2018 Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament

profisher

The tournament website has been updated for the 2018 event which will be held on Saturday August 11th and Sunday August 12th. There are a couple of small tweaks/typos yet to fix on the website but for the most part it is now up to date. There is also some new content. Check out all the details at: www.jdfderby.ca

I would like to welcome some new sponsors to this years event. Anchor Marine, Bass Pro, Mustang Survival and Yum Yum baits have committed to helping us this year and the organizers would like to welcome them aboard! This event continues to build each year with generous support and great prizes and all for a great cause.

I made my way around to all the ticket retail outlets this week and they all now have a supply of tournament tickets. They can also be bought online through the website.

We have a new sponsor deal program just getting under way. We have a new page on the tournament website called "Sponsor Special Deals" and is found in the sponsor drop down tab. I have asked our many tournament sponsors to offer our 2018 ticket holders discounts on their products or services. The sponsors simply create their own ads with the size of the ad dependent on the level of their support to the tournament. Sponsors may change their offer up to 4 times per year to promote discounts on seasonal products and services. Sponsors will capture the business of the 500 ticket holders and the ticket holders will be easily able to recover their tournament ticket price with the savings. Our 1st ad has been added to the new page and it should populate in the coming weeks as we receive more ads. Check it out here: http://jdfderby.ca/sponsors-deals/

Our new 2018 poster is done and a new tradition begins. The winner from the previous event will be featured on the next tournament poster. Who will win the $20,000.00 cash this summer and have poster bragging rights in 2019?

Attachments

• posterpic.JPG
    posterpic.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 81
Just wanted to let everyone know that our new area boundary for the tournament will obviously he adjusted from Jordan River to Otter Point as a result of the new regs.
I have also confirmed this years line up of raffle prizes available at the banquet. Once again participants and tournament volunteers (organizing committee excluded) will be able to buy a $10.00 bundle of tickets (3 premium prize tickets and 9 regular prize tickets) or a $20.00 bundle of tickets. (9 premium prize tickets and 27 regular prize tickets) The first..ts 3 prizes are premium prizes and the remaining 7 are regular prizes. All proceeds to the Sooke Sea Pen Project.
1. Honda Self Powered Lawn Mower - Courtesy of Butler Brothers Supplies & SG Power Products - value $860.00
2. Samsung 50 inch 4K LED Smart TV - Courtesy of Heckler's Bar & Grille & Atlas Audio Visual Unlimited - value $700.00
3. 40 Inch Masterbuild Digital Smoker - Courtesy of Bass Pro - value $650.00
4. Icom VHF Radio with GPS - Coutesty of Anchor Marine - value $500.00
5. 168 Piece Metric Socket Set - Courtesy of Progressive Growth Hydroponics - value $336.00
6. 50 Quart Calcutta Cooler - Courtesy of Intercon Marine & Trotac Marine - value $265.00
7. Case of Bait - Courtesy of ATP Bait & Tackle - value $225.00
8. 2- Group 24 Marine Batteries - Courtesy of Canadian Energy - value $375.00
9. Bushnell 7 X 50 Binoculars - Courtesy of Cheanuh Marina & Trotac Marine
10. Single Burner Cooker & Pot - Courtesy of West Coast Tires & Trotac Marien - value $210.00

Total value of all 10 prizes in $4,168.00 Thank you to all the generous support form the sponsors who made this great list possible.

I want to give everyone a list of some of the top prizes to be won this year. I haven't been able to get enough detail yet to compile a completed list that I can post on the website. While I wait for those details I want to give timely info for those considering participating this August.

