Just finished up 2 days in ukee. Tuesday did a couple tacks at wha first light... nadda. Went to florencia hooked up right away then grinded out out our 6 by the early afternoon. White hootchies and chovies on bottom, biggest went 32...lost a handful more. Lots of debris in the water fouling up the tack. Only saw a couple other boats hook up, most boats left by 9am. Did a few more tacks at Wya and nothing. Only the odd pocket of bait showing in Florencia. Asides from the big one most were 12-15lbs with one more in low 20s. Picked up 3 chickens close by.
Woke up today and it was one of the calmest days I have seen in ukee...so headed to Big Bank. Hali fishing was on fire with numerous doubles and a triple. Good size avg....tubbed out quick. Trolled for salmon...double right away and pretty consistent for the next few hrs. Best depth was 131 and 157. White hootchie and green glow spoon. A few shakers but most were hatchery reds 10-15lbs..got a couple in low 20s. Our biggest fish were whites. Very few coho around, even ran a surface rod which only got 2 coho.
Another great trip to ukee with the family, love this place. Happy to support this community and its people.
On a side note...I have never seen a killer whale offshore, the only killer whales I have seen were off of Wya and they killed a sea lion. My good buddy who has guided here over the last 25 years has only ever seen one pod of killer whales offshore and they got a sea lion at south bank. These closures will kill these small communities.
**** DFO and their ******** closures!!!!

Just finished up 2 days in ukee. Tuesday did a couple tacks at wha first light... nadda. Went to florencia hooked up right away then grinded out out our 6 by the early afternoon. White hootchies and chovies on bottom, biggest went 32...lost a handful more. Lots of debris in the water fouling up the tack. Only saw a couple other boats hook up, most boats left by 9am. Did a few more tacks at Wya and nothing. Only the odd pocket of bait showing in Florencia. Asides from the big one most were 12-15lbs with one more in low 20s. Picked up 3 chickens close by.
Woke up today and it was one of the calmest days I have seen in ukee...so headed to Big Bank. Hali fishing was on fire with numerous doubles and a triple. Good size avg....tubbed out quick. Trolled for salmon...double right away and pretty consistent for the next few hrs. Best depth was 131 and 157. White hootchie and green glow spoon. A few shakers but most were hatchery reds 10-15lbs..got a couple in low 20s. Our biggest fish were whites. Very few coho around, even ran a surface rod which only got 2 coho.
Another great trip to ukee with the family, love this place. Happy to support this community and its people.
On a side note...I have never seen a killer whale offshore, the only killer whales I have seen were off of Wya and they killed a sea lion. My good buddy who has guided here over the last 25 years has only ever seen one pod of killer whales offshore and they got a sea lion at south bank. These closures will kill these small communities.
**** DFO and their ******** closures!!!!

Same here......in 30 years up in bamfield....ive seen killer's twice......once at Kirby lookin for sea lions.....and once going up alberni channel....lookin for socks....**** this closure and dfo
It's cause of the whales......COME ON

Same here......in 30 years up in bamfield....ive seen killer's twice......once at Kirby lookin for sea lions.....and once going up alberni channel....lookin for socks....**** this closure and dfo
It's cause of the whales......COME ON

Get rid of the seals.....my opinion!

It seems the orcas are justification for DFO to destroy sportfishing and dependant communities with no science to support the closure decisions. Like many others, I have fished inside and outside of Barclay Sound, seeing orcas only very rarely.

There are many variables affecting Chinook survival. Many scientists suggest offshore poaching may be one of the biggest factors, with Korea, Taiwan and Japan running miles long nets in the open Pacific. Perhaps DFO might put some effort into sustaining a fishery where it does the most good.

... also, add China to the list:
The increasingly affluent Chinese middle class has developed an appetite for salmon. Dirk Zeller, a senior scientist and executive director of the “Sea Around Us” project at the University of British Columbia and the lead author on the paper that found the large discrepancy between China’s FAO numbers and likely actual distant-water catch, is not optimistic. “[China] needs to maintain its economy, and fishing is a large part of that,” says Zeller. “Sustainability is not something in their agenda.” - Quartz magazine, April 2017.

Also worth the read: http://www.seaaroundus.org/high-seas-fishing-subsidies/

Last edited:
Hey guys...I know the possible closures and KW's are a hot topic and there are plenty of discussions going on in a couple other threads. Let's try to keep this one for reports. At least reading that fishing is happening and some decent outings are being had helps lift the clouds a little!

