trolling without a downrigger?

Has anybody trolled an in-line spinner up high for coho’s? I had the most success in my trout days fishing spinners over spoons because you can tip the spinner with a piece of bait.
in-line spinner in front of a bucktail in the prop wash can be magic for Coho!

Apologies for the delay

20180706_1427291_zpso8ogjate.jpg

'Bucktails' of various configurations it's all about the two little spinner blades after that the white colour seems to attract the best- fished right on top where the bubbles from the motor run out.

Last edited:
Perfect! One of those will be at the end of my rod very soon. Does it naturally get down below the surface at all? Even a few inches? I figure the blades will need to be submerged to spin properly.

i run downrigger both sides for springs...or ?
and then a very light line with 6 ounce weight and 8 ft leader to one of my commie coho spoons , like a manistee or p1a...
30-50 pulls out back in center and it produces a few coho ....
which reminds me to have a locker sale soon and sell and clean out the hundreds of spoons and plugs.

If it's rough you can use a 1/2 ounce kidney weight 6' in front but often it's just how you adjust your rod in the holder-or in your hand.

Apologies for the delay

20180706_1427291_zpso8ogjate.jpg

'Bucktails' of various configurations it's all about the two little spinner blades after that the white colour seems to attract the best- fished right on top where the bubbles from the motor run out.
Some people do this with an 8/9 weight fly rod.

Perfect! One of those will be at the end of my rod very soon. Does it naturally get down below the surface at all? Even a few inches? I figure the blades will need to be submerged to spin properly.
It really doesn't need to get down. I have had Cohoes grab it while it's skipping on the surface! that's what makes this style of fishing very exciting!

We use a jet diver out the back with no flasher and use a cut plug small herring or a helmet chovie. 70 ft back gets you 18 to 30 ft down. It’s far enough back to not tangle in the downriggers, But it needs to come in if you slam a big springer on either downrigger

This year ECVI is an exceptionally great opportunity to experience fishing old school style. Many anglers have been trained over time to fish way too deep, in turn missing many shallow running salmon. Back in the day we used mooching sinkers, keel and slip sinkers as well as ball sinkers attached to a wire line rod and reel set ups. Then came the dive plainer boards and then not much longer in the 70's the downrigger(game changer) entered the scene. I often fish without the use of a downrigger while fishing plugs and spoons. Its not even on my mind to fish bucktails however I remember countless interceptions while skimming the surface just at the edge of the prop wash. This year ECVI is a great year to accomplish OG fishing tactics...maybe even get all sportsman like and load up your reel with 12 or 15 lbs test line. Give'er. :)
You’ve been posting some good stuff buddy. Ps your new profile pic is pretty awesome!

Back