Someone hit my trailer hitch and wants me to pay for the damage?! Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Go.Fish

Parked in front of Starbucks this morning, came back to the truck and found a note tucked into the drivers front window seal.

I’m the amateur driver???

I keep the hitch in while not towing specifically for this reason, glad you didn’t hit my back bumper!! :) Can’t find any BC law against it, so don’t think it’s worthwhile giving my side of the story
index.php

Attachments

• AA727DDC-8DD5-4CB1-A2B2-8568E4DB3D78.jpeg
    AA727DDC-8DD5-4CB1-A2B2-8568E4DB3D78.jpeg
    711.5 KB · Views: 418
  • upload_2018-7-11_8-58-31.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-11_8-58-31.jpeg
    711.5 KB · Views: 378
thats a new one lol. i dont think you have anything to worry about as he hit you but maybe someone else on here has experience with this type of issue.

Seems to me the driver would be at fault. You were parked.

It is possible someone with a trailer hitch backed into his front bumper, and then when he returned and saw damage to his car, he assumed it came from your hitch backing into his parked car then driving away to park.

I would call ICBC and report 'a strange note on your dash' but that you did not hit anybody and do not see anywhere where anyone hit your car.

Get ahead of it with ICBC - my guess is someone else backed their tow bar into his front bumper and he's assuming that someone was you.

Yeah was definitely parked and when I got to the parking lot I had pulled through that spot so was nose out for when I left, it was 615am, pretty empty when I got there. Funny thing is I googled the guys picture and I know him, he’s a regular and we were chatting this morning. Funny he didn’t mention it
Just sent him a text saying sorry about the damage, i’ll buy him a coffee but unfortunately not interested in paying for the damage.
Kinda made my day but feel a teeny bit bad about it

I've heard you CAN get a ticket for having a hitch installed without a trailer attached. She may have something. Don't have anything to back it up but I do the same as you (the extra protection lol) and I've had two people tell me that.

I've heard you CAN get a ticket for having a hitch installed without a trailer attached. She may have something. Don't have anything to back it up but I do the same as you (the extra protection lol) and I've had two people tell me that.
I’ve seen discussion on other forums about other provinces having a law that when not in use the hitch should be removed. Can’t find anything like that in BC.

Last edited:
As a retired RCMP member I can't say I have ever heard of anything about leaving your hitch in the receiver. Mine is in at all times. If it is in the hands of the police then I am guessing that they are alleging you backed into them. I don't think you could possibly be at fault for parking your vehicle legally in a parking lot. I'm no expert. Look forward to hearing the results..

As a retired RCMP member I can't say I have ever heard of anything about leaving your hitch in the receiver. Mine is in at all times. If it is in the hands of the police then I am guessing that they are alleging you backed into them. I don't think you could possibly be at fault for parking your vehicle legally in a parking lot. I'm no expert. Look forward to hearing the results..
The RCMP are involved because my dad is a retired officer :) he made the suggestion I call them... if the images don’t show up it’s photos of a text conversation... basically calls me a freeloader and he’ll return the favour to damage to my truck the next time he sees it. Hence the RCMP call. Just waiting for them to tell me what he said

Some people sheesh.

If it was your hitch - it'd be at a certain height as compared to anyone elses - and that would show on her front end. Also, if it was your hotch some of her paint should be on your hitch. Call the forensics team!!!

I had a similar experience. I had my hitch in, some young guy rear ended me while I was at a full stop at an intersection. No damage to my truck but his civic had a nice big hole in the radiator where the hitch punched right through it. He started spouting off about how it was not legal to have the hitch installed and that I should be 100% at fault for the damage to his car. The police showed up and told him he was 100% at fault and that there is no rule about installed hitches. I did however let the officer know I was pretty sure he was texting when he hit me. hopefully he got a fine too...

I had a similar experience. I had my hitch in, some young guy rear ended me while I was at a full stop at an intersection. No damage to my truck but his civic had a nice big hole in the radiator where the hitch punched right through it. He started spouting off about how it was not legal to have the hitch installed and that I should be 100% at fault for the damage to his car. The police showed up and told him he was 100% at fault and that there is no rule about installed hitches. I did however let the officer know I was pretty sure he was texting when he hit me. hopefully he got a fine too...

Similar experience years ago. Driver wanted to have me fined for a protruding hitch, RCMP officer explained to her (more then once) there is nothing in the motor vehicle act for having a trailer hitch on a truck when the hitch is not in use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back