2018 Port McNeill, Telegragh Cove Reports

Any recomendations on who to go with for a half day charter that may have availability next week? I have Tuesday to Friday off, and would like to go out with the wife and two kids. Not sure if the North Island is the best area to go, we live in Qualicum.

15 days until I hit the road for the 15 hour drive to Telegraph! Woo Hoo!!!! Can't wait for some R&R and some fish. I have been getting some decent reports of fish being caught. Looking like good times

Heading up to Alder Bay next Thursday for a month. The new owners are making some significant improvements to the marina, with new floats and a really nice big log boom to protect the boats. My boat is already happy about the whole thing. Hopefully it will get some blood on its decks!

Heading up to Alder Bay next Thursday for a month. The new owners are making some significant improvements to the marina, with new floats and a really nice big log boom to protect the boats. My boat is already happy about the whole thing. Hopefully it will get some blood on its decks!
Was very disappointed with the grounds keepers and the failure to keep up the maintenance of alder bay the last 2 years. I had a great trip 2 weeks ago and only used alder bay as a launch site as I stayed on the water. I did notice that the new owners had an excellent break water in place and they were working on the slips. I was impressed with the progress and the quality of the improvements. I'm a little worried about the cost that will follow.

Just got back from 4 nights at alder bay! Fishing was not great for us... but we did manage to get a couple hits a day. All fish were caught on anchovies. Spoons and hoochies got no action at all. One day we found a ball of hearing being picked off by birds so we pulled up beside it and dipped the salmon net, it was so full we could hardly lift it into the boat... after letting most of them flop out of the net we were left with a pail of bait to use for the week!

On a side note the breakfast at the new food truck at alder bay is awesome!

And getting fuel at telegraph cove is a **** show... it took me an hour of trying to chase someone down to run the pumps. which are only open from 10-3:30 and apparently I’m lucky to even get any as it’s only there for the tour groups... next time I’ll bring more Jerrycans.

9B507E78-E16E-4E00-AE2B-FE4137697FFD.jpeg A9EF6545-A2B8-4E72-8970-15A10D73F3EE.jpeg B1975044-9514-40CA-918A-C7C21DCB032C.jpeg A36720EF-95A3-4011-84A1-A1B1E216A9EC.jpeg

Was very disappointed with the grounds keepers and the failure to keep up the maintenance of alder bay the last 2 years. I had a great trip 2 weeks ago and only used alder bay as a launch site as I stayed on the water. I did notice that the new owners had an excellent break water in place and they were working on the slips. I was impressed with the progress and the quality of the improvements. I'm a little worried about the cost that will follow.

$30 a night moorage as a result

That's good to hear about Alder putting in a break water. The only time that I have ever driven down to their place it was a pretty windy day out of the NW and boy, those boats sure were getting pounded by the waves.

As far as fuel at the TC dock, I will have to check into that myself. I don't like to run all the way to Port McNeil to get fuel, as that is wasted time and fuel. I sent the folks at TC Resort a note, I'll post up what they have to say. Sometimes a guy has to track the fuel dock attendant down, but I have never had any issues, other than time of day getting fuel. I always shoot for a lunch time fill up. I wish that they would man that dock from sun up to sun down, but that isn't the case.

As far as fishing goes, my sources are saying that it has been good with a few great days mixed in. Looks like some are doing better than others, but that is fishing.

Does anybody know how long of a run (on decent water) it is from Port McNeil to Port Hardy? I've never done it, but am thinking about taking a ride one day for a break from fishing.

Does anybody know how long of a run (on decent water) it is from Port McNeil to Port Hardy? I've never done it, but am thinking about taking a ride one day for a break from fishing.

About 25 miles harbour-to-harbour, so 45 min - 1 1/2 hours depending on how fast you travel. No need to take a break from fishing, Duval/Daphne/Dillon Points and Masterman and Doyle Islands are all close by Hardy Bay and worth dropping the lines at.

Second the comment about the fuel dock at Telegraph Harbour. Was not impressed with my one experience there last summer. Port McNeill might be a bit of a run, but way better service and prices.

I'm at TC for 4 months this year, is getting fuel a problem , not really. If there is a wait then the attendant is already there, if not ,walk up to the restraunt and tell them you need fuel and in a couple minutes your getting fuel. if your not catching fish don't blame the fuel dock because your already pissed off.:)

I guess its ok for them to tell you someone will be there in 10 min and then when you go back in 20 min to check what happened they tell you they seated a table and you have to wait 20 more min for the cook to finish cooking before he can pump your fuel...

FYI I wasn't pissed about not catching fish as I was spending time with my family and that's the most important thing to me. what I was pissed about is being jerked around and I thought others on here might like to know.

have a nice summer.

I'm at TC for 4 months this year, is getting fuel a problem , not really. If there is a wait then the attendant is already there, if not ,walk up to the restraunt and tell them you need fuel and in a couple minutes your getting fuel. if your not catching fish don't blame the fuel dock because your already pissed off.:)
Capt Eddy ...you always get fuel quickly because you are the mayor of TC !!!! See you on the weekend

I have to be honest and say that TC has been a bit **** when it comes to service. I usually book a year in advance and pick a boat slip that is easy to get into and out. The last two years in a row they have given my slip away to some Americans while telling me that there system screwed up. I then ended up in the tightest slip with almost no room to manurver in and out.

One of reasons it made it easy to decide to skip tc this year and introduce the wife to winter harbour

Capt Eddy ...you always get fuel quickly because you are the mayor of TC !!!! See you on the weekend
Not yet, and probably never. My days in fishing politics is over. I'll watch for you. We need to have a fish day together this year

My wife and I are headed north out of Victoria and trying to decide where to spend the week fishing. Any good reports from Port Hardy area? We heard a few reports that it was slow, but from last week. May head west to Barkely, but we really would prefer Hardy and the Broughtons if salmon are in and we might scratch up a halibut or two?

Hard to say. Gale force NW winds yesterday, today and forecast for tomorrow. Don't expect there will be too many boats out for a few days.

Those that braved the wind today came in with a few fish Coho and Springs. One boat had 4 Springs, 2 over 25

Nice we stayed in today hoping to get out there tomorrow wind is looking light in the am.

Back