Can a starter cause your motor to seem seized?

Plugs out? And engine in neutral? Should spin easily.

I hope you're doing it this way. I don't know how long your wrench is but if it's too short, you won't be able to turn it over when the cylinder is building pressure during it's compression stroke.

@1marko @trophy fisher @Rayvon @Filletandrelease @noluck @Clint r @Foxsea
Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm going to just pull it and have it looked at ASAP. Next question, does insurance cover this sort of thing? I've heard of guys claiming wrecked motors purely pooched from neglect. I find it hard to believe. The last thing I wanted to ask is how the hell does something like this just happen out of the blue??? The motor was running great. There was zero warning. I did do the heads a few years back because of a blown valve. I've been on top of maintenance ever since and like I said it ran really well.

Some insurance policies will cover engines. Our policy is with Navis Marine and they will cover this sort of thing. You need to clearly document the maintenance you've done and show you are working to the manufacturers schedule. I've not had to use it, but a friend did in his sailboat (it actually convinced me to switch policies). He had a raw water pump fail, overheated his engine and cracked the block. Was able to show the insurance company that he had the pump serviced earlier in the year, and they covered the cost of a replacement engine.

In terms of how it happens.... marine engines simply work very hard -- much much harder than the engine in your car given they are running at higher RPMs and in a corrosive environment. Because of the higher workload, heat and stress minor issues tend to compound.

BTW - check your engine oil to see if it's white/creamy. It's possible you had a riser or manifold let go letting sea water into your engine. The risers on saltwater boats need to be replaced roughly every 3-5 years as it's where salt water mixes with exhaust.

Some insurance policies will cover engines. Our policy is with Navis Marine and they will cover this sort of thing. You need to clearly document the maintenance you've done and show you are working to the manufacturers schedule. I've not had to use it, but a friend did in his sailboat (it actually convinced me to switch policies). He had a raw water pump fail, overheated his engine and cracked the block. Was able to show the insurance company that he had the pump serviced earlier in the year, and they covered the cost of a replacement engine.

In terms of how it happens.... marine engines simply work very hard -- much much harder than the engine in your car given they are running at higher RPMs and in a corrosive environment. Because of the higher workload, heat and stress minor issues tend to compound.

BTW - check your engine oil to see if it's white/creamy. It's possible you had a riser or manifold let go letting sea water into your engine. The risers on saltwater boats need to be replaced roughly every 3-5 years as it's where salt water mixes with exhaust.
Thanks.

Oil looked good.

As mentioned by TenMile unless you are checking your risers yearly you are not doing full maint - the statement about car engines in boats is also VERY true.
Some of the newer marinized car gas engines have fresh water cooled exhausts. With replaced heads, sounds like an older engine.

As mentioned by TenMile unless you are checking your risers yearly you are not doing full maint - the statement about car engines in boats is also VERY true.
Some of the newer marinized car gas engines have fresh water cooled exhausts. With replaced heads, sounds like an older engine.
I had the cooling system taken apart and flushed last fall. It looked surprisingly good the guy said.

The motor definitely wasn't making oil. The oil actually looked REALLY good considering the runs I've made across this winter. Gear oil was fine too.
I hope you're doing it this way. I don't know how long your wrench is but if it's too short, you won't be able to turn it over when the cylinder is building pressure during it's compression stroke.
I didn't have a plug out but I'm assuming by in Neutral that means just don't put it in gear right? Straight up on the throttle. I'm going to head back to the marina with a bigger bar this afternoon and remove a plug.

Straight up on the throttle. I'm going to head back to the marina with a bigger bar this afternoon and remove a plug.
To be clear, remove all 8 plugs to relieve compression.

To be clear, remove all 8 plugs to relieve compression.
Much clearer now thank you.
:confused::)

Everyone did say "plugs". I'm not why I enterpreted it as one. Selective hearing perhaps, I've changed the plugs a couple times and didn't much enjoy it lol.

All plugs out will assure you the engine isn’t hydro locked ( one or more cylinders filled with water...).
Try turning the engine over with all sparplugs removed.
I too hate removing my plugs. Two of them are a pain in the butt!