The top 12 heaviest Chinook salmon win major prizes. Here is what we have determined so far.
1st $20,000.00 cash - courtesy SVIAC
2nd Man Cave Package - Samsung 55 inch 4k LED TV, Yamaha 5.1 Home Theater Package, Music Hall Turntable, Sonos Music streaming system, tech craft stand and Sony wireless noise cancelling headphones - $4000.00 plus value
3. Lowrance Electronics Package - courtesy of Island Outfitters & Lowrance - value TBD
Other top 12 are: order to be determined when all details are in
14 X 16 Camp tent with floor, porch and stove - courtesy of Polar Bear Equipment - value $3000.00
Auto Body & Paint - courtesy Prancing Horse Autobody - $2,500.00 value
Seastar Steering Package - complete hydraulic steering system includes tilt helm - courtesy of Seastar Solutions - value $2.075.00
2 Scotty Downiggers - courtesy of Scotty - value TBD
$500 Gas Card and Islander MR3 and rod - courtesy Peninsula Co-Op & Islander - value $1100.00
$1000.00 Auto Repairs or New Tires - courtesy Big -O Tires Westshore
Inflatable Tender/raft and Mercury 4 stroke Outboard - courtesy Vector Yacht Services - value TBD
Kayak - courtesy Cap-It value $1100.00
2 Cannon Electric Downriggers - courtesy Cannon Downriggers - value $2,400.00
Other top Prizes
Hidden Weight Saturday - Coast Dr1 Reel - courtesy Coast Reels - value $600.00
Hidden Weight Sunday - Coast Dr1 Reel - courtesy Coast Reels - value $600.00
Largest Hatchery Chinook - 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust - Sherwood Marine Centre - value TBD
Junior Winner - bike TBD - courtesy Marty's mountain Cycle & Prancing Horse Autobody
Ladies Winner - Sooke Harbour House Package including spa and fishing charter -courtesy Sooke Harbour House Hotel and Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd
Many more fish draw prizes that I will list as they are confirmed. Top draw prize is a 9,9 Yamaha High Thrust 4 stroke outboard - courtesy SG Power Products - value TBD
This years Sooke Food Bank Draw Prize is a Bradley Digital Smoker

Wow, awesome prizes! Thanks to the sponsors and organizers

This $20,000.00 cheque could be ready to deposit into your bank account on August 12th, 2018. Join us on August 11th and 12th and support the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen Project with your ticket purchase of this years event. Over $100,000.00 in prizes to be won. As always your ticket purchase includes a free tournament hat, t-shirt and a roast beef buffet at the awards ceremony wrap up. Check out the details and buy tickets at www.jdfderby.ca (credit card purchases) Tickets are also available at our retail outlets: Alpine Marine, Eagle Eye Outfitters, Island Outfitters, Pedder Bay RV Resort & Marina and Trotac Marine

Attachments

• presentation cheques 2018-01-1.jpg
    presentation cheques 2018-01-1.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 18
Here is our revised top prize list for this years event. I will include the vast list of "Fish Draw" prizes (when I have most of them compiled) which are awarded by draw to those who simply register a fish at the scale with a minimum of 5 pounds to qualify. The fish draw prizes include a 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust from SG Power Products and Yamaha.

1st. $20,000.00 cash Courtesy of South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition (SVIAC)

2nd. Man Cave Package - Samsung 55" 4K LED Smart TV, Yamaha 5.1 Home Theatre Package, Music Hall Turntable, Sonos Streaming System, A/S Stand & Sony Wireless Noise Cancelling Headphones - (Value - $4,500.00) - Courtesy of Oak Bay Marine Group & Atlas Audio Visual Unlimited

3rd. New Power Package - 9.9 Yamaha High Thrust 4 Stroke with Electric Start & Power Tilt - (Value $4,140.00) Courtesy of Sherwood Marine Centre & Yamaha

4th. The I Can See You Package - Lowrance Electronics Package - package components and value details TBD - Courtesy of Island Outfitters & Lowrance

5th. The Save My Back Package - Shockwave helm seat and suspension module - (Value $2,500.00) Courtesy of Shockwave

6th. The Steady As She Goes Package - Complete Seastar Hydraulic Steering System (Value $2000.00) - Courtesty of Seastar Solutions

7th. The Balls Deep Package - 2 Scotty H.P 2106 Electric Downriggers (Value $1600.00) Courtesy Of Scotty

8th. The Get Away Package - 2 Canuck game tickets, (game of your choice) return flights and 1 night Hotel Stay (Value $1500.00) Courtesy Of Harbour Air & SVIAC)

