2018 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Nothing at Rosa a day or so ago on a scouting trip. Oh wait... a red perch/rocker. There was a 26# spring from outer rock area the night before a private boat managed to bag. A few fish and bait towards Escalante this am. Zip around the lighthouse, birdwood...

The 5.5 to 6 inch. Got into 14 Springs and 4 halibut yesterday off Esperanza. 160 to 225 on choives and tofino turf.

So just back home after 6 days at Nootka. We fished inside 20 plus hours and did not catch anything. The rain late in the week may fix that. Offshore was the only place we got fish. Bajo to Maquinna produced all our fish 18-20 lbs. All on Chovy 40-60ft. Lots of bait inside the sound and offshore. I think the commercial opening during the week may have slowed Bajo for a few days but those fish are usually south bound transient so give it a day and new fish will probably move in. Back up tomorrow.

Ran out for our last fish before heading back. Managed 6 chinook and 4 hali off esperanza. Another great trip to Rodgers Lodge.

Just got back from a great trip at Rodgers with @cohochinook.
We did well the first day at Black Rock on the small firecracker chovies, but most reports of inside fishing were that it was slow.
You need to get out to the Highway, between Whale’s Tail and The Onion was good for salmon (we did get into a few wild coho unfortunately) and chinook.
My army truck cuttlefish and glow cuttlefish were the best producers for me and bait on the inside. Didn’t fish much metal. Trolled up Hali’s and heard that brown/white turds at around 300’ on the wire were what many guides were using.
I also tried out my seaqualizer and it seemed to work great. Hope the yellow eye we released survive.

What exactly is tofino turf kinda new to the salt game
It's large squid or cuttle fish hoochie. Its Tofino Turd not turf.

Bit of heavy duty rigging on these Turds

IMGP3074.jpg

IMGP3077.jpg

Bit of heavy duty rigging on these Turds

IMGP3074.jpg

IMGP3077.jpg
I stuffed a lighthouse light in mine and hit a hali and a chinook on a turd this trip. Also got a couple hali's on a large lighthouse 6 inch white hoochie. That was an old tip from Springfever. Good for getting hali while salmon trolling.

Good looking rigs DB!

Just got back from Nootka. Fished 2 days, Saturday and Sunday. All on the inside, right out front of the lighthouse. White glow hootchie was a winner, 66' - 80' on the down-rigger. 3 guys on board and we got our spring limit both days and it didn't rain on Sunday! Great time. Stayed at critter, few coho were showing up but no dice for us. 20# was the biggest.

Just returned from a 4 day trip (Saturday-Tuesday) in Esperanza. As mentioned in the prior posts, off-shore is where the fish are. Tried a bit closer in - 5 mile reef, the Pins, 50 fathom line where it turns from east/west to south. No luck whatsoever. Ferrer was a bit hit/miss; however this morning was productive - 4 chinook and lost 1. The other 1/2 dozen boats at Ferrer were also into fish. Hardly anyone fishing on the inside (i.e. Rosa).

Well kidz... just had THE best conditions so far this season. Out to the 'Tail' in less than an hour...
Even the 'instrument' was coughing up nice sized springs the last day and a half...
Try blue spoon or 'white' hootchie on short leaders...

Heading up tomorrow until the 16th, staying a critter cove. Will report back when we return. Hoping the wind lets us outside for at least part of the trip. Any updated word on the lighthouse, birdwood, etc. if its too windy to get outside? Fishing on the change 'em up, 21.5 campion explorer if anyone else is around up there and wants to say hi.

Is there halibut opportunity right outside the sound near Maquinna Pt or the Lighthouse in August? Been looking at maps/navionics trying to locate some places closer in for a smaller boat. It looks like it could produce, but I’m not sure if the halibut would be there in August or if they head for deeper waters

Is there halibut opportunity right outside the sound near Maquinna Pt or the Lighthouse in August? Been looking at maps/navionics trying to locate some places closer in for a smaller boat. It looks like it could produce, but I’m not sure if the halibut would be there in August or if they head for deeper waters

I've picked up butts straight out from the lighthouse in 150' of water in late July. May not be as plentiful, but they are there. Heading up on the 20th, hopefully the weather is good for head out front. Will report back if get any.

Back