All plugs out will assure you the engine isn’t hydro locked ( one or more cylinders filled with water...).
Try turning the engine over with all sparplugs removed.
I too hate removing my plugs. Two of them are a pain in the butt!
Right?! 4 are easy 2 are so so and two are a BIAWTCH.

Your insurance may cover it. depends on the circumstance and the insurance policy. read your policy. It's amazing what some marine insurance policy's will cover. Often they will cover what seems to be neglect and poor routine maintenance. also can depend a bit on the insurance adjuster. Let us know what you find out and google marine engine insurance claim and you will be surprised by what has been covered in the past.
This seems like it may have been something that was beyond your control. If the engine had overheated and failed it's possible that it would be covered. Were the temps normal when this happened? Also, engine hours can sometimes reflect on how an adjuster will look at your situation.

May take awhile. A friend of mine waited half a year for his insurance to buck up.

Your insurance may cover it. depends on the circumstance and the insurance policy. read your policy. It's amazing what some marine insurance policy's will cover. Often they will cover what seems to be neglect and poor routine maintenance. also can depend a bit on the insurance adjuster. Let us know what you find out and google marine engine insurance claim and you will be surprised by what has been covered in the past.
This seems like it may have been something that was beyond your control. If the engine had overheated and failed it's possible that it would be covered. Were the temps normal when this happened? Also, engine hours can sometimes reflect on how an adjuster will look at your situation.
Motor has 1050 hours on it. I bought it at around 500 4 years ago. Didn't seem like the previous owner took very good care of it. Cooling system seemed to be working fine. It used to overheat a little before I flushed out the system. The only odd thing with the cooling system is that when it does get hot and burps over into the overflow bottle it never draws back in. Apparently that's normal?
May take awhile. A friend of mine waited half a year for his insurance to buck up.
I'd just as soon pay out of pocket for the repairs and get some fishing in before the kid comes. I'm told my life is over after that lol.

I'd just as soon pay out of pocket for the repairs and get some fishing in before the kid comes. I'm told my life is over after that lol.[/QUOTE]

Lol I have 3 kids, 2,4,6 years of age. They have all been on the boat since around 6 months old. My two oldest love to fish and can stay on the boat for 12+ hours if I pack correctly, snacks and things to do between bites.

I will admit, we have slow down a lot in terms of fishing, but it's not over lol. The biggest issue was convincing my wife the kids could handle a long day, but my sun up to sun down long days have disappeared .... For now. I recently sold the boat to get a bigger one to better suit the family needs. I expect to spend a lot more time on the water this coming winter and into 2019.

As far a the engine issue, that sucks, maybe time to upgrade to a 5.7 MPI or maybe a pod and outboard??

Good luck with the repair. Let us know what the failure is.

Cheers

Update:

Now I know you guys said take the plugs out. I had a credible source tell me that with a good size bar it should turn whether you take the plugs out or not. I'm sorry I'm being that guy. Got a 1" pipe from the shop 3' long and the thing doesn't budge.

Another thing I've noticed is that when I do try and turn the key it seems as though the starter is trying to turn the motor counterclockwise. I'm trying to turn the motor clockwise with the bar. Is there some kind of voodoo to starters I don't know about?

Motor has 1050 hours on it. I bought it at around 500 4 years ago. Didn't seem like the previous owner took very good care of it. Cooling system seemed to be working fine. It used to overheat a little before I flushed out the system. The only odd thing with the cooling system is that when it does get hot and burps over into the overflow bottle it never draws back in. Apparently that's normal?

I'd just as soon pay out of pocket for the repairs and get some fishing in before the kid comes. I'm told my life is over after that lol.

Yeah pretty much lol. I've fished only a few times since my daughter was born

Pull the plugs. It could be hydro locked with water. Timing chain could have broke. Pull the cap off the distrubutor and check for the rotor turning. Check for a new vent hole in the side. Maybe leave the wires hooked up to the starter but unbolt it and see if it is at least spinning fast. Doesn't sound good. 5.0l in that boat would be working hard. Step up time. 5.7 mpi

Back