Marinas selling food for seal feeding

Someone reminded me that it was Fisherman's Wharf that was going to stop selling Seal food and last I was there the Fish Store didn't have the sign up anymore.

Someone reminded me that it was Fisherman's Wharf that was going to stop selling Seal food and last I was there the Fish Store didn't have the sign up anymore.

http://victoriabuzz.com/2017/04/feeding-seals-fishermans-wharf-now-banned/

"Fisheries officers have tried to dissuade the public from feeding seals at local tourist spots such as the Oak Bay Marina and Fisherman’s Wharf for over a decade."

Interesting that DFO has been trying for a decade to get OBMG to do the right thing and they just won't..

We have thrown our fish carcasses in the water for decades with no ill effects. Before coming up with more ******** legislation, why not focus on real problems?

Seals are a real problem. Seals are eating up hundreds of thousands of juvenile salmon in the Salish Sea. Seals only predators are transient (biggs) orcas. Seals that normally can't find enough food end up dying off, but feeding them supports their population. Feeding seals keeps them in the harbour, where their predators can't get them. They stay in the harbour because of easy food source.

Not so much harbour seals, but Sea Lions are aggressive fat bastards. They haunt around marinas looking for cleaning table scraps and other cheap eats. We saw what happened to that little girl last year when that sea lion got pissed off. How about that other viral video of the sea lion snatching the Mahi Mahi out of the guys' hands?

It wouldn't be ******** legislation to have a ticket for feeding seals and other marine mammals.

Seals are a real problem. Seals are eating up hundreds of thousands of juvenile salmon in the Salish Sea. Seals only predators are transient (biggs) orcas. Seals that normally can't find enough food end up dying off, but feeding them supports their population. Feeding seals keeps them in the harbour, where their predators can't get them. They stay in the harbour because of easy food source.

Not so much harbour seals, but Sea Lions are aggressive fat bastards. They haunt around marinas looking for cleaning table scraps and other cheap eats. We saw what happened to that little girl last year when that sea lion got pissed off. How about that other viral video of the sea lion snatching the Mahi Mahi out of the guys' hands?

It wouldn't be ******** legislation to have a ticket for feeding seals and other marine mammals.
Or this Harbour seal attack directly related to fish cleaning

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/seal-pulls-5-year-old-from-dock-b-c-father-1.854163

I also find it hard to believe that the same seal who is fed a salmon at the dock during cleaning wouldn't swim up to the same boat fishing a km away looking for the same handout. Why wait for the salmon to be cleaned when there's less meat and you have to fight for it, just take it off the line.

View attachment 38441

That's DFO's regs.

I think they stopped calling it "seal food" and now call it "chopped herring".

Totally agree. It would be nice if the guides at OB will step it up even if the Marina doesn't. At least in CRD you can just drop the carcass in your green compost / kitchen scrap can and done. I try to freeze and dump next trip if it's not used for bait.
Fixed it for you.........

Damn water rats.png

Back