9th. The Pass The Pump Package $500.00 Gas Card, Islander MR-3 Reel & 9.5ft Trophy Rod (Value $1,300.00) Courtesy of Islander, Campus Auto Group & Peninsula Co-Op)

10th. The Yes I Do Have A Picture Package - Canon SX60 HS Camera, Go Pro Hero 5 Camera with Memory Cards & Accessories - (Value $1,225.00) Courtesy of Cheanuh Marina

11th. The Traction Package - Your Choice of New Tires or Auto Repairs (Value $1,000.00) Courtesy of Big- O-Tires Westshore

12th. The Go Deep Package - One Cannon Magnum 10 STX Downrigger (Value $850.00) Courtesy of Cannon

Heaviest Hatchery Chinook - The Home Away From Home Package - 14 X16 Wall Tent With Floor, Porch, Windows & Stove, includes Camp Chef 3 Burner Stove, Smoker Vault, BBQ Grille Box, Grizzly Cooler, Folding Table & Large Cast Skillet - (Value $4,700.00) Courtesy Of Cap-It & Polar Bear Equipment

Heaviest Halibut - The 117cm Mini Barn Door Package- Complete Anchoring System (Value $1,250.00) Courtesy of Trotac Marine

Junior Champion (under 16 years) Mountain Bike (Value) TBT Courtesy of Marty's Mountain Cycle & Prancing Horse Autobody

Ladies Champion - Gourmet Package - One night Stay & Dinner for Two At The Sooke Harbour House, 6 Hour Fishing Charter & Spa Service (Value $1,300.00) Courtesy of Sooke Harbour House, Sooke Salmon Charters Ltd & Campus Auto Group

Hidden Weight Saturday - Coast DR-1 Mooching Reel (Value $600.00) Courtesy of Coast Reels

Hidden Weigh Sunday - Coast DR-1 Mooching Reel (Value $600.00) Courtesy of Coast Reels

Hidden Time Saturday - Coleman 120 Quart Extreme Cooler (Value $189.00) Courtesy of Heggelund Fishing

Hidden Time Sunday - Coleman 120 Quart Extreme Cooler (Value $189.00) Courtesy of Intercon Marine

Sooke Food Bank Draw - Bradley 4 Tray Digital Smoker (Value $550.00) Courtesy of Bradley Smoker

Last edited:
Ok I have put together a partial list of the draw prizes that are awarded by drawing tickets from those who registered fish at the scales. One draw ticket per fish entered. So if you limit out both days with salmon and halibut you can have 6 draw tickets and could win up to 6 of these prizes per person. More prizes will be announced.

