Replace outboard or just leg. need advice

Sradons

Crew Member
I have 2004 Yamaha f225 with 460 hrs, yesterday the leg went kaboom. the gears inside are wrecked. Should we replace the leg and keep using the outboard or should we upgrade.
In the last year (only owned the boat since May of 2017, we have done the following:
Oil pump, Crank case had oil leak so that got split and resealed, new power/tilt assembly, new oil pressure sensor, new neutral switch sensor.
There is a fair bit of corrosion around the power head and it had a top end rebuild on it before i got it (i didnt find that out till after)

if i was to repower it would more than likely be a yamaha so i can reuse the current rigging.

any advice would be awesome

find a wrecker... get it cheap, use it for this season and next depending on hours you use it... between this season and next, save, find a better motor.

I would check that you can in fact use the same controls/gauges on a new outboard as this may not be the case. From your description, it sounds like the engine that you currently have may not prove to be reliable. Have you explored the possibility of replacing it with an used outboard, maybe a lease return?

Buy a new evinrude G2 250hp and order it without steering. Reuse the old steering. Save you a few dollars. Comes with a great warranty 8-10 years, no service first 5 years or 500 hrs.

That motor seams like a headache at only 460 hours

depends on how much money you want to spend - or you can afford - which may be 2 different choices. A new leg should run ~$6k plus ~$2k on installation, etc. A new engine - more like $15-20K plus ~$5k in installation - so double the amount of a new leg. You only have ~500hrs on the old one - not much. Maybe a compression and oil test could help you decide the state of repair and condition of the old block BEFORE you commit to a new engine? Oil test and compression test should run$200-300. Just an idea..

depends on how much money you want to spend - or you can afford - which may be 2 different choices. A new leg should run ~$6k plus ~$2k on installation, etc. A new engine - more like $15-20K plus ~$5k in installation - so double the amount of a new leg. You only have ~500hrs on the old one - not much. Maybe a compression and oil test could help you decide the state of repair and condition of the old block BEFORE you commit to a new engine? Oil test and compression test should run$200-300. Just an idea..
2k for leg install??? 5k for motor install??? let me no who you deal with I will stay away lol

Reactions: Fox
2k for leg install??? 5k for motor install??? let me no who you deal with I will stay away lol
$60-120/hr shop labour adds up quickly... most dealerships are in the upper end of that range

2k is at 120$ 16 shop hr to replace a leg,take me 2 hrs to take it off replace the impeller change the oil and put it back on
yep - if you have a decent set of tools, some time and interest (maybe a maintenance manual) - much of the labour can be done yourself - esp wrt the lower leg replacement. Personally, I don't think I'd want to take on the headache of motor replacement - unless the new outboard was from the same maker - with similar size and mounting/cables.

yep - if you have a decent set of tools, some time and interest (maybe a maintenance manual) - much of the labour can be done yourself - esp wrt the lower leg replacement. Personally, I don't think I'd want to take on the headache of motor replacement - unless the new outboard was from the same maker - with similar size and mounting/cables.

Like and agree! Just want to mention that leg I posted looks like a rebuilt or an aftermarket. My Merc leg was new OEM for the same price.

Do a search on Yamaha corrosion problems, from what I recall the exhaust burns out and is very dear to replace.

Do a search on Yamaha corrosion problems, from what I recall the exhaust burns out and is very dear to replace.
One would hope if one kept up w one's zinc replacements when needed - that wouldn't happen. Or is it something else?

Yes,1999-2005 Yamaha 225 exhaust housings were not treated properly for corrosion.That being said there are lots around still fine after many hours,I owned one on my last boat, no problem.Google it.

Back