Townhall metting on Fish Farms and Fisheries in Duncan

fish brain

Crew Member
The Federal NDP Fisheries critic is coming to Duncan on the 18th. I hope that as many of you as possible will turn up to voice your concern over the recent and proposed SRKW refuge areas and the political BS behind them. Let's try to get at least 100 angry Sport Fishers to send the message.
Please post if you are coming
Town Hall on Fish Farms and Fisheries

Wednesday July 18th, 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Lecture Theatre, VIU Cowichan Campus
2011 University Way
Duncan, British Columbia V9L0C7

Join Cowichan-Malahat-Langfrod MP Alistair MacGregor and special guest MP Fin Donnelly, NDP Fisheries Critic, for a discussion on fish farms and other issues affecting fisheries and oceans. They'll be taking your questions and bringing your concerns to Parliament in Ottawa.

open.php

Last edited:
Nice to see some political action on important issue. Where are the conservative leaders on this????

In my riding (covers Area 20) the ONLY local fed/prov. politician to give us the time of day on fisheries issues, actively supporting the Sooke Chinook sea pen, fish farms, closures, reg. changes and their negative impacts on rec fishers and the local economies and business is NDP MP Randall Garrison. So my questions is where are the local conservative leaders on this issue? Apart from Mel Arnold seems like they could care less...

Come on people. Who is going?

I can't believe that no one is planning to go to this? All the anger and frustration about The Libs and DFO making politically motivated closures. Shutting down some the best areas on the south Island and now making plans to shut down LaPerouse and Swftshire banks as well as the top of Graham Island. And no one will comit to taking a couple of hours out of an evening to go and protest to the people who can best help us fight this? Numbers here will get WAY more attention than if I go with my lonley little voice, cuz then I'm just a nutter who they will listen politely to and then ignore. But if we show up in numbers, they will go back to Ottawa and hold Justin and crew to account.
So Who is coming damn it.

Won’t be in the area but any time the SF community has this kind of opportunity to voice concerns to the opposition critic, it should be attended.

I wonder if people are shying away because it’s the NDP? The event Mel Arnold held was well attended.

I’d be there if it was only a couple hours. Being in the Okanagan, it’s just not feasible. That being said, where’s the group from the interior? Or anywhere else other than the island for that matter?

Oh yeah, remember the halibut thread? We got no say. Or maybe no representation is a better way to say it.

Just making an observation. Not looking to argue. It’s been beat to death.

Last edited:
The Federal NDP Fisheries critic is coming to Duncan on the 18th. I hope that as many of you as possible will turn up to voice your concern over the recent and proposed SRKW refuge areas and the political BS behind them. Let's try to get at least 100 angry Sport Fishers to send the message.
Please post if you are coming
Town Hall on Fish Farms and Fisheries

Wednesday July 18th, 6:00pm - 7:30pm
Lecture Theatre, VIU Cowichan Campus
2011 University Way
Duncan, British Columbia V9L0C7

Join Cowichan-Malahat-Langfrod MP Alistair MacGregor and special guest MP Fin Donnelly, NDP Fisheries Critic, for a discussion on fish farms and other issues affecting fisheries and oceans. They'll be taking your questions and bringing your concerns to Parliament in Ottawa.

open.php

Alistair is awesome. He worked with us closely with Shawnigan issue last year. I will go because our area MLA will most likely also go. You will not get the guys in south up here they don't like driving. That's my challenge guys down there!

I would get the message out too some of Tackle places like Buckys in Duncan and also Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Pnt as well.

Nice to see some political action on important issue. Where are the conservative leaders on this????

In my riding (covers Area 20) the ONLY local fed/prov. politician to give us the time of day on fisheries issues, actively supporting the Sooke Chinook sea pen, fish farms, closures, reg. changes and their negative impacts on rec fishers and the local economies and business is NDP MP Randall Garrison. So my questions is where are the local conservative leaders on this issue? Apart from Mel Arnold seems like they could care less...

You guys need to show up with some of your group. I hope to see some south island guys there regardless. Even bringing up the financial impact to Sooke area from currentfish closure right now would be worth sharing.

Wonder if the fact that there are no Conservative MP’s in Sooke plays a role?