9.9 Yamaha High Thrust - value $3,500.00 SG Power Products
Coast DR-1 Mooching Reel - value $600.00 Coast Reels
$500.00 Gas Card Peninsula Co-Op
Easy-Motor-Toter - value $400.00 Mercury Sales & Service
2- 5 Hour Halibut Charters - value $600.00 each Foghorn Fishing Charters
400 piece Socket & Tool Set - value $840.00 Northwest Aluminum Craft
320 Piece Socket & Tool Set - value $725.00 Northwest Aluminum Craft
Mustang Hydrostatic PFD - value $300.00 Mustang Survival
Round Of Golf for 2 with power cart - value $188.00 Highland Pacific Golf
Round Of Golf for 2 with power cart - value $188.00 Highland pacific Golf
Round Trip 2 passengers & Vehicle - value $180.00 BC Ferries
Xantrex 600 Watt Inverter - value $250.00 Canadian Energy
Cannon Mag 10 downrigger - value $800.00 Cannon Downriggers
Buddy Portable Heater - Value $139.00 Progressive Growth Hydroponics
Standard Portable VHF Radio - value $130.00 Campus Auto Group
Peetz Hali Harpoon - Value $100.00 Campus Auto Group
Chef's Choice Electric Knife Sharpener - value $75.00 Christie Phoenix Insurance
Grunden 2 Piece Rain Gear Set - value $140.00 Prancing Horse Autobody & Paint
Weekend Premium Car Rental Budget Rent A Car Of Victoria
3 prizes of Ultra Premium Wine Kits The Wine maker
Custom Aluminum Fish Carrying Tote Crest Sheet Metal
4 prizes of $50.00 Fish Processing Finest At Sea
Room Painting Package Cloverdale Paint
2 Scotty Big Game Rod Holders Scotty
2-2 adult tickets whale watching prizes Springtide Whale Watching
10 Coleman Bait Box Prizes Christie Phoenix Insurance, Home Hardware Sidney, Heggelund Fishing & Intercon Marine
5 prizes of $100 auto repair vouchers Burt's Automotive
3 prizes of $100 marine repair/parts vouchers Forsch Marine
6 prizes of 2 1/2 pound ABC Fire Extinguishers Fire Safe
3 prizes- single tickets to 2019 Bellingham Anglers Derby Bellingham Anglers
Diawa 10.5 Rod Berry's Bait & Tackle
Your Own Personal Dock Wheelbarrow Cheanuh Marina
Pair of Zero Gravity Lounge Chairs Heggelund Fishing
Master Chef Portable BBQ Christie Phoenix Insurance
2 Scotty Orca Rod Holders Christie Phoenix Insurance
6 Knife & Multi Tool Prizes SOG Knives
Crab Trap Package Prancing Horse Autobody & Paint
Axe Handle Type Gaff Hot Spot Lures
2 Way Radios Home hardware Sidney
High Back Garlick Deck Chair Hot Spot Lures
LED Light Bar Industrial Plastics & paint
Stanley 2 quart thermos Heggelund Fishing
Danielson Landing Net Campus Auto Group
Folding Prawn Trap Industrial Plastics & Paint
Electric Trolling Motor Minn Kota
St Croix Mojo Jig Rod St Croix
Level 1 First Aid Kit Home Hardware Sidney
Stanley Wide Bottom Coffee Mug Heggelund Fishing
Plano Tackle Box Home Hardware Sidney
Boat Dock Lines Campus Auto Group
Promar Rod belt Home Hardware Sidney
10" Victorinox Fillet Knife Heggelund Fishing
Mustad Dry Bag Progressive Growth Hydroponics
Reel & Gear bag Intercon Marine
$100 chroming voucher Victoria Plating
Mini Wall Pack Light Unit (Metal Halide) Albrite Lighting
Floating Arm Pack Industrial Plasitic & Paint
Azus Notepad Gizmos Computers
Dry Gear Box Intercon Marine
Men's Hair Cut Fish Salon

There will be many more to come but I have no details to post. We also draw for anywhere from 75 to 100 tackle grab bags with tackle from Hot Spot, Dura Baits, Krippled Lures, AP Tackleworks, Protroll Fishing Products & more. I will continue this fish draw prize list as they come in.
DON"T FORGET....IF YOU BUY YOUR TICKET AFTER JULY 16TH...YOU WILL NOT GET A FREE TOURNAMENT T-SHIRT!! Our t-shirt order is placed on July 16th so we have them to hand out at the first pub night on Thursday July 26th. We only order for those tickets sold before the deadline.

Last edited:
Our July 16th t-shirt deadline is only a week away. We will be placing our order based on the tickets sold by that date. If you buy tickets after July 16th you will not get the free 2018 tournament t-shirt.

So who's going in this derby? I got my ticket.

This is one of the biggest derbies on the island with lots of prizes and chances to win and it takes place when the slot size restrictions will most likely be off!

The money made from this derby goes to supporting the Sooke Chinook Sea Pen project - a very worthy cause.

The slot restrictions will be removed by the end of July. We hope to see a big spike in ticket sales by the 16th which will convince the organizers that there is support for this event in 2018. Right now we are about $10,000 in the red with out of pocket costs and looking at injecting a further $30,000.00 to fulfill all tournament obligations. This is the time for anglers to prove that it is not only whale watchers that are supporting salmon enhancement. Sorry to throw in the politics but the Sooke Sea Pen Project is too important to not do what it takes to keep it funded.

Thank you Howard. It appears you bought 2 tickets? I have 2 separate PayPal transactions for you...is that correct?

Back