Packaging possession limit

With modern technology. They could set up a cleaning table at each dock with a measuring device.
Snap a picture that is time stamped with a smart phone.
Showing hatch or wild and size.

It already exists really. On the FishingBC app under the catch log you can photograph your catch.

Unfortunately DFO won’t accept this as ‘recording your catch’.

Now this is the problem not getting the info first hand, but my understanding is that the DFO guy stopped this gentleman from filleting his catch. The guy explained that he lived in the park (which is where the cleaning table is located. The DFO officer said that he could gut his fish, walk it to his trailer, filet it and return the carcass to the cleaning station for disposal. Therefore he was compliant with the 'transporting your catch'. Now I come from a law enforcement background and have always tried to enforce laws with a touch of common sense added in knowing that there is a lot of grey to law in general. Tell me how what this DFO officer advised this fella made any sense? Walking the fish 100 yards or less to filet just as he would have at the station...to me that's equivalent to driving at 5km/hr over the speed limit if you know what I mean.
The latest incident on Tuesday afternoon involved what I saw as two local men having filleted their catch thus making the fish "unidentifiable". They also got tagged for not recording their catch. They were not park residents. This enforcement action was legit as they were clearly non-compliant with the regs. It's too easy to gut and gill your catch and bring home to fillet. The remains go in the garden.

The latest incident on Tuesday afternoon involved what I saw as two local men having filleted their catch thus making the fish "unidentifiable". They also got tagged for not recording their catch. They were not park residents. This enforcement action was legit as they were clearly non-compliant with the regs. It's too easy to gut and gill your catch and bring home to fillet. The remains go in the garden.

Prawn Star,

Any chance you could post a picture of the notice the Fisheries officer put up at the cleaning tables?

Yup that is completely different than the other incident and good on him for enforcing that.

Now this is the problem not getting the info first hand, but my understanding is that the DFO guy stopped this gentleman from filleting his catch. The guy explained that he lived in the park (which is where the cleaning table is located. The DFO officer said that he could gut his fish, walk it to his trailer, filet it and return the carcass to the cleaning station for disposal. Therefore he was compliant with the 'transporting your catch'. Now I come from a law enforcement background and have always tried to enforce laws with a touch of common sense added in knowing that there is a lot of grey to law in general. Tell me how what this DFO officer advised this fella made any sense? Walking the fish 100 yards or less to filet just as he would have at the station...to me that's equivalent to driving at 5km/hr over the speed limit if you know what I mean.

Yeah 100 yards is rather picky for sure! It just goes to show you how laws can be interpreted in different ways and enforced differently depending on the officer. Regardless, obviously filleting of the salmon at the cleaning table before 'transporting' the fish 100 yards was still legal if the tail was left attached to one fillet (and as already stated about the exceptions to that reg). The officer should have just stated to the guy that he could filet the fish as per legal transport regs until he reached the trailer. No need to carry whole carcasses to the trailer.

Part of the issue too is I can’t find anywhere in the regulations that says you can not process your fish for transport at something like a cleaning table, which also allows you to fillet your catch assuming you allow for length(s) and identification.

The ‘ordinary residence’ argument is to reset your possession limit to zero, not to process your catch. Or am I missing something?

Part of the issue too is I can’t find anywhere in the regulations that says you can not process your fish for transport at something like a cleaning table, which also allows you to fillet your catch assuming you allow for length(s) and identification.

The ‘ordinary residence’ argument is to reset your possession limit to zero, not to process your catch. Or am I missing something?
You can process your salmon wherever you want. You just need to leave the tail on one side of the fillet, make it clear that the other side goes with that piece (by bagging and labelling properly), and you need to make sure to leave the head on if it is close to too small for the area, or close to too big in slot areas.
Your halibut and lings can also be processed wherever. You need to leave the head and pectoral on a piece and label the rest. There are measurements in the regs for the size of a head-off lings and halis.
I find it simpler and get a better product on short trips if I dress my fish head on, store in well-drained salt ice, and fillet and vacuum when I get home. The tricky part is finding an open dumpster in town if I miss garbage day. The garden is all planted and we have bear aware signs in the neighbourhood so I don't want the heads and bones.

You can process your salmon wherever you want. You just need to leave the tail on one side of the fillet, make it clear that the other side goes with that piece (by bagging and labelling properly), and you need to make sure to leave the head on if it is close to too small for the area, or close to too big in slot areas.
Your halibut and lings can also be processed wherever. You need to leave the head and pectoral on a piece and label the rest. There are measurements in the regs for the size of a head-off lings and halis.
I find it simpler and get a better product on short trips if I dress my fish head on, store in well-drained salt ice, and fillet and vacuum when I get home. The tricky part is finding an open dumpster in town if I miss garbage day. The garden is all planted and we have bear aware signs in the neighbourhood so I don't want the heads and bones.

I understand all that but what I’m gathering is the fisheries officer telling the original person not to fillet/clean/process his fish at the table and needed to go to his trailer (aka ‘ordinary residence’ and return the head and carcas only after he was done at his trailer. All this despite what the regulations state for processing and transporting your catch on the DFO website.

In essence, the fisheries officer was threatening to ticket the guy if he continued to clean and process at the cleaning station. Not to be confused with the second incident of the individual(s) clean filleting the catch, lopping the tail and length requirements.

Not salmon soup so much. Especially the soup left in the bottom of a trash can after 5 days in the the Okanagan sun.
Just got to Ukee and did a quick stroll a the lighthouse. They lied. Flat wind, decent swell. Need to get the boat jobs done and get her in the water. Should have come yesterday.

Not salmon soup so much. Especially the soup left in the bottom of a trash can after 5 days in the the Okanagan sun.
Just got to Ukee and did a quick stroll a the lighthouse. They lied. Flat wind, decent swell. Need to get the boat jobs done and get her in the water. Should have come yesterday.
It WAS sporty today but mañana and Sunday morning look great!

Can someone point me to how I can process my Halis and lings if staying on the boat for an extended trip?? I believe from what I have found so far that I need to keep them whole?!! I hope that’s not the case.
Thanks

Can someone point me to how I can process my Halis and lings if staying on the boat for an extended trip?? I believe from what I have found so far that I need to keep them whole?!! I hope that’s not the case.
Thanks

Do you have a freezer on the boat? If so, leave the fin and tail on one fillet, bag and label well.
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/finfish-peche-eng.html#packaging
If not, I'd leave them in the round, head off maybe. Putting fillets in bags and on ice or in the fridge will be nasty after a while. The other thought would be to just eat what you want, enjoy the coast, release the rest and try to load up on the last two days. You'll need lots of ice.
Another option is to use a licensed processor and do what everyone else does and fish away when that wasn't the intention of that system. It's supposed to be shipped to your home before you fish again.

Back