2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Just leaving Critter. Inside has turned on. Think its starting. Got our limits at the Can yesterday in some ugly weather in the morning. Lots of bait balls 8 miles off shore where there were also lots of fish. Follow the birds. Great week. Lots of sun but offshore blew pretty well every day. The Springs we caught were all on chovy again at 37-60 feet. Betsy worked well but this blue chovy holder I use killed yesterday. Biggest was 27lbs. No Hali because it wasn't calm enough for us although others were out daily. Critter Cove did a great job as usual with their hospitality. Good luck out there guys. I'm done for year unless we do a Sept Coho trip.

Last edited:
3 more sleeps till we will be at critter. Can't wait....first time. Anybody else going to be there then?

I am headed back up in a week from today. Sounds like things are starting to turn on, hopefully the wind dies down off shore.

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Nootka. We fished Burdwood, Washer Rock, the lighthouse, beano creek and camel rock. Didnt find anything out at Beano but hit some fish at all the other spots. We fished Camel Rock each night for the night bite and it was slow until Saturday when some fish came in there. Got 3 nice springs sat night and 2 more Sunday morning, 14-24 pounds, 60 ft. The best fishing was at Burdwood though and the best bite was midway between tides. Overall we ended up with 14 springs and 3 coho one of which was about 10 lbs. Our biggest spring was 30LBS. the wind blew up every day pretty good so we did not go offshore for ground fish. Tried some prawning and it was the worst i have seen it in 20 years out there. Tried a few different spots as well. overall a really fun trip and we are heading back out July 28th for a few days.

Just got back from a 4 day trip to Nootka. We fished Burdwood, Washer Rock, the lighthouse, beano creek and camel rock. Didnt find anything out at Beano but hit some fish at all the other spots. We fished Camel Rock each night for the night bite and it was slow until Saturday when some fish came in there. Got 3 nice springs sat night and 2 more Sunday morning, 14-24 pounds, 60 ft. The best fishing was at Burdwood though and the best bite was midway between tides. Overall we ended up with 14 springs and 3 coho one of which was about 10 lbs. Our biggest spring was 30LBS. the wind blew up every day pretty good so we did not go offshore for ground fish. Tried some prawning and it was the worst i have seen it in 20 years out there. Tried a few different spots as well. overall a really fun trip and we are heading back out July 28th for a few days.

If you don't mind, will you share your lure/bait info? I'll be up in 6 days. Thanks

Howard

We tried a variety of things. we got a few on a white hoochie, used a few different spoons which got the majority of the fish. Tried anchovies as that is my normal go to but it seemed the spoons produced better. there are also lots of shakers all over the place so sticking with bait would have been expensive. wonderbread colors worked the best for us. One note is that there was lots of bait all over the place but it was all very small. the small lures out performed the larger ones for sure. We got the 30LBer on a 3" spoon

We tried a variety of things. we got a few on a white hoochie, used a few different spoons which got the majority of the fish. Tried anchovies as that is my normal go to but it seemed the spoons produced better. there are also lots of shakers all over the place so sticking with bait would have been expensive. wonderbread colors worked the best for us. One note is that there was lots of bait all over the place but it was all very small. the small lures out performed the larger ones for sure. We got the 30LBer on a 3" spoon

thank you!!

they have medium ones and large ones both. They normally have a good selection. Gone Fishin in courtenay only had the massive ones left. i would suggest get the smallest ones you can based on the bait size out there right now.

they have medium ones and large ones both. They normally have a good selection. Gone Fishin in courtenay only had the massive ones left. i would suggest get the smallest ones you can based on the bait size out there right now.

Thanks I was hoping critter will stock smaller sizes , No freezer at the cabin.

Just back from critter. No small anchoves. The fish are showing up inside. Seen 6 or so caught at camel 6 am to 9 am we got a 17.5 today. Two days earlier at coopte High fish was 25 next was 20 pounds all on white
hootchie 36 inch leader lost a few too. 73 feet and 93 feet. Lots of under 8 pounders. Of the 25 or so fish hooked 95 % on one side even with running identical gear at identical depth. Any ideas on why

Just back from critter. No small anchoves. The fish are showing up inside. Seen 6 or so caught at camel 6 am to 9 am we got a 17.5 today. Two days earlier at coopte High fish was 25 next was 20 pounds all on white
hootchie 36 inch leader lost a few too. 73 feet and 93 feet. Lots of under 8 pounders. Of the 25 or so fish hooked 95 % on one side even with running identical gear at identical depth. Any ideas on why

haha. hot side! happens all the time on my boat usually starboard rod. wanna go even more crazy? switch rods and same side will still produce

Strange. Last year it was the otherside. 95% more going on the just chance? A few years back i only caught fish if it was a double header. No joke

Leave on Monday morning first thing. How is the road into Cougar Creek? I heard a rumour they were doing some road construction between Cambell River and Gold River

Mike

Back