meals and such.

So, yes I do have flaked ice (I leave out the brine, as we use it for packing fillets as well), also freezer space if needed. Just ring the door bell if you do not see me on the lower deck.

Short Fishing Report: Chinook are in and out, some days you get on them for a couple of hours, then nothing the next. Having a hard time this last week looking for the springs on the outside, NW winds have been steady - looking for a bit of rain to cool things down, but that isn't in the forecast. Lots of Coho around the inside this last couple of days, inshore bait fish is about 2" in length, so spoons have been doing well. Halibut and Ling cod are normal (getting the small hali's are always an issue here, kind of a bonus fish). Don't forget a descending device, you will absolutely need one.

Regards,

Fishyboy (R0b K).

News to me about being condemned :). I closed the main part of the resort this year due to a few factors - the reduction in halibut and yellow-eye for 2018 (trying not to do the experimental license), uncertainty in future fisheries (MPA's, Chinook closures, Halibut reductions for 2019 and beyond and Yellow-Eye issues), food and labour costs (food was more than my fuel bill last year), and quite honestly, I needed a change LOL. I have been doing this most of my life, so it is time to go in a different direction and away from the larger, all-inclusive lodge atmosphere. We are still guiding in the harbour, through The Outpost with their two suites and with day charters, I still have my 5 larger boats - just playing the waiting game to see what the next 18 months hold (MPA rulings and federal election will be done then). Shoring up the bow of the barge will get done this year, just not sure if I want to do the whole frame and make it level, or just do the ends so the slope doesn't increase, either way I will be throwing money away if we can't fish up here.

If the fishing stabilizes, I plan on renovating the 12 guest rooms into 6 two-bedroom suites with full kitchens. I don't think I will ever open up the commercial kitchen again, the guests needs have changed - more self-reliant charter guests and BYOB types who don't mind not having things catered to them with respect to meals and such.

So, yes I do have flaked ice (I leave out the brine, as we use it for packing fillets as well), also freezer space if needed. Just ring the door bell if you do not see me on the lower deck.

Short Fishing Report: Chinook are in and out, some days you get on them for a couple of hours, then nothing the next. Having a hard time this last week looking for the springs on the outside, NW winds have been steady - looking for a bit of rain to cool things down, but that isn't in the forecast. Lots of Coho around the inside this last couple of days, inshore bait fish is about 2" in length, so spoons have been doing well. Halibut and Ling cod are normal (getting the small hali's are always an issue here, kind of a bonus fish). Don't forget a descending device, you will absolutely need one.

Regards,

Fishyboy (R0b K).
I commiserate with you regarding the uncertainty in the future of our fishery.

Regards,

Fishyboy (R0b K).
Thanks for the clarification, as well as the report fishboy! See you late August.

Regards,

Fishyboy (R0b K).
Thanks Rob, its always good to hear that your own place isn't condemned . Ill save the weight coming out and get ice for the trip back then. I will be taking you up on freezer space too and leave the dry ice at home. Thanks Respectfully Norman Oliver

Thanks for the info guys. I'm heading up there for the last week of August to give a go for the first time. Don't have a big boat so I'll be playing it cautious but still hoping I can get into a few. Will definitely report.

Heading up there tomorrow afternoon for a weeks fishing. Staying in Quatsino. Hoping the winds die down a bit. We will be in an aluminun 30 ft Wolffe boat with wine a coloured awning. I'll report back after our trip as we don't have internet.

2 more weeks and I will be up there again.... never been there this time of year.... is there anyone who has an idea as to how the fishery is early August? taking three "first timers"... so really hoping to show them an amazing experience.

2 more weeks and I will be up there again.... never been there this time of year.... is there anyone who has an idea as to how the fishery is early August? taking three "first timers"... so really hoping to show them an amazing experience.
Should be really good based on several trips I have had there in this time frame. Usually lots of cohos around and this generates tons of action. The bottom fishing is also still very good if the weather cooperates.

Should be really good based on several trips I have had there in this time frame. Usually lots of cohos around and this generates tons of action. The bottom fishing is also still very good if the weather cooperates.
Thanks! I have only been up there first week of June..... usually big water... hoping it lays down a bit..... and the salmon always seem to start coming in as we are leaving..... but we do it based on accommodation availability.... hopefully this time frame will be awesome!

We are heading up on July 25 for 5 days and were wondering if anyone has an up to date report?

Hey guy's

We got back last weekend from WH, Coho fishing was great with plenty of big guys out there. Springs where extremely difficult to find. We managed 2 the whole week and we fished pretty much everywhere. Bottom fishing as usual didn't disappoint, but watch the winds they really blow up after noon or so. Hopefully some springs show for you guy's.

Hey guy's

We got back last weekend from WH, Coho fishing was great with plenty of big guys out there. Springs where extremely difficult to find. We managed 2 the whole week and we fished pretty much everywhere. Bottom fishing as usual didn't disappoint, but watch the winds they really blow up after noon or so. Hopefully some springs show for you guy's.
thanks Marty, I'll post a report when I get back!

Back