Just back. Water was so calm on Wed and Thur. Some guides made their first runs of the year to Big Bank and it was good of course.
I got cohoes at Begg on bait, chinooks near the black rock hotel on small spoons(70 ft), more chinooks at south and lighthouse bank on hoochies and turds on bottom. I did lose a big one offshore at 80 feet on a medium whole herring in a holder. Lighthouse fish had very small herring (half as big as a coho killer) and large shrimp, not prawns but almost as big. I made a couple passes at Flo on Tuesday. Too many boats (mostly guides) doing the tack. Boring. I prefer to fish where the bait is, not where the boats are. Some did well, but they have more patience. Biggest was 18 pounds this trip. Most fish I saw were teens.
I caught more halibut than in other years. Finding the right size on a given day is tricky. Shaking smalls to get a big small, shaking small bigs to get a big big, but not too big. Didn't quite work out perfect, but wife is happy. I did lose one that would have been just right, but I neglected to change a leader after a dog fish and a huge skate.
Back in about a week.
FYI: 22:10 ferry home on a Thursday was $49 total (no boat on return trip)

So I'm heading up to Ucluelet(Salmon Beach) for the first time in about 7 years. I have fished the area extensivley over the years, with my Dad as a kid and then again when we bought a lot at Salmon Beach in my late 20's and 30's. I'm familiar with most the spots, although the nicknames seemed to have changed some. Any advice from anyone fishing the area presently would be greatly appreciated ! We will be going up Sunday to Tuesday if anyone on here is at Salmon Beach ?

Last edited:
So I'm heading up to Ucluelet(Salmon Beach) for the first time in about 7 years. I have fished the area extensivley over the years, with my Dad as a kid and then again when I bought a lot at Salmon Beach in my late 20's and 30's. I'm familiar with most the spots, although the nicknames seemed to have changed some. Any advice from anyone fishing the area presently would be greatly appreciated ! We will be going up Sunday to Tuesday if anyone on here is at Salmon Beach ?
I’m at salmon beach as well
I live on 4th and Saratoga blue pickup
Stop in for a beer and a ********
Just bought in January and would love to exchange knowledge

I’m at salmon beach as well
I live on 4th and Saratoga blue pickup
Stop in for a beer and a ********
Just bought in January and would love to exchange knowledge

Ok thanks will do ! Anyone else been fishing the area recently ? Reports from Bamfield seem good and with the forecasted winds thinking I might start over by Swale.....hopefully get out to some of the south bank and Lighthouse spots if I can....seen someone mentioned the black rock hotel...is that in reference to a resort on shore ? like maybe little beach area ?

Ok thanks will do ! Anyone else been fishing the area recently ? Reports from Bamfield seem good and with the forecasted winds thinking I might start over by Swale.....hopefully get out to some of the south bank and Lighthouse spots if I can....seen someone mentioned the black rock hotel...is that in reference to a resort on shore ? like maybe little beach area ?

Yes that’s where the black rock is

I'll fishing from Ukee Sat-Monday. trophywife mentioned a number of places to try right outside Salmon Beach if it blows on a different thread. Weather looks okay on some apps, but gales on GC forecast.

I’m at Salmon Beach as well. We were up for a week last week the fishing has slowed down along Mussel Beach and up that side. It was very good late June but it should pick up hopefully. Might be a good idea to try Chrow, Alley rock and Great Bear if the coastline along Mussel Beach is still quite . You could try Sail or maybe try a trip to Swale. You should come down to the meeting place at the boat ramp for happy hour from 4- 7 and meet everyone if you are new to the place.

I’m at Salmon Beach as well. We were up for a week last week the fishing has slowed down along Mussel Beach and up that side. It was very good late June but it should pick up hopefully. Might be a good idea to try Chrow, Alley rock and Great Bear if the coastline along Mussel Beach is still quite . You could try Sail or maybe try a trip to Swale. You should come down to the meeting place at the boat ramp for happy hour from 4- 7 and meet everyone if you are new to the place.

good times great people and awesome scenery

Ebbtide do you go down to the bar? We worked there last Monday all day in the rain we got soaked but had a good time, but the new table looks great!

Ebbtide do you go down to the bar? We worked there last Monday all day in the rain we got soaked but had a good time, but the new table looks great!

i do every time i'm there almost like it more than fishing lol
we where there 2 weeks ago and going to be there friday late or saturday

We probably know each other! I’m the middle cabin at the bottom of sixth. We have been at Salmon Beach since 93.

Back