Was dead calm and saw little fingerlings jumping beside the boat. The stomachs of the fish we caught were empty. Bite came on just when flood started. All the crap was being pushed into the Trap area. Lots of weed.
Thanks, I thought your sounder was so good it could measure bait!

Went out for the night bite yesterday. Fishing is pretty good right now. Started at the Trap and landed a 10 lbs, then lost another fish when the hook broke off the coyote spoon, and lost another in the teens at the boat. Moved to the Head where a I caught and released a wild spring over 20 lbs and finished off with another 10 lbs spring. I was surprised how few boats were out on such a beautiful night, though the wind picked up in the end.

Another beautiful day so decided to give it another shot today. Tried the Bluffs, Harbour mouth and Possession from 6:30am until 2:00pm. Trolled around in the fog for the first 3 hours and nothing happened. Then around 10am had a good hit on anchovy at 66’ again and brought a nice one to the net after two runs. Sadly we again messed up like the first one two days ago and the teaser head was in the net but not the fish! LOL. :(

In the next hour had another hit that was long distance release, then two little guys that sprung loose near the boat, then a shaker and it went quiet. I thought it was all over by 11:30am and I had run out of anchovies so I put on a little 3” herring from my several times thawed and refrozen zip lock bag. At 12:15pm out of nowhere we had another huge hit on the herring at 66’ and the fish set off on a nice run. We decided to switch tactics and my wife took the rod and played the feisty fish and I wielded the net. This time there was no mistake and we boated a beauty 17lb fish.

I attach a photo of my wife with the fish to prove that the Luck of the English has returned (temporarily at least!!) LOL:)

P1280817C.jpg

Last edited:
Fished wed night 5 till 8, nothing in close to possession went out deeper off secretary, small shaker than the good one 85' on rigger in 200 ish feet water. Wild just under the 85 cm limit - short but thick ! Bunch of other small ones after, and one other screamer that was gone right away.
View attachment 38882
how Much would an 85cm Spring weigh?

Somewhere in that neighbourhood. Could be a few more or less depending on the thickness of the fish.

Was dead calm and saw little fingerlings jumping beside the boat. The stomachs of the fish we caught were empty. Bite came on just when flood started. All the crap was being pushed into the Trap area. Lots of weed.

This is a fishing report forum, not a Grateful Dead fan club :D

how Much would an 85cm Spring weigh?
in rangers derby last week we had one come in at 84 cm and it was 21.35 lbs but it was a fat fish, the other one was 82 cm and 19,66 lbs..Fishing has been consistent , and better then any July ive seen in a long time only down fall shakers and a bit of weed this week (huge tides) . Hell if Roland can find them it must be good (sorry bud had to) LOL
94855@2x.png

Launched the boat out of Cheanuh at 5:00 AM. The main engine has some issues but decided to putter out to aldridge and try a few tacks on the kicker. Hooked an undersized at 70 on a anchovie at 6:00am. Threw it back and put the line back down. Got into some serious current near the head and had a light touch on the SB rod. Set the hook and landed a 85cm on the nose 20LB spring. Hatchery red. Got one more just off Frazer Island on the way back in about 8 lbs at 11:00 am. Happy we did not put the boat back on the trailer in the morning. Nice day in Sooke!

Fished Pedder with a buddy on Saturday. 7am with the lines in the water for 5-min we had a double hook up. My buddy landed a 6lb wild and I lost a high teener at the boat while I was waiting for the net. My buddy landed a 12lb hatch and I lost 2 more. Gonna have to get him to land my fish for me. AND to cap off my day I go to check my trap on the way in and nowhere to be found. Hate to think that anyone was miserable enough to take it but maybe someone needed it more than me.

Another stunning day weather wise on the water. No fog, flat calm and looking like the South Pacific out there!! Fished Harbour Mouth, Possession and Secretary 6:30am until 2:30pm today. Could have stayed in bed until much later as absolutely nothing happened until 11:00am. Then we began to get small hits most of which we missed and we retrieved shredded baits or anchovies with tails missing. Finally managed to contact a couple but they mostly came off except for one small 5lb fish into the boat. By now most of the morning crowd had left, and we had nothing more till 12:15pm then we got a big hit at 66’ pretty near where we got the 17lb fish three days ago. Two good runs and we finally got it back near the boat when he flipped the hook. Decent teener I would say. 20 minutes later we had another hit on 3” herring this time, same depth, which seemed a good fish and fought well but turned into a long distance release. We thought it was not going to be our day! :(

Several passes later it was 2:15pm and we were on the last of our final two passes of the day. The tide was now flooding quite strongly, yet we got a big hit on 3” herring again, in exactly the same spot as the first one we lost today. Two great runs again and this time we got the fish into the net wielded by my wife. He went 18lb and was 83cm long, so pretty near the limit.

This time I attach a picture of me with the fish. The fish has a healed scar on the side facing the camera. Avoided a seal but fooled by a little herring!
18lbchin20180716C.jpg

Off of pedder with my grandson this morning from 7am to noon. Not a sniff. Only 5 or 6 boats in the area and didn’t see any landed. Beauty of a day on the water.

Took last two trips into consideration where we didn't get a bite before 10 a.m. and slept in. Dropped the lines at 10 at Beechy Head and at 10:15 had first fish in the boat. Beauty 20 lb (85cm) caught on anchovy (Betsy combo) @50'. 10:30 second fish (16lb) caught on green/white coho killer that was slaying them last Thurs. That was it til 2:30 except for a bunch of shakers.
Sof & Lar 20 & 16.png

Another stunning day weather wise on the water. No fog, flat calm and looking like the South Pacific out there!! Fished Harbour Mouth, Possession and Secretary 6:30am until 2:30pm today. Could have stayed in bed until much later as absolutely nothing happened until 11:00am. Then we began to get small hits most of which we missed and we retrieved shredded baits or anchovies with tails missing. Finally managed to contact a couple but they mostly came off except for one small 5lb fish into the boat. By now most of the morning crowd had left, and we had nothing more till 12:15pm then we got a big hit at 66’ pretty near where we got the 17lb fish three days ago. Two good runs and we finally got it back near the boat when he flipped the hook. Decent teener I would say. 20 minutes later we had another hit on 3” herring this time, same depth, which seemed a good fish and fought well but turned into a long distance release. We thought it was not going to be our day! :(

Several passes later it was 2:15pm and we were on the last of our final two passes of the day. The tide was now flooding quite strongly, yet we got a big hit on 3” herring again, in exactly the same spot as the first one we lost today. Two great runs again and this time we got the fish into the net wielded by my wife. He went 18lb and was 83cm long, so pretty near the limit.

This time I attach a picture of me with the fish. The fish has a healed scar on the side facing the camera. Avoided a seal but fooled by a little herring!
View attachment 39002[/QUOTE

You are a lucky man Englishman...not many wives would lean out to net a fish standing on the swim grid...thumbs up to her!

Lines in at the Trap by 5 this AM, shakers until 6 then done by 6:30. One on bait, one on a herring spoon. Home before my partner was out of bed.
T2

Attachments

• 62621F6D-2786-4CAC-A511-89600CC0B8A6.jpeg
    62621F6D-2786-4CAC-A511-89600CC0B8A6.jpeg
    181.4 KB · Views: 111
Back