2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

I've picked up butts straight out from the lighthouse in 150' of water in late July. May not be as plentiful, but they are there. Heading up on the 20th, hopefully the weather is good for head out front. Will report back if get any.

Thanks and good luck! I’ll be up the first week of August, counting down the days.

Bit of heavy duty rigging on these Turds

IMGP3074.jpg

IMGP3077.jpg
Love the needlefish inside a Turd! Gonna give it a go later in August.

Where would i find Tofino Turd? Checked a couple of tackle shops around Vancouver but don't carry any.

Silverhorde carry's Golden Bait Hoochies - to the best of my knowledge they don't come in brown. You can buy direct from Silverhorde.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/co-chq/25-chq-eng.pdf

Chinook map for those interested. Looks like Ferrer closes July 15 again and they chopped Bajo out as well...

Can you explain this a bit to me? So even outside of the RCA near Bajo, the yellow area (practically all of Bajo to Beano) you also can't fish? And for all species or just salmon?

I'm definitely going to need some help on some bottomfishing spots as my plan has been broken with Escalante also out and some of my fave spots along the northern shoreline of Nootka Island.

Just remember, The more weight you add to your hoochie, the less action its going to have. Maybe stiffen up your leader if you add more weight.

Ahhhh, okay thanks for that heads up. Seems I don't use hootchies enough to keep up on proper presentation. Thanks a ton PA!

Can you explain this a bit to me? So even outside of the RCA near Bajo, the yellow area (practically all of Bajo to Beano) you also can't fish? And for all species or just salmon?

I'm definitely going to need some help on some bottomfishing spots as my plan has been broken with Escalante also out and some of my fave spots along the northern shoreline of Nootka Island.

Correct. complete finfish closure. from what i gather from last year when they did this it’s to protect certain runs down the coast.

Just back from five days, fishing was good everyday except Friday before 6.00pm, Then on fire from Coopte to Hoise. Fish really starting to move in. Is Got two days outside as fishing was slow inside. At Friendly Lots of Coho as well. Bait out fished spoons or hooches on our boats about 3 to 1. Biggest caught was 23.98. Many little shakers inside though, 4 for every spring caught. Fished a little deeper as well. Tight lines. Next trip Bamfield.

Just back from five days, fishing was good everyday except Friday before 6.00pm, Then on fire from Coopte to Hoise. Fish really starting to move in. Is Got two days outside as fishing was slow inside. At Friendly Lots of Coho as well. Bait out fished spoons or hooches on our boats about 3 to 1. Biggest caught was 23.98. Many little shakers inside though, 4 for every spring caught. Fished a little deeper as well. Tight lines. Next trip Bamfield.

Thanks for the report, what size is the bait they are feeding on?

3 more sleeps till we will be at critter. Can't wait....first time. Anybody else going to be there then?

3 more sleeps till we will be at critter. Can't wait....first time. Anybody else going to be there then?
I will be fishing out of Tahsis Thursday through Saturday. Looks windy offshore so will probably be stuck fishing inside around the Esperanza area unless it is slow and I may run down to Nootka to try inside.

Back