Alistair is awesome. He worked with us closely with Shawnigan issue last year. I will go because our area MLA will most likely also go. You will not get the guys in south up here they don't like driving. That's my challenge guys down there!

I would get the message out too some of Tackle places like Buckys in Duncan and also Harbour Chandler in Nanaimo. Pnt as well.
I have already mentioned it to Calvin, but I will remind him.

Here is the letter Alister Mac Gregor sent to Domenic Leblanc. Come on up south of the hatters. I go to your meetings come let them know that you've had it up to the gunnels.

Attachments

• 2018-07-11 Min Fisheries and Oceans - proposed closure of fishing areas.pdf
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 11
I hope the government will look and see what has happened and do something before it is to late.the easiest way to get more fish again put more wild fish in net pens keep them 6 to 8 weeks you will see a very big difference like old times again

Time to get your head out of the bilge. This is about more than area 18, or 20, 0r 121, but about fishing access to all of our coast. Look at he save the whales plan after Swiftshire/ LaPourse and Graham Island the next area is Campbell River to Port Mc Neil. These groups are feeling empowered especially with the current federal government. If we want to stop them we must act together NOW. So buy some $1.50 gas for the car and let the Opposition know that there is support for this otherwise they will move on to other things

I hope the government will look and see what has happened and do something before it is to late.the easiest way to get more fish again put more wild fish in net pens keep them 6 to 8 weeks you will see a very big difference like old times again
So come and tell them Wayne

I don't have contacts at Trotac, PNT or Harbour Chandler, Can someone from those areas let them know
Thanks

Time to get your head out of the bilge. This is about more than area 18, or 20, 0r 121, but about fishing access to all of our coast. Look at he save the whales plan after Swiftshire/ LaPourse and Graham Island the next area is Campbell River to Port Mc Neil. These groups are feeling empowered especially with the current federal government. If we want to stop them we must act together NOW. So buy some $1.50 gas for the car and let the Opposition know that there is support for this otherwise they will move on to other things

My head is not is the bilge - where's yours at? Why the insult? I totally get the big picture. Read my posts all over on this forum - get informed before you run off and make unfounded insults. I've been actively involved in lobbying and conservation issues for a long time putting in many hours of volunteer time. My post was lamenting the lack of support from the various political parties with the serious issues the entire BC rec sector faces - not just an area based compliant as incorrectly assumed.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and commitment - we need more of that in the rec sector if we are going to be successful. However we don't need to take pot shots at each other when we are on the same side. We are facing a lot of pressure right now which makes a lot of us testy, but we need to stay united. Lets focus on working together as a sector to be more effective in bring about positive change.

Last edited:
My head is not is the bilge - where's yours at? Why the insult? I totally get the big picture. Read my posts all over on this forum - get informed before you run off and make unfounded insults. I've been actively involved in lobbying and conservation issues for a long time putting in many hours of volunteer time. My post was lamenting the lack of support from the various political parties with the serious issues the entire BC rec sector faces - not just an area based compliant as incorrectly assumed.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and commitment - we need more of that in the rec sector if we are going to be successful. However we don't need to take pot shots at each other when we are on the same side. We are facing a lot of pressure right now which makes a lot of us testy, but we need to stay united. Lets focus on working together as a sector to be more effective in bring about positive change.
I apologize for the insult, I meant it as a call to action and upon re reading it, I can see how it could be seen as offensive.
Yes I am frustrated by people who would rather comment on the forum than do the things that might actually accomplish something. Sorry if I let that frustration fall onto you. I usually try to keep my posts respectful, but fell short on this one

When area 18 and 20 sportfishing got destroyed, the only WCVI voices I heard were saying that whale watchers need to go.

There are none on the Island
Bingo. It’s easy to muster opposition support from elected members in the areas with disgruntled voters, simply because it may affect their chance of reelection .It’s also easy to get a fisheries critic to criticize government fisheries policy, that’s his job. But I wouldn’t be too concerned about a lack of support from elected members that have no skin in the game. By all means try and build support from them but don’t be surprised if they are more focused on their local issues. Gaining their support is not going to be that easy, but it needs to be done.
I’m still waiting for a reply from either my Green MP, Green MLA,or the Minister, I’m not giving up and as far as I’m concerned this lack of response is going to cost them my vote come election time and I intend on letting them know that!

Last edited:
Back